Options

How high can I go?

Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
Not sure if this is the right category. Newbie question. I have read many posts about people using propane at high altitudes. Some having no problems and others needing some sort of accommodation. Is there an altitude I need to stay below so that the propane I use to cool my food and the heat I use to warm my 2020 T@B 320 Boondock will operate normally? I live at sea level but travel into the mountains.
Kr@cken
2020 T@B 320 Boondock
Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
Clueless about everything electronic
2020 Subaru Ascent 
Bainbridge Island, Wa

Comments

• Options
    RFraerRFraer Member Posts: 87

We camped in Colorado at over 11,000 feet and had no problems with propane. We could light the stove and the Aldi and refrigerator work properly. We Live at sea level and had a mild case of altitude sickness the first few days. FYI, popcorn doesn't fully pop at that altitude but if you like half pops it's great.  

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited August 2020
    Generally speaking above 5500' (+/-) elevation you may start to experience reduce performance in cooling the fridge. As for the heating, the Alde 3020 has a built-in high-elevation system that automatically adjusts to those higher elevations so you should be OK there. Same for the propane stove, it should operate normally. I've used the green Coleman 1lb tanks at over 8000' without any issues. 

If you're camping in the Cascades I doubt you'll be at an elevation that significantly impacts the performance of your gas operated systems. Unless of course you decide to drag your 320 up to Camp Muir on Mt. Rainier!  ;)

BTW...how long before the new arena in Seattle where the Kracken will play is called the "KrackHouse?"  =)
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Should you decide to invest in a portable generator, most (if not all) suggest switching out carburetor jets starting at anywhere from 2000 ft. to 4000 ft. In the case of Honda eu2200i, it's very easy to change it out. In the case of a larger home panel sized unit like Wen DF475T, there is a lot of taking things apart, realigning gaskets and even some swearing!
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    Thanks so much. The Honda was the one I was going for. I think I got the generator posts and propane posts confused. So much to learn!
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The Alde high altitude setting is something you need to select from the control panel, it doesn't automatically do that (no built in altimeter) but easy to do.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Thanks. It looks like I need to make that change at about 3000’. Not something I knew I had to do.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited August 2020
    Kr@cken said:
    Thanks so much. The Honda was the one I was going for. I think I got the generator posts and propane posts confused. So much to learn!
    Yes, the generator posts are many and they head down different paths. You can find a regular Honda portable gasoline powered generator just about anywhere. There are at least a couple of places that sell credible propane conversion kits. Once converted, it's a propane unit. Genconnex out of Massachussetts sells a propane converted unit that is ready-to-go (except for jet replacement if you're using it from 4500 - 9000 ft. elevation).
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Thank you for the advice. One last question just in case I start with gasoline, I see people packing their gasoline tanks on their Thule racks on the back of their 320’s. I see it quite often actually. Is this considered a safe practice? I would think if I got rear ended by a semi my gas can would be the first thing hit. Does anyone transport in their TV or on the rack in front? I guess that is why I would prefer propane, Just not sure how to safely haul gas around. Sorry if I shifted from the original thread.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2020
    @Kr@cken, there is a total weight limit on the rear rack that you need to take into account. And you need to watch your tongue weight, also. Being hit from the rear by a semi would be catastrophic no matter where your gas container is, in my honest opinion.  

Doing a search of the forum, depending on which source you pay attention to, the weight limit of the rear rack is between 70 to 100 lbs. Gasoline will weigh 8 lbs per gallon. Watch for denting the aluminum roof under the rear rack—that would tell you how much weight not to use. I understand it is expensive to replace the one piece aluminum roof. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    MandyLee and her partner store their gas and water can on the front rack.
    I think mounting on the rear racks on RVs is a throw back to military practice of mounting Jerry gas cans on the rear of their vehicles.
      I agree, this is not a safe practice, especially in rear end accident situations.  I carry gas in vapor proof metal gas containers in the back of my truck bed.  Lacking that space, the trailer front rack would be my next place to store extra gas.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Once again the forum comes through!
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    I've been above 8000 feet several times in my 2017, which has no "high altitude" mods, and have never had an issue.  No Alde "freight train", no cooling issues on fridge. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I've been above 8000 feet several times in my 2017, which has no "high altitude" mods, and have never had an issue.  No Alde "freight train", no cooling issues on fridge. 
    Same, but it does sound louder.  Luck of the draw I guess since some have issues above 5000ft.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,006
    I live at 10,200 ft elevation and you will have no issues.  The fridge will be freezing cold.  The cooler air temps help as well with that. And your alde heater will also work fine in the high altitude mode or if you use the heat pump on the cool cat.  You'll be toasty warm.  I have a 2021 400.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Thank you for your response.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    2Doxies2Doxies Member Posts: 13
    I have noticed this summer, when boondocking in the mountains that the alde is rumbling a bit. So, if I switch the setting to high altitude, that will stop?
  • Options
    2Doxies2Doxies Member Posts: 13
    Rumbles when Ive used the heat
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @2Doxies - using the Alde high altitude mode should prevent the “Alde Freight Train”!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio