T@B400 refrigerator (noisy) fan replacement, removal, upgrade, access

jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
I haven't found a thread on replacing the refrigerator fan on a T@B400. Other Nucamp camper models seem to have a more accessible fan. The 400's looks like it requires removing the refrigerator. The attached photos where taken down the "chimney" with my phone. I want to put in the quiet fan others on this forum suggest. I am reaching out to 400 owners who've done this for advice on wiring and mounting. 
2019 T@B400
TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
Southern California
Full-timer since 2019

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Looks like a a good cleaning back there will fix the noise issue.  Quite a bit of dust on the fan.  Our TaB400 fan is quiet.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    Since I chose not to remove the refrigerator to replace the noisy fan, I just disconnected it. I installed a computer cabinet cooling fan that was referenced elsewhere on this forum. While the fan is quiet the manufacturer includes several tools to dampen its vibration. Those tools don't really help since I am not mounting it in a computer. I fabricated a bracket and mounted it to the wood cabinet containing the fridge. I found the vibration of the fan was amplified by the cabinetry. I then installed rubber and foam buffers between the fan and the cabinet. That worked pretty well. I presently am not using the thermocouple on the fins to turn the fan on and off. I am letting it run 24/7 when the fridge is in use. So far the fridge performs no differently than with the previous noisy but still functional factory fan. I may use the thermocouple later. It's accessible. There's room for another fan if necessary. The fan is about $20 on Amazon.

2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    We had an issue with increased noise when the fridge cycled on that gradually got louder of the course of a few months. Turned out to be a loose fan, which was covered under warranty. They mentioned they've seen this before with the 2-way Norcolds in the 400. 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    We have the 12v fridge in our 2019 400; frequent cycling and loud fan wakes me up at night and am wondering if this thread suggestion for change of fan motor is o.k. with the manufacturer:  what is the cooling fan specs?  Must say that we are very pleased with the fridge and running 24/7 we have exceeded 3 days on battery with very limited solar support (water pump running as well)!
    Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I don't know what the manufacturer specs, I bought a big fan that's supposed to be quiet. I measure it's success by the temp in the fridge and whether I can hear it. So far it gets a 9 out if 10. It uses 1.44 watts, pretty miserly. I had to dampen it to get it quiet enough.
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019