Options

Flexible Solar Panel Removal

XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 74
I have a 2018 Tab 400 with a 100 Watt flexible solar panel that was installed by the dealer.  Not a factory install.  The panel has failed and I am attempting to replace it. I expected that the old panel would be attached with a foam tape or siliflex or something similar but it appears that it was attached with some sort of construction adhesive.  Something hard (not flexible at all).  I can’t figure out how to remove it without damaging the trailer.  Has anyone encountered this before?  Or any suggestions or thoughts?  I called the dealer but got no help or insight.  They basically shrugged and denied any knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @XenanMe This thread may be of no help... but I posted on how to remove VHB mounted panels...

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7621/removing-flexible-solar-panels-mounted-with-vhb-tape#latest

But I cannot imagine how difficult construction adhesive will be.  The Dremel multitool has several blades that might cut through the adhesive where it bonds to the panel.  They might work if the adhesive is only around the outer edge.  But then getting the rest of the adhesive off will be very tricky.  If it's everywhere you would need to to take the panel off in little pieces at a time.  I'm so sorry for your plight.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Thanks DougH.  I was hoping it was just around the edges but it appears to be a multiple S pattern.  Looks like I will need to break up the panel very carefully and work from there.  Or just mount the new panel on top of the old one (which isn’t ideal but is a quick fix). I guess it will be a longer project than I originally anticipated. Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Try using a heat gun to soften the adhesive, most get soft when heated. Then use a wide thin putty/sheet rock mud knife to pry up.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Ouch...that just hurts to think of.  Did the installer think panels last forever?  At least it wasn't three or four panels.

As Denny16 suggests, but don't use so much heat that it delaminates that whole section of the roof panel, or damages any foam insulation in the roof.  I think I read somewhere we have 1" square aluminum tubes on 10" centers in the roof panel with long 9" strips of foam block insulation between each rib, then adhesive, then a sheet of aluminum, then an overcoat.  A plastic scraper would be gentler than a metal one.  Or you could try very judicious thin lines of a solvent, doing only one small area first, but it would likely mess up the aluminum overcoat, necessitating a repaint of that whole area, which would be hard to match unless you only did a protective clear coat.  Perhaps only if heat doesn't work.

https://www.liquidnails.com/how-to/how-to-remove-construction-adhesives

• Options
    Thanks all for the input and suggestions.  It took just over 6 hours with a plastic putty knife and a bottle of mineral spirits to loosen the panel from the roof.  The adhesive didn’t respond measurably to the heat gun and I was fearful of creating additional damage so stopped trying it.  Unfortunately some of the paint on the roof came up with the adhesive.  In other places adhesive it still on the roof and it won’t budge without the paint going with it.  I still can’t believe how much adhesive was used. This was in addition to the panel being screwed into the roof.  Also can’t believe a Nucamp authorized dealer did such a stupid thing.  Oh well, I will fix with rubber RV roof cover where possible to avoid further damage and affix the new panel overtop. Attaching a pic of the back of the old panel to show the amount of construction adhesive that was used.  Crazy.
  • Options
    Screwed?  Into the roof?  Leaving holes?  Seriously?  :o