Options

Air8 Reprogram for Continuous Fan

Elwell posted a video on how to get the fan to run continuously regardless of compressor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op0-Zqpdr24&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR01XABg1S-U-kOIBsZsq8BeQ7x-B2U9YmNbn0-e00RimkJeKJErBdHxRk0
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
Harvest, AL

Comments

• Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    Is this one of the improvements that everybody has been asking for (atleast everybody in the southern part of the US)?  Why did it take over a year for them to release this re-programming guide?

Atleast the passcode for re-programming is now known.  8699.  I wonder what other settings can be changed in there?  The original MFG of the AC has much better documentation than Elwell.
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Things take time...
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited July 2020
    What I don't understand, is why wasn't this published from the beginning. Since there was no "download" of an upgrade to an app, it has been there the whole time. (Unless there is something about the electronics I don't know, like they had to figure out what code to put in to make the unit do that.)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I reprogrammed mine a few minutes ago. One note, the power has to be off to get into the programming mode.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jhooper1jhooper1 Member Posts: 2
    I just did this, and immediately I have an error code of "01" which "Return air sensor failure," and a -9.9 F temperature showing. WHAT?
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2020
    Is this one of the improvements that everybody has been asking for (at least everybody in the southern part of the US)?  Why did it take over a year for them to release this re-programming guide?

At least the pass code for re-programming is now known.  8699.  I wonder what other settings can be changed in there?  The original MFG of the AC has much better documentation than Elwell.

I agree, this part should not have taken this long to provide this portion. I made the change yesterday afternoon and will monitor the ability for it to control the temperature during the day today. I can say that by having air pass over the ambient temperature sensor constantly rather than the fan turning off made a noticeable improvement in the accuracy of the temperature readings immediately. Hopefully, I can check it every hour and post the results, this will help guide me in determining if the unit is sufficient in BTU's or not.

Without a guide to understand what other settings that can be changed, I would be very careful in making any other changes. I don't believe this information is in the Truma documentation (that is providing Elwell is sourcing these from Truma vs. a cheap knock off).

P.S. I live in the Charlotte, NC area so heat and humidity are here, it is the season.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    I have to say, I did sleep a lot more soundly with the fan on continiously.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited July 2020
    This was a programming change I requested last year after getting our camper, and I’m glad they’ve found a way to get it done.  I suspect we are seeing it now because Elwell is responding to customer requests for the feature.

I also think there is a certain amount of danger for end users to attempt reprogramming on their own; one could get unintended results unless you do it exactly correct.  It would be sort of like tinkering around with the base code of your Windows or Mac computer, not understanding exactly what you are doing (that’s me).

That being said, I will be making this change as well!
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    @jhooper1 I haven’t done the re-programming yet, but I have found that using the Mode button to start the unit on fan only for a few minutes before switching to Cool mode works best. 
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    Without going into detail (sworn to secrecy), I can say the changes Elwell has done to the Air 8 system do make a noticeable difference.  
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Okay, here is what I have experienced after making the programming changes that allows the fan to run continuously and my initial preparations and disclaimer.

1. I set the air conditioning to 74 degrees fan on low last night.
    2. It is not a "true test" because I only used the Elwell display for my internal readings, so location of the ambient sensor is not accurate to the location of the control panel
    3. External readings, I used a non contact infrared thermometer
    4. Sun - Shade are visual and subjective

Based on my results that are displayed below, the change in the fan is not sufficient to be able to hold the set temperature in direct sun light. Of course the results would be way worse if you were to start out by traveling for a few hours getting a good thermal load before you attempted to cool the inside.

So, although it is much improved, I have to admit that I have been wrong about the unit being sufficient if the ability to more correctly read the ambient air temperature sensor issue was resolved. I for one, will be anxious to learn what AirBoss is "sworn to secrecy over" and look forward to an upgraded unit with additional BTU capabilities.

Short of additional BTU's, this just isn't going to work properly, I now know that for a fact. So giddyup Elwell, let's get this issue resolved once and for all, some have waited for over a year............

Concord, NC 
  • Options
    RaydarRaydar Member Posts: 13
    So I programmed the Elwell, this afternoon following the you tube video. Pretty easy. Nice to have a constant fan on. Hoping to sleep better from now on. Also will be testing out, and hopefully see some improvement. Have noticed with it set at 69. The compressor shuts off at 67, on the Elwell. The temperature has to reach 75, before the compressor comes back on. 
    Definitely the return air temperature sensor is not in the correct location, or needs to be calibrated. 
  • Options
    Raydar said:

Definitely the return air temperature sensor is not in the correct location, or needs to be calibrated. 

I don't believe it is a sensor accuracy or location that is causing it since with the air moving it appears to be reading the temperature with reasonable accuracy. Previous to the programming change, most definitely an issue. My suspicion is that there is could be wider  "window of acceptable temperature" or this is the result of the compressor cycling off and the time for pressures to equalize before it is allowed to cycle on again.

If I were to choose one, the second would be the most reasonable. I noticed later in the day after I had posted my very simple test results that there was quite a variance in the set temperature vs. the compressor running also.

I am excited about the news that AirBoss shared with us and look forward to putting this behind all of us.

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    Susan0214Susan0214 Member Posts: 20
    I programmed the change and it works fine to keep the fan running all night for minimal sleep disturbance. What I need to know is how to UN program the change. I keep my TAB 320 plugged in at home and do not want the fan running 24 hours. Anyone know how to re-set?
  • Options
    @Susan0214
    If I understand your question correctly you keep the 320 on shore power at home and the Air 8 unit on, correct? 

As I understand it if the fan is in "Auto" mode it cycles on and off with the compressor. If you put the fan in Manual mode, it will run continously regardless of the status of the compressor. So leaving the fan in Auto means it won't be running 24/7...only when the compressor is running to cool the 320.

Is that what you were concerned about? 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Thanks AirBoss. Yes, I do keep the 320 on a 30-amp connection at home outside. Since we live in Southwest Florida with such high humidity at this time of year, we like to have the A/C come on several times during the day in addition to an electric dehumidifier running inside the unit. With the fix and even on auto mode, my fan is running continuously, it is not cycling on and off as stated in the programming video. I have navigated through the controls several times to confirm I am in A/C cooling mode and auto fan. At this point, I would just like to de-program it and revert back to original program. Any info. on how to do this? We have a call in to Elwell and NuCamp just emailed me a link to the same video. I have also replied to them asking for the de-programming instructions. Maybe the fan doesn’t ever turn off because of other factors, can’t hold temp. or high humidity. I have thought about running the dehumidifier option only on the Air8 while parked at home, but temps inside the unit are outrageous at this time of year as we do not have a shady spot available and are worried that a cover would only add to the heat and humidity issues. In a few months, the worst should be over and we won’t need to run anything while parked at home except the small inside electric dehumidifier. 
  • Options
    Strange that the fan won't cycle off with the compressor as I believe that is how the Air 8 was originally designed and why they issued the reprogramming method for the panel...so the fan stays on when it's in A/C Manual mode.  I could be incorrect about that, however. 

At the risk of stating the obvious, the fan will run for a period of time (a minute or so +/-) after the compressor shuts down in auto mode. Assume you're able to hear the change in the Air 8 when the compressor shuts down? 

Think Elwell is your best bet here. Wish you luck in getting a resolution.  

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    BurgersonBurgerson Member Posts: 9
    Please let us know what you find out.  I also made the programming change (which has helped quite a bit) but our fan also runs constantly, even after the compressor shuts off.  Thanks! 
    2020 T@B 400, Sammamish, WA
  • Options
    I am curious if you have ever thought about just running the dehudifier instead of the AC?

• Options
    I received the solution from Elwell to “Un-program”. Follow the same instructions and when you get to the final large number on the screen that you changed to the number 2, just change it back to 1. You still have to go through the complete programming as-is and only change that one number. The tech from Elwell stated that he could see this problem in a high humidity area. Basically the fan is going to be circulating humid air which is going to make it uncomfortable. I just de-programmed it. This is our first summer with the 320 out on our driveway. We feel comfortable having the Air8 set at a higher temp and the A/C coming on about once an hour during the hottest parts of the day. We have rain daily and our humidity averages 60-80%. Just trying to maintain the integrity of the interior of the unit to prevent mildew and mustiness. We have debated using just the de-humidifier but for these few critically hot months will stick with this for now. Will definitely either switch to de-humidity mode or turn off totally as we escape into lower temps and humidity. 
  • Options
    mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    @Verna @jkjenn Just wanted to thank both of you for posting videos and links on how to reprogram the Air8. With the fan running continuously and the A/C compressor periodically cycling on and off, we got a MUCH better night of sleep. Before the reprogramming, the noise would wake us, and frankly, was driving us crazy. Thanks again  :)
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
  • Options
    jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 164
    I'm about to do the reprogramming and hope that it won't foul anything up with the Air8's functioning. Other than to keep us awake at night, is there some reason it is supposed to turn on and off all the time that the reprogramming will ruin? 
    2020 Tab 320S BE "Moonbeam"
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2021
    No, typically an AC fan is either running mall the time (continuous) or is tied to the thermostat going on and off with changes in cabin temp, when compressor comes on.  The advantage of going to continuous fan on the Air8 in the TaB is to increase the AC efficiency in hot weather, but leaving the fan on to mix the air around and get better cabin cooling.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Biggest benefit of setting the fan up to run all the time is directly related to the location of the ambient temperature sensor. If yo have not installed (or had installed) a remote ambient sensor, the continuous running will help to keep the air temperature the sensor is reading accurate which prevents huge temperature swings inside the RV.

Brad
    Concord, NC 
  • Options
    HomieHomie Member Posts: 1
    Did the reprogram yesterday in our T@B 400.  Slept great with continuous fan.  But today, AC powered itself off.  I turned it back on, but after about an hour, it powered itself off.  I have to hit power button on thermostat to turn it back on.  Thoughts?
  • Options
    PassportPassport Member Posts: 112
    We had a problem with the Air8 shutting off when it reached a set temperature and the same problem with Egan not running continuously.  Reprogrammed via the YouTube video and now it runs properly as far as fan is concerned.
    But it is 96 degrees in Wichita and the the temperature on the control is 84.2 and I have it set on 68 F.  Really puzzling to me, it isn’t a simple unit.
  • Options
    CharlieBCharlieB Member Posts: 7
    I reprogrammed the AIR8 AC unit in our 2021 Tab 320-S Boondock a while ago following the instructions in the video at the top of this thread.

Since I did this, I can no longer change the speed of the fan using the "Fan Speed" button on the display. The button doesn't respond, and the fan stays on "High" all the time.

Has anyone else had this problem? Am I missing something obvious here? If I'm not, is there any way to change the speed of the fan after reprogramming the unit?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!
    2021 T@B 320-S Boondock | 2019 4Runner | Knoxville, TN
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    edited July 2023
    Hi, 

Just to check... are you in AC or dry mode?  The fan speed when running in dry mode is not changeable, although I think it's low speed.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    CharlieBCharlieB Member Posts: 7
    @Yoshi_TAB - Thanks for your question. the unit was in AC mode, so that wasn't the problem. I contacted Elwell, and it turns out that while I was reprogramming the unit, I accidentally changed the fan speed setting as well. 

Here's what Josh Elwell said: 

"I am guessing that you accidentally changed the “#9” setting which affects fan speed. If you follow the same instructions to get into the settings menu, then you should be able to change the #9 setting back to the ”3” speed, rather than the “1” speed." 

It took me a few minutes to figure out that what Josh calls the #9 setting is the next-to-last one in the final four digits in the reprogramming process explained in the video. (The bottom number here is "09.") It should be a "3" and somehow I had changed it to a "1."

Following Josh's instructions, I changed the "1" back to a "3" and the fan works the way it should again.

2021 T@B 320-S Boondock | 2019 4Runner | Knoxville, TN
  • Options
    EasternJLEasternJL Member Posts: 31
    Just giving this old thread a bump.  Has anyone ever been able to get a complete manual of ALL programming for this unit?  They've shared this backdoor setting for the fan (always on), so there must be a full manual (like an installer's manual) for this somewhere.

2024 Tab320 S - Black Canyon - "C-ThreeTwoO"
    Honda Ridgeline