Options

Coaxial bulkhead connector

TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
I'm considering having a connector installed on the side of my T@B CS-Max (similar to the Cable TV connector) to connect my home's satellite service to a receiver in the trailer so that the coax cable doesn't pass through the window.  Has anyone done anything like that?  If so, who would you suggest I contact.  The dealer I purchased the T@B from doesn't do that and couldn't recommend anyone.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I may be misunderstanding but my T@B (2015) has an external coax connector.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Tweedrvr said:
    I'm considering having a connector installed on the side of my T@B CS-Max (similar to the Cable TV connector) to connect my home's satellite service to a receiver in the trailer so that the coax cable doesn't pass through the window.  Has anyone done anything like that?  If so, who would you suggest I contact.  The dealer I purchased the T@B from doesn't do that and couldn't recommend anyone.

I agree with PXLated that I thought that T@B CS-M@X's came with coax connectors on the outside of the driver's side of the T@B, unless you ordered one without the TV and coax connection. 

Are you wanting to install an additional coaxial connection?

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I ordered without the media package but had them include the coax and radio antenna anyway in case I ever wanted to add later.
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Unless you have the CS, the coax on the outside is directly connected to the TV RF input. On the CS goes through a splitter as it feeds both the kitchen and inside TV. The splitter won't support the frequencies needed for satellite TV. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    mawebb said:
    Unless you have the CS, the coax on the outside is directly connected to the TV RF input. On the CS goes through a splitter as it feeds both the kitchen and inside TV. The splitter won't support the frequencies needed for satellite TV. 
    That is true and I had a conversation with a T@G owner who didn't understand why DISH wouldn't hook up his satellite dish to his T@G with the splitter and two TV's. You must have home runs for the satellite to work, that is, the cable must go from the one TV straight to the receiver and then to the dish. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

Thank you all. The comments from mawebb and Verna are correct, and that's where the problem was...with the splitter. So, yes, I'm looking to add a 2nd coax connector.  Any suggestions on who might be able to do that? 

• Options

Tweedrvr, if you're going to Tearstock, you could have it done there. If not, my problem is that I don't have my T@B yet and, while I know what the wall construction is, I don't know how to tell you where to drill so the connection will be drilled into a solid aluminum stud so the screws will stay in place.  So, unless we have a member here who has drilled through the side of the T@B, my best advice is to ask the Pleasant Valley factory exactly where the studs are, and where is the best place to put the second connection. 

I take the splitter is not visible to you, not even under the driver's side bench seat where the other wiring is. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Hi, Verna, afraid I'n not going anywhere until the fall and then probably just the east coast.  I like your suggestion and will make a few phone calls to determine the best spot or perhaps other options.  The dealer told me when I asked where the splitter was, that it I would have to pull out the Jensen unit and I sure didn't want to get into that.  Thanks, again. 
    Martha in Pittsfield, VT, 2015 T@B CS-Maxi "Silver Dome" towed by 2015 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It
    Tweedrvr said:
    Hi, Verna, afraid I'n not going anywhere until the fall and then probably just the east coast.  I like your suggestion and will make a few phone calls to determine the best spot or perhaps other options.  The dealer told me when I asked where the splitter was, that it I would have to pull out the Jensen unit and I sure didn't want to get into that.  Thanks, again. 
    Martha in Pittsfield, VT, 2015 T@B CS-Maxi "Silver Dome" towed by 2015 Subaru Forester

It is super simple- 4 square-headed screws and it pulls out. To reassemble, same 4 screws.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Aaah, Jenn.  Thank you.

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I would think the splitter is behind the inside TV, as the Jensen entertainment unit does not connect to, or control the RF (coaxial) connection. It might be behind the wall bracket, but that's a guess. Have you had a look under the drivers side bench, as that is where most of the wiring is run?
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    No I haven't. Afraid I wouldn't know what I was looking for. It's something the Dish installer told me. Thank you tho. 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have a Dutchman Clamshell and my dealer simply drilled a hole in the side of my T@B and then mounted a coax connector.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    CgullettCgullett Member Posts: 20
    I'm actually planning to do this. Amazon sells the connector, and I'm thinking of just installing it on front of my 2014 T@b CS-S, directly behind the Jensen. I installed a shelf directly under the Jensen that holds a Dish receiver.  The Sat receiver can hook to the available AUX input on the Jensen, it appears. 
    Connector: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LF70DK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    Sat Receiver: http://www.amazon.com/DISH-Solo-Receiver-ViP-211z/dp/B00D2Z2PCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433214600&sr=8-1&keywords=Dish+TV
    Shelf: http://t.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-15-5-in-W-x-15-5-in-L-Chestnut-Shelf-SK17644r1/203876012/
    Mouseketab- that's what I thought I'd do but 
    Cgullett's set up sounds good too. With it coming in the window I have cable all over the place and no good spot for the receiver. Taking my time in deciding but appreciate all the comments. 
  • Options
    Here are a couple of pictures of my mod. Very simple and very inexpensive. 
  • Options
    Cgullett-I ordered the connector. How is the receiver connected to the Jensen? Is that in place of plugging it in as there is no outlet. I hope there is a schematic in the manual.
  • Options
    Seems half of my comment is missing.  I was wondering how you attached the shelf (screws or a really good adhesive)?  I've been sitting in the camper with my collection of manuals and my head is swimming.  I need "people."!  I am not in my comfort zone! lol
    Martha in Pittsfield, VT with my '15 T@B CS Max.
  • Options
    Hi Tweedrvr - on my Jensen there is an unused three line rca connector for 'Aux'. The rca cable from the Dish 211z sat receiver and AC power line go up through a hole I drilled up into the cabinet bottom. I used plastic cable grommets, like used on an office desk, to protect the wires in the hole since they'll probably rub when the trailer is moving.

I'd suggest checking the inputs on your Jensen first, to make sure you match up with the receiver.

I'd suggest wrapping the metal portions of the coax connector, where it's going through the T@b external wall, with electrical tape so it does not contact the metal components of the wall.

I'm powering the sat receiver with a small inverter dedicated for its use that taps into the 12v power line for the Jensen. The sat receiver appears to draw about 20-25 watts, so a pretty small inverter will work. 

The shelf came with a nice matching metal bracket set, and they screw up into the bottom of the cabinet above, or alternatively you could use shorter screws. I put a piece of heavy-duty Velcro tape on the front bottom of the sat receiver to ensure it won't move when traveling. 

Keep in mind this is a work in progress for me. I've not finished it yet and not gotten to the point of turning it on. Due to my work schedule I may not reach a point of turning it on until the weekend of 6/13. If all the electronics work the first time without a hitch I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    You are a gem. I follow everything you said except for the inverter part. I might have to enlist some outside help for that. I truly appreciate taking your time to explain all this to me. Thank you. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited June 2015
    Tweedrvr said:
    You are a gem. I follow everything you said except for the inverter part. I might have to enlist some outside help for that. I truly appreciate taking your time to explain all this to me. Thank you. 
    The inverter is more simple tan you thing. You just plug it into the cigarette lighter plug and then the satellite box into the inverter. Here is an inverter: http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DRINVP100-100W-Pocket-Inverter/dp/B004U29IKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433435070&sr=8-1&keywords=50+watt+inverter

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Hi JKJenn - Yep. For my install I don't want tie up a plug and I want to hide all the wiring. That's why I'm going to wire it into the same circuit as the Jensen. 

The inverter you listed is the same one I bought, I believe. 
    Following up on this.... I haven't hooked up the dish yet, but I have the receiver working. A couple of things to note: 1) don't use an inexpensive modified sine wave inverter - I tried and it caused electrical interference. Use a pure sine wave inverter. I used a Samlex PST-120-12 that I purchased from Amazon, 2) the inverter has a fan, but I'm still concerned about the heat build-up in the cabinet where I have installed it. I'll keep an eye on this.....

Thanks for your update.  I have sortof given up as I got stalled out with the inverter.  I have no place to connect it to power.  I'm assuming your galley is inside.  Mine isn't.  But I have a Roku device, so will be able to watch some TV.  Oh well.... Continued good luck with your project. 

Martha in Pittsfield, VT with my 2015 T@B Max CS-S and 2015 Subaru Forester

• Options
    Hi Martha - the inverter is connected to the same 12 volt wiring as the Jensen entertainment system. 
    The final result of my mod:
    Congrats! Looks very professional. Just wondering tho...where were you able to plug in the inverter? I have no outlet at that end of the trailer.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I tapped into the Jensen entertainment centers 12 volt lines Behind the Jensen unit. There is already a splice, so I just undid the splice, inserted the inverter wires, and redid the splice. Just make sure you pull the fuse first for that line and get the positive and negative wires matched correctly. The inverter is in the cabinet to the right of the Jensen. 
    Interesting! Thanks for the info.