Options

Ford Escape overheating when towing our T@B

My wife and I have a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine. I assume it has the factory tow package because it came with a FoMoCo hitch and wiring when we bought it used in 2016. We've towed our T@B 320 all over Michigan and to North Carolina in 2017 without any problems. In the last year, it started acting up with with overheat codes from the transmission and some sporadic, rough shifting instances that went away. I bought a ScanGauge and monitored the temps during a camping trip to eastern Michigan in July. On the freeway travelling at 70 mph, I noticed coolant temps would rise rise to a range of 220-230 F. Trans temps would range from 215 to the 220s. Under 60 mph, temps would be 210 or below.   

I took it to my Ford dealership and they've found no problems. They pressure tested the cooling system for 24 hours and recommended replacing the antifreeze bottle and cap because it was venting 18 psi as opposed to 21 psi per spec. After they did this repair, I took it for a test tow and coolant temps went above 220 F. I even weighed our T@B and it's 2,100 lbs with stuff in it. The funny thing is the standard temp gauge stays in the normal position and doesn't move up.   

Has anyone had this problem or have suggestions?  I'm not ready to sell our Escape because it's fully paid off and in good shape with around 80k miles. We're not using it a lot since we work at home.          

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
     . . .  freeway travelling at 70 mph, I noticed coolant temps would rise rise to a range of 220-230 F. Trans temps would range from 215 to the 220s.
    . . .  Under 60 mph, temps would be 210 or below.        
    Just a thought;
        when towing drive at 60MPH, you know the system runs cooler.
        it should also improve the MPG
        and really is a bit safer.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Unless I missed it you didn't mention a coolant system flush.  My good friend owns a auto repair shop.  He maintains fleets of F150's with the 3.5 Ecoboost engines.  Since he knows I'm a Ford fan he has mentioned to stay away from preowned Ecoboost engines.  He says all are proned to overheating as the cooling passages in the engine are so small they get obstructed routinely over time.  Maybe its true for the small engines also.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Does it have a transmission cooler?  I rarely see tranny temps above 200 on the hottest days driving in traffic in my Ridgeline.  It was equipped with the factory cooler. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    2Doxies2Doxies Member Posts: 13
    @GatorEgg, why preowned ecoboost engines? Im the new owner of an F150,2018, and loove the way it pulls my t@b up and down all the mountain passes out here
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited August 2022
    A previously owned vehicle/engine will have more wear, and it’s actual condition will depend on previous owner use and maintenance (or lack of), and the Echo boost engine will be more likely to develop issues, if cooling system was properly not maintained.  At some point it appears, the cooling system or its will become clogged and overheating issues can occur when stressing the vehicle with towing.  This seems to be a documented issue with some Ford Focus engine cooling hoses, may apply to the Escape also?
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ChessieMikeChessieMike Member Posts: 5
    GatorEgg said:
    Unless I missed it you didn't mention a coolant system flush.  My good friend owns a auto repair shop.  He maintains fleets of F150's with the 3.5 Ecoboost engines.  Since he knows I'm a Ford fan he has mentioned to stay away from preowned Ecoboost engines.  He says all are proned to overheating as the cooling passages in the engine are so small they get obstructed routinely over time.  Maybe its true for the small engines also.
    I have not had a coolant flush, but I think it might be a good idea. I'm surprised my Ford dealership didn't recommend it because it has around 85,000 miles on it.   
  • Options
    silvioplcsilvioplc Member Posts: 1
    Hello @ChessieMike
    I have a 2013 Ford Escape Se Ecoboost 2.0 and yesterday and today was my first time towing my 2015 T@b 320 CS-S... It ran hot (below the 3/4 mark but never went above) while going 60 mph on some hills...
    Did you every fix your issue, and if so, what did you do? 
    Thanks!
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @silvioplc @ChessieMike has not been active on the forum since the above post was made in August of 2020. It is unlikely you will receive an answer if the OP hasn't been active in 2 years. You might try a PM and hope to get an answer.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    hustoncshustoncs Member Posts: 18
    @ChessieMike Yup do the flush and since you will be towing you should do this regularity. Anyway you should look into an Oil/Transmission cooler which helps allot. There are many vendors that can supply this for your vehicle. Just ask a local mechanic independent of the dealer. There also maybe an auxiliary or oversized radiator available, but again ask a trusted local mechanic. Figure a few hundred dollars to install, but if the car is paid for it's a great investment!    Cheers
    2001 Toyota Sequoia || 2022 Tab 400 Boondock
  • Options
    sbhtennissbhtennis Member Posts: 67
    I have a 2013 Ford Escape and today it approached the 3/4 mark on the heat gauge. This occurs when going uphill and I think only when outside temps are above 80
    Pulling a 2016 Tab Max S
    So is a flush the way to go?
  • Options
    MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 346
    Make sure the front of the radiator is clear of bugs and crud. You could try spraying water under pressure through the radiator from back to front to clear dirt as well. If that doesn't work or if your coolant isn't clear, a flush would be my next go to. Make sure the thermostat is replaced when you do the flush. I don't know Ford well enough; some thermostats fail open, some fail closed and some die in the middle.

There is a more controversial thought. There is a transmission oil cooler, either built into or in front of the radiator (behind the air conditioner heat exchanger). Transmission overheating will cause the engine coolant to overheat as the coolant radiator is behind the transmission cooler. The two possible directions are a transmission flush or a larger oil cooler. If you haven't been doing regular transmission flushes, I wouldn't recommend the first flush be after 70,000 miles unless the fluid is pretty clean and the right color. When overheated, the fluid turns darker. When things begin to wear out, the ground material shows up as cloudy fluid. At any rate, the transmission flush has pluses and minuses, making it a bit controversial, riddled with wives tales and opinions.

Good luck
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"