Options

Brake Problem on a TaB 400 BDL

JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
edited September 2020 in Tips & Tricks
Hi
 I’m in deep Idaho and my Tab started making a noise while rolling. I also have a trailer disconnected message from time to time. I crawled under it and saw this. I might be able to call a mobile rv guy but wondered if any one has seen this. 
2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
Jeff & Amy
Now in Manistee, MI

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    Looks like a brake mechanism spring of some sort.  Can you get the drum off to see if you can repair it temporarily?  I'm not familiar with electric brake mechanisms for more help.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Thanks, looks like I need to get the wheel/drum off. I am hoping that a local mobile RV tech calls me back.
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2020
    What vehicle do you tow with Jeff?   Looks like a retainer spring of some sort.  Here is a random shot from the net and the guts might be different than yours, but it gives you an idea as to what it may look like.  I got the same message on my 2016 Silverado pulling my former 320 T@B.  That could be an electrical issue and may be the brake wiring in the hub.  I remember it being time consuming trouble shooting that issue, checking connections, grounds, etc.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    It looks like the part protuding though the backing plate is that cable that is visible in the photo. Something else may have broke first.

To remove the drum, you will need to jack the trailer, remove wheel, remove hub cover (press fit) and then the correct or retainer and the big but, then the drum just pulls off and you can see what is going on
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    edited July 2020
    Here is a thread about brake adjustments with some other pictures.  Also, there are links to Dexter's brake service manuals toward the end of the thread:

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited July 2020
    That's a brake shoe spring. Lose that off of the shoe retainer and you'll hear all sorts of noise. Those can be had at most auto parts stores. The drum isn't hard to remove once the wheel is off. If you're in the boonies and need to move the trailer, the drum can be removed and the associated brake shoe taken off. Make sure to unplug (or cut) the electric brake wire. You could also disable the electric brakes by pulling the fuse in your TV for the brake controller.

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    To remove the hub you will need to push that spring back through the adjust/inspection slot in the backer plate while you work the hub off. Once you get the hub opened up you will be able to assess how much damage you have. If you are not familiar with working on these old drum brakes and don't have the tools you need you have should consider two options...one, have someone repair it for you or two, throw a complete Dexter brake assembly on. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/NuCamp/Tab+Travel+Trailer/2019/23-26.html?VehicleID=2019131645113023 This may not be the right size for a 400....is it a 10 inch hub? Etrai only lists parts for the 320 Boondock but any Dexter electric replacement will work as long as it is for the right size.

It looks like the adjuster came loose inside the hub and came apart. That appears to be the adjuster spring. This style of brake can be a bit of a PITA to assemble. It is possible to get all of the springs attached and for it to look right but have the adjuster incorrectly seated. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I emailed NuCamp to see which axle is in the 400. I am pretty sure the spring messed up the magnet causing the truck to display the warning. I might need a drum too. I like the complete assembly idea now I just need to see if they are available locally and which size I need.
    I will call NuCamp to move things along.

Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    I too am having an issue with my TAB 400 brakes.

I called Dexter Axle since they have their own warranty, and Dave Switalski (Service/Warranty Administrator at Dexter) just got back to me a day later and they will be sending me new brake parts to make the fix.

Call Dexter at (574) 295-7888.  :-)
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • Options
    @warbler_road Wow! That's the best idea yet. I only need to move the trailer 40 miles to my 90 day camp host job location so I have time to wait. I will pull the drum and collect loose parts before the trip. I also need to see the condition of the drum.
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    @JeffroNC , you'll also want to remove the plastic shield under the trailer JUST ENOUGH to take a photo of your axle serial number, center rear of the axle. It's easy. I did it by removing about 8 screws. They'll want that for the warranty form.

For interior brake pics check my thread here.
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • Options
    I can report that my 2019 Tab 400 BDL has a 4,000 lb axle. Common 3,500 lb axle parts don’t fit. The backing plate is different where it bolts to the axle and the drum is also different.
    I replaced the brake parts but the drums won’t be here for a week. 
    The campsite is a mess. LOL

Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @JeffroNC, but even the visible chaos is a sign of the progress being made.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    That was a question mark...what would fit? So is that a 3 inch axle? When you opened the hub what did you find? It sounds like you are doing a complete frontal lobotomy. What was damaged? Prize given for best service on site. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The bolt pattern was different where the Backing plate mounts to the hub. The bottom bolts were 3 1/4 inch apart where the 3,500 Axle are 2 3/4 inch. 
    Anyway, the brake parts I needed cost the same as the assembly so I just transferred them. 
    I am leaving the wires disconnected on the side with the bad drum until the drum comes in. 
    The right side was metal to metal and things were too wadded up for any analysis. The Left side seal had begun to leak but the drum was OK. 
    I used to do this kind of work 10 hours a day in my 20’s but at 67 it was a challenge.  B)
    Everything is back together. Oh yeah, I figure the trailer has about 19 k miles on it. 
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I’m glad things worked out!  Did you incur any significant cost for the change-out or were you still under warranty?  I know what you mean though as we swapped out an axle at a campsite at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, AZ after pulling the old one off, driving down to Phoenix and back and installing the new axle.  Definite spoils a day! 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2020
    Lucky you! Nice that the campground didn't regulate against disassembling vehicles... That's not an unusual rule.

Heh! It's nice to know the old skills still work after 40 years, eh? (At least the ones for 'taking apart'. Still gotta get it back together, without leftover parts!)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Aren't all the leftover parts supposed to be momentos or keepsakes of the break-down?
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
     Wanted to report That my brakes worked great. I put them to the test on Lolo Pass. E-Trailer was a great source. They quickly shipped the 4.4k drum kit to the campground we were hosting at. 
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI