Options

BattleBorn Lithium battery and SmartShunt installation

I finally installed my BB Lithium battery and Victron SmartShunt.  In general, this was a pretty easy mod and I'm super happy with the results.  I'm a bit nerdy, so the extra SmartShunt data I get with the Victron app is right up my alley.

I had to replace the stock Group 24 battery box with a Group 27 box in order to hold the BB.  I did have to remove two self-tapping screws from the old box and attach the new box with the same screws by drilling two holes in it and one new hole in the bottom of the tub.  This was very easy since the tub is aluminum. 

I mounted the SmartShunt inside the battery box, on the end closest to the negative terminal of the battery.  I chose to 3D print a plastic part that screws to the battery box and the SmartShunt, but one could use an appropriately sized piece of wood.  I also printed  spacers to go between the battery and the negative end of the box and also between the battery and box lid but, again, one could use pieces of wood for this.

I used a 12" 6 AWG battery cable to attach the BB negative terminal to the Battery Minus post of the SmartShunt.  This cable is flexible enough to easily route between the battery and the box as seen in the photo.   A 6" cable would have been even better.  One annoying part of the installation involved cutting the stock lugs off the 2 trailer negative power (white) wires and replacing them with 3/8" lugs to fit the Load Minus post of the SmartShunt.   The trailer positive power wires, along with the red monitor wire from the SmartShunt go onto the BB positive terminal without any modifications, although I guess I could have shortened the monitor wire.

Top view:
Note the proximity of the SmartShunt monitor wire and the negative battery terminal.   This was mitigated with spacers between the battery and box, but I may also add a rubber terminal boot for additional safety.

End view:

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Nice write up @sptucker. Very clear photos. Thanks! This added to my understanding of the SmartShunt. I look forward to them being more readily available in the future.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    A rubber boot over the ground terminal on the battery is a grand idea, given the proximity to the shunt, better to be safe.  I would also boot the battery positive terminal.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Nice install, I don't have the easy option to 3D print structures, but it sure is nice to produce a clean install.  BTW, it's not make or break for charging but you may want to consider adding the Victron battery temp accessory. It's not very expensive, replaces the voltage sense wire and allows the charging system to (slightly) better charge the battery.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
    @Denny16 I found boots at NAPA auto nearby.  Potential problem solved!

@MarkAI I know the BB has built-in temp sensing, but I will investigate your suggestion, thank you.  At this point, we aren't doing any camping with hookups, so I'm relying completely on the factory solar for charging.  This, and weight, are the main reasons I went Lithium.

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i
  • Options
    MikeWright01MikeWright01 Member Posts: 10
    I have been looking into switching to a Lithium but I don't have a clear view of how to avoid burning up my alternator. What method do you use?  I use this Youtube video for reference.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgoIocPgOughttps :.  It looks like the battery is charged by the convertor, Solar, and the TV in my T@B320S

2022 nuCamp T@B 400 Boondock
    2021 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Most TV will only trickle charge a RV battery.  For lithium batteries, you can add a DC/DC converter, battery charger, that will protect the TV system and isolate it from the trailer, whilst getting the trailer battery charged.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    @sptucker Thanks much for this write up.  I know I am resurrecting an older thread, but I just ordered a Smartshunt to complement my Victron MPPT controller.  Your write up will help a lot with installing it.  BTW, which BB lithium battery were you able to fit into the G27 battery box?  I am considering switching to lithium when my current SLA battery bites the dust and after I figure out the whole "will it drain my tow vehicle battery" question.  I have a T@B 320 with the factory solar option and can configure the Victron controller for lithium charging, but I am still a bit undereducated on the tow vehicle battery question.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"