Options

XC90 vs 4Runner?

OchkyOchky Member Posts: 3
Anyone tow their Tab with either a Volvo XC90 or a 4Runner? I’m considering buying a 2018 XC90 (T6 AWD) or perhaps a new(er) 4Runner. Understand they’re very different vehicles and there are things I like about each.. but wondering if anyone here tows with either one and what the experience is. 
I’ll be towing an older Dutchmen Tab, which I believe are quite a bit lighter than the newer ones, and while towing is secondary to the daily driving, I want to make sure my car can handle it. I currently have a 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6, and from what I read I’d likely be pushing it (200lb tongue weight!) even with an older Tab (only 120 or so tongue weight I believe, but I’m guessing that doesn’t include battery or propane — or does it?). There are other reasons I want to get rid of the outback too - lots of minor but annoying and frequent electrical issues with it since day 1 unfortunately (perhaps bad luck, I always thought Subarus are considered reliable). 

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We towed our Outback around Oregon and to Iowa a couple of times-it was a 2006 V8 2WD. The Rockies were hillocks. 12-13mpg, but? Have no idea how our newer V6 will handle it since we’ve been nowhere this year. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    edited August 2020
    I'm currently towing our T@B with a 2018 4Runner - it performs quite competently. The engine/transmission combination handles it well without any odd hunting back and forth on grades. Previously I've towed other trailers a lot of miles (including cross country) up to 3000 lbs with a 2005 4Runner with a V6 with the same experience.  Its a very solid platform for towing lighter loads (<3000 lbs).  The tow specs are 500 lb tongue weight and 5000 gross tow weight.  My loads are always 60% of this or less, and I really like having the margin of safety. Fuel ecomony will go from 20/21 highway to 14 mpg with the T@B and slightly better with other trailers depending more on wind resistance than weight.  Good luck with your decision.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    Another rig to consider is the Highlander.  Same towing specs as the 4Runner with a little more space and comfort.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    Here's a little more information for you at least on the Toyota choices.  Today's 4Runners still use the 4.0 liter 1GR-FE engine paired with a 5 speed automatic.  Many reviews consider it 'old school' and outdated.  I find however that it just simply works well (especially for light towing) with the downside being the loss of 2-3 mpg.  Toyota has switched many of its similar offerings now to the 3.5L V6 - lots of details here:
    https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/02/engine-deep-dive-toyota-tacomas-atkinson-cycle-v-6.html

This updated V6 can be tuned and the transmission programmed to give better fuel economy when motoring down the road normally (no towing).

I did extensive test driving and study from 2017 into early 2018 before buying a second 4Runner.  Driving a Tacoma with this 3.5 V6 and the 6 speed auto transmission at the time involved a lot of hunting and shifting betwee gears 4,5,and 6 on grades, even without towing.  The salesman I bought from related several cases where Tacoma's had been traded back in because the V6 Atkinson engine/6 spd tran combo just didn't have the torque to pull at lower rpms - it had to get up to higher rpms, thus the transmission shifted out of 6th gear down to 5 or even 4 a lot when subjecting it to a towed load especially with a headwind and/or lots of wind resistance.  I don't have any experience with recent Highlanders but they do use a similar engine. I would suggest a thorough test drive loaded up with passengers and ascending steep grades and going into head winds at highway speeds.  This is probably as close a test as you can get since I doubt a dealer allows a towing test drive.  Different Highlander offerings may be fine for towing as I see many on this forum use them.  Just something for you to consider when looking.  Good luck
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2020
    The 3.x L series V6 engines develop their torque at higher RPMs (2500-3500), so pulling a load is going to result in a downshift to get RPMs up to get the require torque output.  This is the same with all of these newer V6 engines being used by several car makers, including Chrysler.  That said, the engine gets the job done better than the older V6 designs.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I’m towing a Tab 320S with a 2020 4Runner. I live in Montana and frequently  tow over some significant mountain passes. I’m really happy with the performance of the 4Runner as a tow vehicle and would recommend it. I recently went over Home-stake Pass which is a long pull at 55 mph and around 2500 rpm. I could of gone faster but it was hot and I’m not in a hurry, nor do I want to push my vehicle hard. I also like the reliability of the Toyota, I’ve owned several and they have all been great vehicles. On easy terrain I average 16 MPG towing and in the mountains I drop to 12 MPG. 
  • Options
    JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    I have a 2020 T6 AWD XC90 and will be picking up my 2021 Tab 320 S BD soon and hope to report back.

The 2 have equal tow ratings and besides that, they couldn't be more different in terms of an everyday vehicle. By all accounts, the XC90 will be better in most any regard for normal everyday driving. From ride quality (I have the air suspension), drivetrain, power output, seating capacity, creature comforts, fuel economy, etc the XC90 will probably be easier to live with.

The downsides of the XC90 to a 4Runner are certainly reliability and parts cost. If your number 1 priority is not having to deal with issues (both small, nagging ones, or potentially large) and the tradeoff with the above inferiorities are acceptable, then the 4Runner would be the choice of the 2. Also, cost. The XC90 will be more expensive over the life of ownership ... heck just getting the OEM tow hitch on and software costs upwards of $2k on my XC90.

Have you considered a Lexus GX460? It's essentially a platform-mate of the 4Runner, but has a burly V8 and some more creature comforts. There is lots of value in the used market for one a couple years old. Its carries the same Toyota reliability and rugged body-on-frame construction (like the 4Runner). Moreover, it's tow rating is at 6,500lbs so you have headroom should you want to upsize your trailer in the future. One of the main downsides of course is going to be fuel economy ... it's pretty abysmal for its class and more like that of a 1/2ton pickup with a big V8.

If you do go for a GX460, I would look for the Luxury trim that has the auto-leveling rear suspension...great for towing.
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500
  • Options
    mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    @ochky  Have towed our 2021 320S Boondock about 3,000 miles in total this summer using a 2018 Toyota 4Runner. Gas mileage about 15 mpg, and vehicle has plenty of power and lots of storage room. Mostly driven on good roads with campsites not too far off the highway. I almost forget the trailer is behind me, towing with the 4Runner is a breeze.
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio