Options

Simple hack for weighing propane tank

sqrpegsqrpeg Member Posts: 59

After a recent propane-related debacle I wanted an easy method to weigh our propane tank before setting off on a trip, and came up with this simple hack using a $7 luggage scale and some scrap wood. I prefer weighing the tank because it’s much more accurate vs. those inline pressure gauges.

Basically, I just drilled a 1-1/2” hole in the middle of a longish 2x4. The hanger/loop of the luggage scale passes through the hole and attaches (via a webbing strap) to the tank. Prop one end of the 2x4 on the far edge of the tub, and you can easily weigh the tank with one hand by lifting the other end. You can use the retaining bolt and wingnut to spread the tank harness apart so it doesn’t interfere with the weighing.

2018 320S Boondock | 2018 Ford Escape Titanium

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited July 2020

Clever idea!
    We've been using one of these gauges, and it seems to be fairly reliable..
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076P64ML9
    (Splitter allows hooking up a grill if needed)
    We also have a "Grill Gauge" manual spring scale, which is more accurate for monitoring purposes..
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XR2VF43
    If needed, we carry a spare tank and/or 1lb canisters to use in a pinch with an adapter.

PS: I guess that's a full tank?  (If so, then you'd always subtract 16.5 lbs & divide by 20lb to get fraction remaining;  eg, 26.5 lbs = half tank).
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Since most are not traveling now, that’s a good use for a luggage scale!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Wow, I want you on my team, great proof of concept. Now how cheap, space efficient and durable can you make it? 
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network