Options

bathroom fan failure

First camp of season, turned on barhroom fan. Did not run. Then hot burning smell. Turned back off. Found fan motor support broken off supports and jammed. There are four legs cast into the fan housing to support the cross bar with the fan on it. All four legs broke off.
I tried to drill through the legs and drill right through but they were too brithle and crumbly. Made new ones out of clear rubber tube and screwed right through. Clonks a little on start up. But works.
Anyone know if there is a better fan  replacement on a 2019 tab 400 boon dock light ??

Comments

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    edited June 2020
    I forgot to include a picture. Here you can see my replacement legs. The other side is the same. Clear tube with a screw right through.

(Edited for photo size!)

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Get a MaxxAir as your main fan and then use the Fantastic Fan in the bathroom!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Does it fit easily without making the hole bigger?
  • Options
    Coz I like your thinking
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Is the current bathroom fan fit a 14 inch opening?  I don’t know, but send an email to repairs@nucamprv.com.  Austin should know.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Tundra57 said:
    First camp of season, turned on barhroom fan. Did not run. Then hot burning smell. Turned back off. Found fan motor support broken off supports and jammed. There are four legs cast into the fan housing to support the cross bar with the fan on it. All four legs broke off.
    I tried to drill through the legs and drill right through but they were too brithle and crumbly. Made new ones out of clear rubber tube and screwed right through. Clonks a little on start up. But works.
    Anyone know if there is a better fan  replacement on a 2019 tab 400 boon dock light ??

I too have a 2019 T@B 400 BDL and in the entire trailer the bathroom fan is the lowest quality component. In my case we have had the fan turn on but not turn off even though the switch is clicking. With a lot of jiggling the switch will finally activate and turn off. I was looking to replace the switch but seeing that the fan is so poorly constructed seems smarter to replace the entire unit.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2022
    Since your Tab is a 2019, you might reach out to nuCamp Warranty to see if they will replace the fan for you.  It should not have failed so fast.  Our TaB400 is a Jan 2018, and the fan works quite well, although a bit on the noisy side.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16, @Sharon_is_SAM, i did reach out to Nucamp. They just said they knew of no better replacement and to contact my dealer if i want to buy a same replacement. Just waiting to see what my dealer says. I will wait until it fails before I replace it and definately not with the same. I am happy with the rest of the trailer.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Update. Nucamp reached out to me and asked me to contact their warranty dept. Maybe ill be offered a replacement. My rubber standoffs failed and the fan jammed again. Took it all apart and made new ones from 1/4 copper tube. Hopefully this will last. The thermal sensor on the motor will not protect the motor when it jams. The wiring at the motor is a bit shrivelled, but the insulation holding.

(Photo removed due to size.  Please reduce the photo size from your phone before posting.)
  • Options
    Re posting this thread as I noted when getting the camper ready today the bath fan would not turn on. Thought it was the switch, as it was the last time, then I noted on the shunt that the battery was drawing over 5 amps and only one light in bath was on. I was not connected to shore power. Then I noted the burned smell in the bath and turned the switch off. Amp draw immediately went to about 1.5 amps and I checked the fuses to see if the shorted fan motor had blown the fuse on the circuit, but no. Guess I performed my own "smoke test" on that circuit. I am going to pull the switch and disconnect and then see about a replacement. Looks like lots of folks get a basic Fantastic fan as a replacement or move the current main fan to the bath and upgrade the main fan. Any suggestions on what I should get? I don't need anything fancy as we rarely shower in the bath and we just took out the sink. Actually glad to have a reason to replace as that fan was noisy and just looked and acted like a cheap component.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I guess you lost the magic smoke that made the washroom fan work…  :*
    cheers
  • Options
    RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
    Warranty department sent me this one to replace the old one. It is the same as the other fan in the 400.

2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • Options
    So,nüCamp sent you the Fanatic Fan used in the trailer’s cabin, not the washroom fan originally used.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    I believe now that @Denny16 must be the only one with magic smoke, and perhaps the only one with a functional bath fan in a T@B 400 from the 2018-2020 era. The rest are either broken or just about to break.  I was taken aback at the prices for replacement fans as they can't cost more than a few dollars to produce, but sell for over 100 dollars to several hundred dollars with all the bells and whistles. I guess someone needs a remote control fan with 13 speeds with rain sensor and thermostat controls while they are on the toilet, but that would not be me. I found at Camping World a MaxxFan 4301K fan on sale and after discounts for 122.00. It is a 4 speed and only exhausts out or can circulate when cover is closed. Just in time for a new project.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Yes, our 2018 TaB400 still has its original fan, which is working great, still has its magic smoke intact.   I also like the new European style fan nüCamp is using in the 2022 TaB400, that pushes up.
    Cheers