Options

Rain and the Doty Hill Visor

I  camp in New England and don't usually need a sunshade, but I'd like to sit outside when it rains. Do the Doty HIll visors protect from the rain? Can I sit underneath it if there's a regular rain shower? It says "water-resistant", but I"m wondering what people's lived experience is.
Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I can't speak specifically for the Doty Hill visor, but can say in general that a visor is not likely to offer much  protection from rain, particularly if it is heavy or the wind is blowing (two conditions you are almost guaranteed to encounter camping in the northeast).
    A full awning--preferable the PahaQue with the roll down sides--will be much more versatile and sturdy. We use ours 100% of the time and are able to sit/eat/cook outside in virtually every weather condition.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    ScottG said:
    I can't speak specifically for the Doty Hill visor, but can say in general that a visor is not likely to offer much  protection from rain, particularly if it is heavy or the wind is blowing (two conditions you are almost guaranteed to encounter camping in the northeast).
    A full awning--preferable the PahaQue with the roll down sides--will be much more versatile and sturdy. We use ours 100% of the time and are able to sit/eat/cook outside in virtually every weather condition.
    Besides PahaQue, Allpro Adventures also offers T@B awnings.
    https://allproadventures.com/collections/awnings
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    I have one and love it for the beauty and quality, but it truly is only water resistant. Mine is made with an outdoor fabric so I don't know about those made from nylon. It's better than nothing, but if the rain is heavy enough, at some point water pools and/or will drip through. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    Thanks, it seems if I want waterproof I'm going to have to go with an awning. How long does it take to set up the awnings? I'm always solo (and short).
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited July 2020
    Not long. I usually have an extra set of hands, but have put my awning up solo in maybe five minutes. With the PahaQue version it's basically slide it into the keder rail, install the single pole, and stake the two support straps. If you are really short a small step stool might help in pulling the awning through the upper part of the order rail--but the same is likely true for a visor.

The Allpro Adventures awning is little different but looks equally easy to install.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG thanks, that sounds easy enough. 
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    The Pahaque visor soaks up water in the rain until it collapses under its own weight.  This modification fixed that problem.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Doty Hill uses outdoor fabric and sprays each product with a waterproof spray. I would say they are probably rain resistant and yoy would stay dry for a short shower but not in an all day soaker.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    We treat our Doty Hill visor with Camp Dry spray every season. Short of a true downpour with blowing wind it seems to do a good job of keeping the immediate area by the trailer dry. Easy to put up and take down. Stows compactly 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    @GibW that sounds perfect for me. I just want to sit out if it's lightly raining. If it starts to downpour I'm happy to sit inside the t@b and watch out the window.
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Not sure how long this has been in effect but the Doty Hill Design site says --
    "Due to unforeseen circumstances we are not taking new orders."
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    schoutschout Member Posts: 29
    @geekmama I'm 5'3" and can set up our visor-style awning by myself.  
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2020 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Not sure how long this has been in effect but the Doty Hill Design site says --
    "Due to unforeseen circumstances we are not taking new orders."
    My mom's husband has 2 serious health issues and has struggled as of late. She will reopen whenever things stabilize with his health. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @jkjenn well wishes for his health!

I made a homemade visor from a canvas like poly-cotton outdoor fabric from JoAnn.  I’ve used wash-in Nikwax Cotton Proof which does a good job of helping the water bead up and roll off.  Crazy thunderstorms certainly can wet it out, or maybe the rain just blows under, but it works well for stayng dry in a brief shower.  i’m sure the same would work to renew your DWR on a Doty Hill awning - all DWRs need renewal after a while.
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota