Options

This Hot Water Bypass is confusing. When do you ans when do you don't?

I've read, probably too much; and searched here, probably not enough; and I looked elsewhere too much. I'm so confused.
When filling with water tank when do you bypass the hot water heater and when do you don't, other than sanitizing? I'll be boondocking and using city hook-ups.
Sorry if this has been gone over a bunch. I couldn't find a definitive explanation. I'm an over-thinker, non-analytical type that still writes cheat sheets on my hand.
On a brighter, more coherent note, tomorrow we're taking our 2021 320 Boondock on its maiden voyage. Actually it's taking us. Thanks to all here that has made it easier. We can hardly wait.
2021 320 S Boondock
Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
Des Moines, IOWA!

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    andyboy said:
    I've read, probably too much; and searched here, probably not enough; and I looked elsewhere too much. I'm so confused.
    When filling with water tank when do you bypass the hot water heater and when do you don't, other than sanitizing? I'll be boondocking and using city hook-ups.
    Sorry if this has been gone over a bunch. I couldn't find a definitive explanation. I'm an over-thinker, non-analytical type that still writes cheat sheets on my hand.
    On a brighter, more coherent note, tomorrow we're taking our 2021 320 Boondock on its maiden voyage. Actually it's taking us. Thanks to all here that has made it easier. We can hardly wait.
    No bypass.needed until you winterize. 

Have a great trip and report back!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited August 2020
    @andyboy, you should only need to use the hot water bypass valve when sanitizing the fresh water holding tank and water lines, OR when winterizing the water lines with anti-freeze.  Using the bypass allows you to isolate the Alde hot water tank (boiler) so that the chlorine bleach and/or anti-freeze does not enter the Alde tank.  The chemicals can damage the interior of the tank.

If you want to separately sanitize the Alde tank, you can use “Puriclean,” which is a non-toxic, non-caustic solution that is safe to remove stains from stainless steel (and other materials.)

Although I have never used "Puriclean," I previously copied the below link, which is apparently a good source for it here in the US:

http://www.hopkins-carter.com/pumf14oztub.html .

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    Thank you! Now that’s stuff I can understand!
    No Bypass’til Brooklyn! Well winterizing, at least.
     Off we go tomorrow. Stayed tuned....
    Thanks again.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
    Des Moines, IOWA!