Options

Replacing Norcold 3-way fridge with Isotherm 2-way

I have a 2015 T@B and would like to change the 1.8cu ft Norcold fridge.  I am looking at the Isotherm Elegance 65 as a replacement.  It is an AC/DC 2.3 cu ft Danfoss compressor  fridge with a small freezer.   I have a installed two 6-volt deep-cycle AGM batteries with 120 W of solar backup which should be more than sufficient to support this low energy  unit.  The Elegance 65 seems to be one of the few fridges that  would fit in this cutout.    Has anyone had experience with such a conversion?  Any tips for replacing fridges would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    edited July 2020
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have a 2015 T@B and would like to change the 1.8cu ft Norcold fridge.  I am looking at the Isotherm Elegance 65 as a replacement.  It is an AC/DC 2.3 cu ft Danfoss compressor  fridge with a small freezer.   I have a installed two 6-volt deep-cycle AGM batteries with 120 W of solar backup which should be more than sufficient to support this low energy  unit.  The Elegance 65 seems to be one of the few fridges that  would fit in this cutout.    Has anyone had experience with such a conversion?  Any tips for replacing fridges would be appreciated.
    Let us know how you make out. I think this could be a popular mod.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    @jebelhafit Did you pursue this?  Any help from nuCamp Tech as far as closing up propane line and AC/DC wiring?  We're interested in doing same in T@B 400. Much to our dismay, the 3-way can't cut it in 85+ degree heat.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited October 2020
    @johnfconway, Unfortunately, nüCamp was unable to source a 2-way compressor fridge that would fit in the wardrobe space, similar to what they use in the 400 solo, which is too wide.  Since you are in NM, you could possibly schedule nüCamp to switch out your 3-way fridge back to a wardrobe, and put the smaller 2-way back in your galley counter area.  

Other wise you will need to find a compressor fridge, that would fit in the wardrobe area, I found a 3.3 CF unit that is 19”x19” and 32” high that would fit, but this is 12VDC only, but the power converter would power it on AC.  

Some woodworking is going to be needed.  You can cap the gas line at the splitter or just cap the line and get a pressure leak test to make sure it is not leaking.  12VDC is in place on the three way, just change out the fuse to the right size for the smaller compressor fridge, and 120VAC is close by, in the Alde compartment, just pull the fridge plug to it for a two-way unit.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    jebelhafit. I have the same setup as you.  I emailed the factory about doing to switch to the Isotherm and they said it would require cabinet work..  I plan to try it this winter, hopefully before T@bazonna 20221.
    It appears that a shelf might be required.  As far as filler strips for the cabinet, I am sure that I can get something that looks better than the plastic cover on the Norcold.
    The constant heat, the cooling fan noise, and the lack of cooling in hot weather are my reasons for attempting this.  I lived in mine for four months this summer and was not pleased with the performance of the Norcold.
    My 2018 320s already has plenty of ventilation in the refer cabinet that is not installed on the 2021 with the Isotherm refer.  I think that it will mostly be wood working to make it fit.
    I also plan to check out the measurements on the pull out drawer model Isotherm.  Access looks to be much easier than the swing door model.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    I agree Ron, a pull out makes more sense on a small setup like yours.  A lot of  the newer rear galley trailers are using a pull out top loading fridge.  Also you do not let all the ping pong balls out when you open it...  B)
    cheers
  • Options
    Does anyone know the model number of the Isotherm refer that is in th 2021 320?  When I read the specs for the Elegancy 65 it seems narrower than the one I looked at Tom's Camperland yesterday.
  • Options
    huanvanhohuanvanho Member Posts: 47
    The dimensions of Norcold, Model N180.3R are 22 3/5 inches high X 24 2/5 inches wide X 16 16/25 inches deep, so a replacement should be about that same size. The dimension of The Isotherm Cruise 65 Elegance are
     20.9" H x 17.7" W x 19.4" D 

So I think it will not fit well.
  • Options
    @Ron - the 2021 320s frig is the Cruise Elegance 65. CR65EL
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2020
    Have same need for ideas and experiences in this fridge replacement realm, but for a 400. Pasted in below is screenshot of Excel spreadsheet:

The shaded ones are for reference. Top is 3-way that is not working out. Shaded Norcold, I believe, has been used in standard 400s with refrigerator on passenger side and closet where the 3-way is.
    Have no confidence in energy consumption numbers. Manufacturers try to obfuscate by giving it in qualified amps, kWhours/24h, etc., forcing you to bring them to a common rating. I think VitriFrigo screwed themselves, because they do have sealed compressor and kind of threw 45W up as energy use.
    Actual cabinet opening in T@B is first asterisk. There is a lip to all walls and ceiling of about .75 inches.
    Like folks with 320s wanting to replace the 3-way unit, we're liking the Isotherm Cruise Elegance 85. Besides efficiency and quiet (assuming it's all accurate) you get the feeling you may be on a cruise ship in a Fellini film (it's Italian engineering)!
    @Michigan_Mike posted his experience removing Norcold 3-way. In a nutshell, it is vent piping in the back by the outside vents that holds the fridge solidly in place.
    All of these potential replacements are same or smaller in all 3 dimensions. Plus they vent out through their own cabinet. One possibility for anchoring the unit is to screw cleats into cabinet floor on three sides that tightly holds in fridge?
    Does anyone know of someone who has any of the non-shaded fridge options and has opinion one way or other?
    Before looking for dealer willing and able to do this mod, any other ideas on how to anchor it in this somewhat larger "hole"?
    Note that we're not concerned about visual gaps between fridge and cabinet. Better that then food at 53 degrees for 6 hours in hotter weather.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    After doing some more measuring, the cook top has something that looks like a regulator that hangs down lower than the 24 inch height of existing opening.  Nu Camp might have switched cook tops because of this. This rules out trying the Dometic Elegance 85.  However it does appear that the Engle model 70 SR70F-U1 will fit. It will require some sort of trim to make the install look good.  I might try some maple filler strips if I go this way.
    One of the factory pictures is in the back of a T@G or similar.  I hope to salvage the front air hoses for ventilation as well as the vent on the left side of the T@B.  The propane vent/hole in the bottom storage might help as well.
    Amazon sells these as well.  (Only 5 left in stock-order soon) of course.
  • Options
    Probably going with the Isotherm Elegance 65.  It is going to take some trim around the side.  I just finished changing the Alde fluid, so this should be easy!
    Maybe NuCamp will sell me a couple of 24" 1x4's that match?
    As far as mounting goes, spacer blocks added inside the cabinet would allow for through the wall mounting.  If trim pieces are installed to backing plywood that is glued and screwed to the existing trim, the Isotherm mounting flange might work as well.  Once I get the refer I will be able to come up with a solution.
    Last mod!!!
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Ron What is this "Last mod" thing you speak of?  :)
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Doug, I think Ron is saying, this is the last mod he is going to make to his TaB ?
  • Options
    @Denny16 - Ron has a 320 S and Doug was making a joke.  @Ron - promises, promises...
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    Just slightly hijacking this thread...
    I keep eyeing all the wasted space under the wardrobe (we have the 2-way fridge) and wondering if I can locate a drawer fridge down there like the Dometic CD 20.  The stock 2-way fridge is a little small, and some extra cool space (other than our small Yeti) would be welcome.  Has anyone tried this?  I can't make any measurements to see if this is feasible as Cryst@bel is at the RV hospital getting an axle transplant (still!).
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    There is a drawer and open front licker under the wardrobe, so not quite wasted space.  Putting a drawer type fridge in is interesting, check out how much more power this is going to require, if you do any Boondock type camping off the grid.
    cheers
  • Options
    We don't have a drawer under our wardrobe, just unused space. There is a drawer under the 2-way fridge.  Domestic unit is pretty frugal on power, and we have our trusty propane generator and fast charging converter, so we're good power-wise.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    OK Roger, so you have the original wardrobe design, and the space directly under it is where the WaCo power converter used to be.  If you look under the hatch in the bottom of the wardrobe, isn’t your water pump, water tank connection and outside shower cut off valves located in there?  It is on ours, which has the same closet setup.  

Some point after Jan 2020, nüCamp redesigned the wardrobe, moving the water pump systems to the Alde compartment to have a more universal wardrobe that could be the larger 3-way fridge space, and having the other water systems in a consistent place on all TaB400 builds.  I was not sure which version your 2020 TaB400 was.  If your water pump systems are u dear the wardrobe, than not going To be much room for a fridge unit, without relocating the water pump, valves, etc.
    cheers
  • Options
    TRobTRob Member Posts: 54
    Has anyone researched to see if there is a 2 way drawer that would work as a replacement for the standard 2 way in the 400? It would at least be easier to get at the food you want with the top access of a drawer fridge. 
    Troy / 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon / 2021 Tab 400 BD / Sarasota, FL
  • Options
    That is a good thought, would need to check stove clearance.
    cheers
  • Options
    Is there any reason why we cannot consider 12V-only fridges?  When on shore power, the converter will keep the fridge running as well as charging batteries.  This opens the choices to fridges designed for boats which are typically 12V only.
  • Options
    No reason why not, run the fridge on 12VDC, the power converter or solar panels charge the battery back up.  It ay add a little extra load to the converter, but it should handle the load without any issues.
    cheers.
  • Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    In addition, I have a portable 12v (looking into a possible 3way permanent replacement to a 2way) that has its own plug in to 110 shore power so I guess the box along the cable is its own mini converter. @rh5555 were you referring to something like that? In other words, the portable unit I have could be plugged into shore power at home or a campground pedestal directly.
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    edited December 2021
    Inspired by @GeoMars  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6556/replaced-norcold-3-way-with-efficient-ac-dc-electric-fridge/p1
    I am im the process of swapping out the 3 way for top loading 12/120v compressor fridge. With no woodworking skills the cabinet mod is the hardest for me. Will post pics when done 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I just installed an Isotherm 2 way in my 2019 320. IMPORTANT! You must put it all the way to the left in the space because there is a wood piece with 4 pocket screws covered with foil (to keep the heat down from the old gas ones flame) but this wood also is the support for the complete counter top on the right side so I did not want to remove it. The fridge fits in beautiful if mounted all the way to the left. It leaves a place on the right for some storage and it looks like the lower door under the fridge is just the right size for that area so will order another door with hinges and knob to finish off my project. Would make a great place for a trash bin. I put 3/4x2 wood runners for and aft under the fridge and that left a small gap on top for ventilation. This thing fit perfect! In the photo you can see what I am talking about. I thought it was just foam but it is foil covered wood holding up the counter top so I do not recommend removing it. It may not be in all 230s but was in mine Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @gulfarea, how confident are you that the board in the back of the cabinet is a necessary support for the countertop?  Maybe it is, but I am doing the same modification (installing the Isotherm all the way to the right, like @Ron and @subfreq111 did theirs.)  I would be interested in their thoughts if they see this post.  Doing the installation as they did requires removing the board, which I did yesterday.  After doing that, I did not notice any obvious/visible impact to the countertop structurally.  However, your comments do give me some cause for concern, so I will need to go back to my trailer (in storage) and take a closer look.  

Initially, because of the presence of that board, I considered moving the refrigerator a little further to the left, but that would have significantly cut into the newly created storage space to the left of the refrigerator.  Therefore, I opted not to go that route.  Also, I did not want to have all the open space on the right side where the two external vents are located, because a lot of air would then enter the trailer.  Having the right side of the refrigerator closer to those vents will also greatly assist in ventilation of the refrigerator.  Regardless, I suppose that if that board is crucial to supporting the countertop, or simply provides additional support, I can probably add a narrower piece of wood to the back right corner of the cabinet to accomplish the same thing without impacting the refrigerator installation.  (NOTE:  One thing I did discover while removing the board was that I had to forcibly pull the board out at the bottom after removing the pocket screws, because there is a long screw that was inserted from below the trailer and into the base of that board [see red arrow in photo below.]  It is unclear to me why that particular screw was necessary since I believe there were two pocket screws attached in that area.)

You are correct that the cabinet door for the storage compartment below the refrigerator is ideal for covering the space to the right or left of the Isotherm refrigerator.  I ordered one from nuCamp yesterday, via Missouri Teardrop Trailers, (Part I.D. No. 40-00-2382), but it will not be shipped until after New Year's Day, because nuCamp is currently closed for the holidays.

Thanks for the info!

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    BayLiss I closed in the 2 vents with foam. With the old gas refrigerator much more air is needed for combustion and heat removal. That constant flame sure makes heat. I am not sure why that board is there but it sure looks like it is there to hold up the counter top on the right and now that you mention the screw coming in from the bottom I am glad I did not try to remove it. I will say the new one is VERY quiet and got the temp down in less then 1 hour. Good luck and I am sure you will like it. Will try to take a photo tomorrow of it all done, and thanks for the part number for the door. Art
  • Options
    BayLiss Does the door come with the hinges and the knob? Thanks Art
  • Options
    BayLiss Who did you order the door from? Thanks Art