Options

Maiden voyage complete!

sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
edited June 2020 in Camping & Travel
First one-nighter with the new 320S BD.  Dispersed/boondock camping at 8726ft altitude in north central Colorado, no hookups.  I scouted the area about a week ago, and there were very few campers.  Yesterday (a TUESDAY), we drove for 90 minutes and the spots I scouted were all taken.  We risked a sketchy 300 yard long, 7ft wide USFS road to a gorgeous campsite with just barely enough room to turn around and point back the way we came.  Pre-existing fire-ring and really just a fantastic location. A bit of fun backing into a reasonably level spot and the results speak for themselves (see below).  I am discouraged that even dispersed camping is difficult to secure in the middle of the week these days.  :-(

Very happy with the T@B in general.  Alde worked great overnight set at 68 degrees.   Water, including hot water, was not a problem.  The 12V fridge kept beers and water at 35 degrees like a champ the entire time, even though I only let it get a few hour head start.  Solar kept my stock 80Ah lead-acid battery in pretty good shape but I'm definitely going to install the 100Ah Battleborn this week.

We used the cassette toilet for #1 probably 6 times using biodegradable TP.  I had preloaded it with 2 quarts water and 1 Thetford Free and Clear Toss-In and dumped it in one of my home toilets this afternoon.  No problem -- piece of cake.  I realize this is not that much waste but so far the cassette is the least of my worries.

One new issue.  The door latch on the bathroom door is stuck in an unlocked position and requires a knife or other thin implement to get unstuck.  I blocked this door with the camp stove on the way back home so it wouldn't just swing back and forth, but beware of this new problem.

Anyway, here's a couple site pics:

We did not use the stove in the T@B (mine has one of the glass lids that won't stay open), but did use my new Camp Chef Explorer 2X.  I cannot recommend this stove enough.  It's the best camp stove I've ever used, bar none.  I made one-pot spaghetti start to finish in less than an hour, thanks to the 30,000 BTU burners.  Not shown is the CC griddle accessory which I used this morning to make perfect pancakes. I'm considering buying a CC grill box accessory next.

Here's a shot of my daughter waiting impatiently for me to light the fire for S'mores:

And lastly, a shameless advertisement for a local beer:

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i

Comments