Options

Our "new to us" 2018 T@B 400

TABZILATABZILA Member Posts: 6

After about a year of searching for various campers, we circled back to our favorite brand and model and landed a mint condition 2018 T@B 400. We will be towing it with our 2017 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO! 

We are using Weigh Safe hitch (has a built in tongue scale). We will be adding TRD Sway Bars and Timbren bump stops to the Tundra in the near future. I think we can avoid getting tow mirrors for now; but we'll see how it is on the highway merging and changing lanes before deciding on that.

Current plans are to get the Boondock Lite tray and propane tub to give us more room to load up stuff. Also shopping for a generator. We are leaning towards the Wen 56225i (2250 watts with auto shutoff features). This hopefully would be enough to run A/C as well as everything else and not be too quiet. I can't seem to justify paying more than double for the Honda equivalent even though everyone raves about it. 

We'll probably switch out the porch light to an amber one like in the newer models. Debating about having NuCamp add the solar panels, but at $1700 I was quoted, I am not sure I will do it (yet). 

Besides that we are slowing decorating it and figuring out what all is needed to get away for a few days before taking some longer trips later this year!
2018 T@B 400 towed by 2017 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO

Comments

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    I'd hold off on buying sway bars until you're sure you need them.  Most of us manage fine without.  See this thread for a longer discussion.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    rh5555 said:
    I'd hold off on buying sway bars until you're sure you need them.  Most of us manage fine without.  See this thread for a longer discussion.
    It won't be towing sway bars, but the built in bars on the truck. I live in a hilly road and got them already before we planned to tow anyways, I just imagine they'll also help for towing too. Helps keep the truck more planted on the ground (which I prefer).
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Sounds like a good plan.  Truck sway and suspension control system is good.
    After towing our TaB400 a few times, I am having the rear springs on my Jeep Truck switched out to the Jeep Max Tow package progressive spring/shock setup to improve trailer bounce going over rough roads, which I need to be able to do.  Also, I ended up getting add-on towing mirrors to get a better side lane view also side the trailer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    What is the build date of your TaB400?  The date is on the label on drivers side of the trailer, with the Vin No.
    cheere
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    We tow our 2018 400 with a 2013 Tundra TRD and have been very satisfied with the combo for over 20,000 miles. We will have to wait out the COVID to visit the remaining 12 states of the lower 48.  We swapped the plastic tub for the 2021 Aluminum tub and are amazed with the added space and convenience. 
    Enjoy your 400, we love ours. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    Sounds like a good plan.  Truck sway and suspension control system is good.
    After towing our TaB400 a few times, I am having the rear springs on my Jeep Truck switched out to the Jeep Max Tow package progressive spring/shock setup to improve trailer bounce going over rough roads, which I need to be able to do.  Also, I ended up getting add-on towing mirrors to get a better side lane view also side the trailer.
    cheers
    Good feedback! I should be good on suspension tho I've read the TRD PRO is a little squishy, but at this weight I should be fine!
  • Options
    DenisP said:
    We tow our 2018 400 with a 2013 Tundra TRD and have been very satisfied with the combo for over 20,000 miles. We will have to wait out the COVID to visit the remaining 12 states of the lower 48.  We swapped the plastic tub for the 2021 Aluminum tub and are amazed with the added space and convenience. 
    Enjoy your 400, we love ours. 
    I may have to see what the 2021 tub is and see!
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    @TABZILA here are couple of pictures of the 2021 aluminum tub
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Nice, I am having this Tub installed on our 2018 Tab 400.
    cheers
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    What is the build date of your TaB400?  The date is on the label on drivers side of the trailer, with the Vin No.
    cheere
    10/2017 so just avoiding the potential floor issues.
  • Options
    DenisP said:
    @TABZILA here are couple of pictures of the 2021 aluminum tub
    Looks great! I wonder how much wider it is! I'll have to ask NuCamp for dimensions!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    It is not so much wider at the back, but more of a rectangle shape, with more room in the front.  A nice compromise between a right angle style tool box and the original roundish tongue box.  

Our slightly used TaB 400 came with a truck style tool box mounted on the tongue.  While it worked OK, it was ugly and looked like an afterthought add on.
    We thought about getting the 2019/2020 Boondock TaB 400 box (similar but without a back), when the new 2021 box was announced and became available, we ordered it instead.  It looks like it belongs on the front of the TaB400.

Here is the tool box that came with our TaB400:

C
    heers