Options

First impressions from our first KOA trip

NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
Wife and I are out this weekend at Anteitem KOA in our 400 BD Lt.  set up was easy with the LevelMatePRO pro.  We have electric, water, and cable hook ups.

Air8 struggled to cool in yesterday’s 95 degree temps.  Could get inside temp as low as 82.  Played with settings, venting, and fan placement and managed to sleep well with indoor temps in 60’s while outdoor dropped to upper 70’s.  I think the thermostats placement may be off.  Came back today from touring around, indoor temp is ok, but Air8 running almost constantly.  Am looking forward to the fix.

How do people deal with the heat while boondocking?  My Boondocking experience was in the early spring before all this COVID mess started.

TV easy to switch between cable and Jensen.  Watched the news and then a movie (DVD).  Had to turn up sound to hear over the Air8.

Use of water is frustrating.  Open faucet and get lots of surging.  Grey water tank level high trying to bleed lines.  Need to figure out how to stabilize pressure.

lots of lessons learned.  Definitely want to get a Berkey.  Would like to get a “Y” connection for water to ease filling bowls for dogs, cleaning dishes.  Outdoor shower also a possible use for this as well.

loved the can cooker for making dinner.  Need to remember to label my containers.  Mixing up my wife’s Caramel Macchiato cream for the coconut milk gave the chicken curry an interesting flavor.  Easy clean up.  Tonight burgers and corn on the grill.

overall a really great first night.  Mattress topper made bed very comfortable.  Slept like a baby for the first time in ages.

sorry for the long post.
States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited July 2020
    Sounds like a nice trip overall so far @NoVaGuy.

I try to bleed the air out of my water lines, prime the pump and the water heater in the driveway, before we leave for a trip. This seems to help us with the water issue you've described.

Don't have the same AC as you, so can't offer a thought there (but have read the Air8 is a handful).

Our 'house rules' on boondocking are only during months with an 'R' in them unless we can gain altitude and/or latitude. :)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    We have a 2016 T@B Max S (320 model) and experienced the same cooling issue for our T@B.  Our unit has a Danby 5K BTU window AC system.  But, the inside heat issue sounds similar to your experience.  To alleviate the inside heat, we purchased a 13' x 13' canopy (at Costco) and place it over our T@B.  We have found that in direct sunlight, the canopy has decreased the inside temp by at least 15 degrees.  We do try to get shaded lots when we camp, but that is not always possible.  So, we keep the canopy with us and use if needed.  It does work and the AC is able to cool the T@B without working too hard.

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,505
    As @CrabTab noted, if you plan to use your fresh water tank and pump, best to hook up to city water at home and bleed your lines and fill your Alde water tank.  The Alde tank can account for a lot of that sputtering.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    How does one fill the Alde tank?  Could this also be why hot water is hit and miss?

it has been a great trip.  My wife’s first camping experience.  Many hard lessons avoided due to what I have learned on this site.  Thank you all!
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Options
    Should I drain water lines for drive home?  Is that the valve nest driver’s side tire?
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,505
    To fill the water tank via city water connection, first open and bleed your cold water Lines, then open a hot water faucet (s) until there is no more air or sputtering.  Your Alde water tank is then full and free of excessive air.  A small air cushion is retained and required for proper tank function.

Go ahead and empty your fresh tank using the valve behind the driver’s side tire.  You can leave it open on the drive home - just remember to close it upon return.  You can also empty your water lines by opening up the hot and cold floor drains available through the access hatch.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio