Bathroom fan switch

We recently bought a 2019 Tab 400 BDL.  On our first trip out the switch on the bathroom fan seemed a bit flaky.  I had to push a couple of time to get it to turn off.  Back in the driveway, it came on, on its own.  The only way I could get the fan to turn off was pulling the fuse.

I haven't had much chance to play with it, but I'm wondering if the switch (a single speed push button) can simply be replaced, or if I'm looking at a whole new fan?  I have no issues with the fan, if the switch can be replaced.  Has anyone else done this?

2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite
2017 Dodge Durango AWD with Tow Package IV
A can of Skyline Chili in the pantry

Comments

• TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    You just need a switch. I took our fan out by unscrewing the four screws that hold it in. I was then able to disconnect the switch from its wires and undo it.  I got a replacement from Uncle Jeff's online emporium.
    2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    Yes, I did the same and replaced it with one of these (i snipped the wires off the leads).  Make sure you pull the fuse so you're not working with live wires, but it is very easy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W4YK1LD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    Thanks.  I was hoping it would be like that.  The fuse is already out, as that is the only current way to shut the fan off.
    Back in the day, I would head down to my local Radio Shack for a new switch (and maybe to drool over the TRS-80 computers).  Back in the day.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Miss Radio Shack, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    Any auto parts store will have a variety of switches that will work.  Mine does the same thing, but I haven’t gotten around to changing it out.
  • qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    I had the exact problem with my one year old 2019 T@B 400 BDL. I bought a whole bag of what looks like the same switch from Amazon very cheap:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W4YK1LD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

but thanks for letting us know its pretty easy to replace.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    2020 T@B 400 here and this week we’ve experienced the same thing:  the bathroom vent fan will turn itself on.  It has happened three times this week while camping, and after coming back home, the next morning I went out to the camper to find it running again.
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    +1 on the bathroom fan switch. When I get home I am going to put a controller in the hole. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NQ5G71/?coliid=I1L98QDV17LOGA&colid=1R1G2KJZR1OJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    I'll let you know if/how it works.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I do not think you need a 30amp controller Jeff, one of the smaller DC controllers some are using on the Fanastic Fan would work, and be a better fit on the fan.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited October 2020
    Turns out to be a very easy fix.  Seems you can’t just buy one switch on Amazon, so a bag of 8 of them it was.  Pull the fuse for the ceiling fans, remove the 4 corner screws, unplug the wires from the switch and motor leads to release the fan assembly.  Unscrew bad switch, replace with new 12mm 125V 3A two pole latching push button switch.  Plug wires back in, screw assembly in place, replace fuse.  Start to finish maybe a 10 minute job - and I’ve got 7 more switches left over in case this one goes bad. ;)

Old fuse on left; new fuse on the right.  Not exact match, but close enough.

Photo size reduced - Sharon
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @Denny16
    good point. I'll do some more research.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    @TNOutback Your 10 minute job took me 30 mins.  I am 6'2" and it is a little hard for me to get underneath and look directly up at this fan.  Accordingly, I took the four outside bracket screws off and fiddled around for a while before I noticed the other four screws that actually hold the fan assembly in place.  Once I got that down, I noticed my new switches had wires soldered to the connector blades so I had to go inside and get the soldering iron to take those off.  Everything went back together smoothly and I will pre-unsolder a couple more switches to put in my spare parts box for when this one goes bad.  I also noticed the terminals on the original switch were corroded which might be the source of why the switch failed.  For the first time ever I could actually see the arrows labeled open and closed under the control lever.  It's entirely possible I've been leaving the vents open all the time which may have let moisture onto the switch causing it to fail.  The whole fan seems minimally effective and feels like it is blowing a lot of air into the bathroom irrespective of whether the vents are open or closed.  I may start thinking about an upgrade for this at some future time.  Thanks for your description of how to do this little repair.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • TresK3TresK3 Member Posts: 65
    Took me about 30 minutes, too.  Also had to do a little solder work.

• mikewisniewskimikewisniewski Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2020 TAB400bdl that has about 1 1/2 months use, and our fan switch would not stay on without holding the button up.  I took the fan down and took the switch out and took it apart and cleaned it up.  (it already had some corrosion on it)  used some WD40 and put it back together and its still working.   I bought a replacement switch but have not installed it yet.   I think when the fan works it works good enough but its not what I would call a quality fan.  Maybe someday when it fails we'll install a maxxair fan. not sure how much better they are???
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I used my shower and fan for 18 continuous months in the 2019 T@B 400 I sold to @TresK3

But I only used the fan after my shower, not during the shower. (I don’t know if that makes a difference or not.). The shower curtain tended to billow during the shower if I ran the fan during the shower, so it was easier to let the steam out with the fan after the shower. 

Apparently, the 18 months is a record of sorts as the switch gave up the ghost after the sale. 

@mikewisniewski, many owners are replacing the bathroom single speed Fantastic Fan with the 3-speed Fantastic Fan that they remove from the cabin area when they upgrade to the 10 speed Fantastic or Maxxair fan. I do not know the price difference between the two fans, just relating to my observations here on the forum and on FB. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited October 2020
    Our 2018 (Jan 2018 build) TaB 400 has its original washroom fan, and switch — both still working fine.  I worked out thst if the fan is set to pull air out of the space (exhaust mode), the shower curtain tends to be pulled towards you.  In this mode the roof vent is open to the outside.  If you set the draft control to blow air back down into the shower (air vent is closed and fan is redirecting the air back down) this will push the shower curtain away from you whilst showering.  Then, just reset the damper to exhaust the air for a short bit.

After the warm moist air has been vented, we reset the fan to circulate mode (air blowing down) with the washroom door slightly open, helps to dry the shower curtain very quickly.  

In nice weather we leave the washroom fan vent in the open (exhaust) mode to allow some air into the trailer, same with the main fan, as we have the MaxAir hood on it.  No issues with corrosion on either fan or the switches.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Cheryl13Cheryl13 Member Posts: 30
    Our 2021 TaB bathroom fan switch handle has already broken.  We hope to just replace the whole fan next spring. Recommendations?  
    2021 T@B 400
    2019 Subaru Ascent
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    On my outing this week, my bathroom fan switch stopped working as well...took delivery June 1, 2020 (2021 T@B 400).
    Took the fan down to replace the switch with one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WZLDDLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I discovered the switch casing unscrews to reveal the internal spring and contact mechanism, which did indeed have some light corrosion. Cleaned it up with WD40, and it works like new again. 
    So if you're on the road and the switch stops working, this is a very easy field fix to make. 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller