Options

Hello T@Bbers! Boondock package question.

Hello T@B community!

Prospective T@B owners here. My wife and I have our heart set on purchasing a new/used clamshell 320, but aren't sure about whether to shell out more money for the Boondock package. We do plan quite a bit of dry camping with RV parks every 2-4 days. This may change once we get out there as we are new to RVing. Does anyone have experiences with the standard 320 getting stuck? Bottoming out? I would love to find out what people think about this upgrade. The absolute must for us is the clamshell kitchen, we camp a lot now and love cooking outside with lots of elbow room. 

Thanks everyone!
-incidentalmusic

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    edited July 2020
    We have a regular CSS - no Boondock / pitched axle.  In terms of clearance, you gain 3-4 inches.  You also add that height to your galley counter.  We have never gotten stuck and the only time we have bottomed out is entering certain gas stations.  But, if you plan to venture out using National Forest Service unpaved roads with limited clearance, you will probably benefit by the additional clearance.  Maybe you can rent one and see what it is like.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    incidentalmusicincidentalmusic Member Posts: 16
    Good advice Sharon. I didn't even think about the galley, that would be something to check on when we head to the dealer.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited July 2020
    @incidentalmusic, I remember at least one member here adding the boondock axle to their clamshell. After that, they posted a picture of the wife standing and cooking while on a milk crate. The next comment said everything was fine until she forgot she was standing on the crate. Everything depends on whether any partner or co-camper is vertically challenged, as to how that will go. However, we did 7,000 miles last summer in our standard 320 from Michigan to the PNW and back. We did some dispersed camping, stayed on undeveloped Native American land, FS, and BLM grounds. The t@b was being towed by an enhanced Chevy Silverado 2500hd with a Z-71 off road  suspension package. The standard t@b handled all conditions well. Anywhere the truck could go, the t@b went too. We had to tow very slowly over some of the Forest Service heavily rutted roads, but the trailer got to every site we planned to. We keep our spare inside under the rear bench (couch) which is not possible on the new models, and that gained us a small bit of undercarriage clearance. I think it all depends on your style of camping. Do you want to boondock, or journey to places that mountain goats inhabit? Remote rock climbing? Photograph the night sky ftom almost unreachable locations? Then seriously consider the boondock. Otherwise, if you only want to go where you haven't been, camp where you haven't camped and see places and destinations you have yet to see, a standard clamshell may serve you very well.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Thanks Dragons, Any chance you did any beach camping? We live near Assateague National Seashore and there are OSV permits available with a small camper if it has a bathroom on board. We are big beach campers to begin with and I imagine we will be doing lots of this. (Trying not to think of all the salt water damage to the vehicles.) No rocky scrambles planned, but who knows. Galley height seems to be a giant red flag, I like to be comfortable cooking and we are both on the shorter side, I'm 5'10" she's 5'5". Moving the spare sounds like a first step, how about larger wheels? Will the inner fender accept a larger wheel and/or tire? 
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @incidentalmusic...CS-S is on our order list...had a chance to see an older boondock version at T@bazona...was worried about the kitchen countertop height too..was able to pretend cook... I'm 5'5" also...it wasn't uncomfortable...actually I wasn't bending over...which is good...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Remember, you can always put a grill or burner on a picnic table and cook there.  We don't make much use of the sink other than to draw water for dishes - we do that in wash basins on the picnic table, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    A dealership just grabbed the counter heights from the ground at my request. 44" to lower, 51" to the over fridge countertop.
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @incidentalmusic - I agree with Sharon... we have a CS-S and have never had a bottoming out problem except for the occasional driveway/gas station.  Now we do not do a MandyLea and cross creek beds, etc., but have camped in many locations.  Like most CS-S owners... the clamshell kitchen is what sold us on our T@b! ;) We bought ours used (had been taken on one short trip)... remember tho that there is no warranty for the second owner.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited August 2020
    From my experience, the NuCamp warranty (not dealer’s) goes with the trailer.  We bought a previously owned TaB400, and got nuCamp warranty on floor and front window replacements.  The overall first owners warranty is just one year (not sure if it’s is transferable) but manufacturer’s issues are covered past this.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    We purchased ours two months used.  Nucamp didn’t even want our contact info for recalls.  Told us the warranty did not transfer.  But we knew that going in, and T@bs are great quality and we had no issues.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    That is correct, @2Cougs. The factory warranty on the manufacture of nüCamp products is one year from the date of sale, and is not transferable. There are warranty cards/website info included with the original paperwork for the different additional  items that are warranted through the manufacturers of those items. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”