Options

TaB400 leak issues

Just discovered another potential water intrusion point, the pax side 110VAC outlet, has leaked water behind the galley rea, running down on the floor, and appears to have been an issue since the trailer was built (Jan/2018).  Here is a shot of the leak area, notice the water stain running down the wall from the rear of the outlet:

The tech discovered this while dismantling the trailer interior prior to replacing the floor, this is one of the non Azdel floor units built in Nov 2017 to Jan 2018.  Solution is to reseal the outside of the outlet mount.

Other potential leak areas are the rear handles, wheel wells, and bottom side to floor seam.  Also any opening in the sides, like the cargo and Alde/Water system doors, 30-amp power plug, out side shower and tank fill/ flush fittings.  Even if properly sealed by the factory, time and use can weaken the seal, and allow water leaks.
cheers
2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.

Comments

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @Denny16 I learned an expensive lesson on our old travel trailer about not minding exterior gaskets and caulking.  It was too late when I discovered the gasket seal broken on top of the cable tv inlet fixture.  It was unfortunately directly below the end of the gutter, and water had been running off the roof, down the gutter, and right across this fixture.  I had a 2’x2’ rotten area of flooring, and the bottom 6 inches of the wall to replace.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have had a small leak at the front passenger side of my 400 and it only happens while driving in heavy downpours.   It’s not a large leak, but just enough to dampen the front cushion a bit.  The factory looked for it but evidently it is still there as I noticed it on my way back from the west.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    I sealed the outside electric outlet with some spray foam around the exposed areas of the outlet box inside the trailer.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Spray foam is nit a water barrier, and it will break down as the trailer flexes going down the road.  You still need to caulk the outlet cover plate, or replace the faceplate seal.
    cheers
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 73
    Thank you for posting this info.  I have noticed the bottom edge of my sink cabinet in my 2018 Tab 400 is warping as if there is water getting to it.  I checked for leaks on the water pipes, sink, drain, etc. but couldn’t see a problem.  Didn’t even think about the outside outlet.  I will dig a little deeper.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    @Denny16 Thank you for the heads up. Since the cabinet under the sink covers the possible leak I would never have checked. I removed the outlet cover and the foam gasket was the only water barrier. I cleaned the area and applied Dicor to the foam gasket before reinstalling the cover. Should be good for now. 
    Thanks again. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I discovered there was a leak from under the sink unit when it rained, and I had water on the floor in front of the sink and door area.  Knew something was up, checked plumbing, etc, no sign of a leak.  Only during the cabinet removal was the leak source discovered.  I did not even consider the outlet would let in enough water, but alas, it did. As the stain on the floor area, shows where the water went, and that it had been an issue from the start.  

The blue arrow shows the outside AC outlet box, where water ran down the inside wall and under the cabinet floor.

I think anyone with a TaB that has an outdoor outlet, should remove the cover and seal the gasket (if in good kit, or replace) with Dicor to the trailer surface as DennisP did.
    cheers
  • Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    Resurrecting an old thread, but it appears I have the same issue.  I was about to recaulk the outlet box, but there is no evidence it was ever caulked from the factory.  After pulling the cover plate off and seeing how it is all put together, I suspect this has been leaking from day 1.  The outlet box has NOTHING holding it in place other than friction.  There is NO CONNECTION WHATSOEVER between the outlet box and the side wall. 

Yes, you read that correctly, zip, zero, nada is holding the outlet box to the camper body other than friction and the stiffness of the electrical wire that is inside the camper.  So, basically, the outlet cover gasket is completely useless since there is, again, NOTHING that "clamps" the gasket between the cover and the body.

@De@Denny16, I can't tell from your picture, but was yours the same way?  Or was the outlet box actually attached to anything?

The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    edited April 2022
    The outlet box (which is a remodel box) is clamped to the TaB side panel, there are some plastic tabs on the inside of the box, that draw up against the inside of the trailer side.  There was a foam gasket between the outside cover p,ate and the outside wall.  They do get damaged and/or wear out.  Yours probably fell out after cracking.  Our dealer service tech, recommended re-caulking the outside cover to the TaB wall.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    Interesting. 
    I ended up just caulking over the outer perimeter. I can no longer see daylight through the sidewall so hopefully I got the leak stopped for good (or at least for the life of the caulk :) ). 
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT