Options

Keder rail

NigllNigll Member Posts: 15
edited July 2020 in Products and Accessories
 what tent will fit in a 2014 cs-s keder rail? The rail is so skinny is there a tent made for this?

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    There should be a wider spot in the rail near one end.  On our 2016 it's about 10 inches or so from the back end of the rail.

The easiest way to attach something is using Keder rope.  I got some off of Amazon that has a built in flap that you can sew onto awnings, tents etc.

Keder

Other people have used rope, vinyl strips, etc.

There are plans on this site on how to make a "wing" type awning.

Some people have just used a blue tarp setup.

2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    I think the PaHaQue brand Visors, awnings and tents as well as the All Pro Adventure offerings all fit.  I know @Verna had a 2014 and I believe the Keder rail size has always been the same.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The Keder rail has not changed size on the Pleasant Valley/nüCamp T@B’s since the production started. 

I still have the PahaQue visor I used on my 2014 T@B and it fits the Keder rail on my 2019 T@B 400. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NigllNigll Member Posts: 15
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2020
    But the Clamshell requires a tent specific to the CS, for the kedar rail, due to the different profile.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @Nigll - as @ChanW noted, if you go with PahaQue or All Pro Adventures tents/awnings, make sure you get the CS version.  The S model tents will not fit the clamshell TaBs.
  • Options
    CibolaSisuCibolaSisu Member Posts: 18
    On the t@b models after 2020, are the Keder rails still measuring as: 8.5mm (5/16") ?
  • Options
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    We have a 2021 CS-S.  I found that I had to remove each screw individually, bore the hole slightly with a drill bit and replace that screw and then move on to the next screw and repeat the process.  The head of the screws were sticking out so far that the keder rail flap (mentioned above) did not slide along the rail easily.  This process really aided the installation of the homemade awning - turning from something I had to fight at every screw head into a smooth process from one end to the other.
    Be careful not to bore the hole bigger than the head of the screw.  Take your time.  Worth the effort.

• Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM I had to check b/c there was a thread on FB today where a 2021 t@b owner's AllPro awning did not thread through the keder rail.

Part of the post: 
    "I’ll ask this again in the hopes of someone having a similar problem. The “shade wing” awning from All Pro Adventures does not fit into the inset keder rail on my 203(2)1 Tab 320. The rail seems smaller in circumference. Any suggestions? All Pro says they have been making them for years but this is the first year the keder rail is inset.  RESULT: Elton from All Pro Adventures contacted me. Apparently I’m not the only one with this problem. Another Nucamp customer returned his awning to All Pro to be fitted with a ¼ inch SPLINE instead of the 5/16 one typical for the Nucamp 320 S. “It worked perfectly”. I’m ready to ship mine back to All Pro. Whew."

SO...what is the actual answer? I have no idea what a "spline" is. I just need to know what that means with my keder rail purchases for future use. I am hesitating now to invest in awnings etc.

THANK YOU in advance!
  • Options
    nbrandt said:
    We have a 2021 CS-S.  I found that I had to remove each screw individually, bore the hole slightly with a drill bit and replace that screw and then move on to the next screw and repeat the process.  The head of the screws were sticking out so far that the keder rail flap (mentioned above) did not slide along the rail easily.  This process really aided the installation of the homemade awning - turning from something I had to fight at every screw head into a smooth process from one end to the other.
    Be careful not to bore the hole bigger than the head of the screw.  Take your time.  Worth the effort.
    Maybe that is why the above issue necessitating the "spline"?

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503

SO...what is the actual answer? I have no idea what a "spline" is. I just need to know what that means with my keder rail purchases for future use. I am hesitating now to invest in awnings etc.

THANK YOU in advance!
    The spline is the part that actually slides into the track. There are various sizes of spline (and track) so it's important to get the right diameter. From what you posted it looks like there was a mistake at the manufacturer. A spline that is too big won't fit into the track at all.

But as @nbrandt wrote, there are cases where the screws haven't been sunk far enough into the track, and the protruding screw heads interfere with sliding the spline (or keder rope, or awning rope) down the track.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Marceline said:

THANK YOU in advance!
    The spline is the part that actually slides into the track. There are various sizes of spline (and track) so it's important to get the right diameter. From what you posted it looks like there was a mistake at the manufacturer. A spline that is too big won't fit into the track at all.

But as @nbrandt wrote, there are cases where the screws haven't been sunk far enough into the track, and the protruding screw heads interfere with sliding the spline (or keder rope, or awning rope) down the track.

So, as far as you know, NO CHANGE in the keder track diameter? Or as far as anyone else knows...I hope. 

I am a bit leary to trust the NüCamp folks right now, esp as a new buyer into the cult, as my trailer came without a screen door - which is supposed to arrive at an unknown date forever from now. I was recently acquainted with several t@b owers, that are new buyers, one from Nov that are also still waiting for their trailer to be "COMPLETE" - missing screen doors and window covers. COVID can't be the excuse anymore. 

Thank you for your help!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @CibolaSisu - actually supply issues continue to be an issue in many industries including RV manufacturers.

Regarding the Keder rail issue:  there was a thread here that reported an issue with the inability to slide an awning/visor.   The 2021 and 2022 320 S models have the new inset rail that are reported to allow a Keder rope to slide very smoothly.  I wonder if AllProAdventures had an early production run using oversized Keder rope? (Nope - see next post.)

I think you will find that you can trust nuCamp to remedy most situations.

I think I will call All Pro Adventures and inquire.  

• Options
    Spoke with Elton at All Pro Adventures.  He confirmed that the Keder rail size has not changed.  He reported that sometimes the new Keder rail results in an area on the rear rail that twists and narrows, resulting in the inability to pass the cording.  They did switch to using 1/4 “ cording and there is no inventory with the larger cording, so orders now have the 1/4”.  He also recommended threading the cording from front to back to avoid the struggle with the possible narrowed area in the back.  
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    COVID can't be the excuse anymore. 

Yes it can. Anyone who is involved in any kind of manufacturing or construction will tell you that there are still many supply chain issues.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    jfiniganjfinigan Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2022
    I emailed Nu Camp today. I do not have a screen door yet. They said it would be a couple of weeks. I don't believe that because there are quite a few people waiting, I have my camper for about a month now. Supply chain issues are still from Covid. As I was trying a to book a flight to Alaska to visit family and they have no rental cars still. There are other items that are in short supply because some other countries keep shutting down.