Options

A "Y" Connector on the Gray and Black tank connections

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

OK, I read somewhere that one of the T@B owners put short pieces of hoses and a "Y" connector to connect the gray and black tank "exits" (I can't think of the correct term here), and I can't find the discussion.  

Could you post a picture of how you did this, please?  I asked a friend with a 43' Class A to show me what their hookups look like and the "Y" connector was built-in--looks really expensive....  I've seen the T@B tongue with black and gray tubes and I can't quite figure out what the "Y" connection looks like.  And, do you keep the "Y" connector in place while traveling, or do you remove it after flushing the tanks.

Thanks for your help.

Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Verna - the product pictures show a set up with longer hoses. Just remember to leave the black tank closed until you are ready to dump. If you don't the liquid will flush out and the solid will, well, solidify and be difficult to clean.http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39812-RhinoFLEX-Wye/dp/B002OUIXU8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433814707&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+sewer+y

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited June 2015
    The other thing to keep in mind, if you leave the grey waste gate open, close it for a time prior to dumping so you have it to flush the line after the black water flush if you don't have a flush king type unit inline.  I'm setting up a Y unit but I won't leave it in place for it would prove even more vulnerable than the existing system.  
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    Bgkirk combined his grey and black water tank outlets. Informaton can be found in the 16 January post here
    http://www.tab-rv.com/forum#/discussion/comment/7771

• Options

Thank you, Jen, Rad and BchBum.  That makes sense. 

Yes, leave gray water tank partially filled to rinse out black tank's residue in hose, and don't leave "Y" in place because it can be damaged in transit. 

With the flushing unit in place you can put some water back in the black tank to help to rinse more out.  Paul, my friend with the 43' Class A, reminded me that the water will never be totally clear when coming out of the black tank....a good thing to know, and will save some water and effort.

Empty gray water tank last to help rinse out hose.

Thank you very much! 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    I must be missing something, I don't see the advantage of the Y connection. In standard configuration, you connect to the black and dump, then the grey and dump- two connections. With the Y, you connect one side of the Y to black and the other side to grey- two connections- then the hose to the Y outlet- a third connection. When finished you have to diconnect the Y assembly for travel and store an extra piece of gear. Seems more complicated with the Y connection. I don't have a T@B yet (expecting delivery in July) so I may be missing the obvious.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    JustJohn said:
    I must be missing something, I don't see the advantage of the Y connection. In standard configuration, you connect to the black and dump, then the grey and dump- two connections. With the Y, you connect one side of the Y to black and the other side to grey- two connections- then the hose to the Y outlet- a third connection. When finished you have to diconnect the Y assembly for travel and store an extra piece of gear. Seems more complicated with the Y connection. I don't have a T@B yet (expecting delivery in July) so I may be missing the obvious.
    My previous RV had a single outlet that was connected to the two waste gates, black and grey.  This is how the majority of RV's are set up; it is a very easy, neat and clean system to use.  No taking off a messy waste hose from the black water then reconnection to grey.  If in camp with hook ups for an extended stay you never have to mess with the waste hose.  

Val and I will be in Yellowstone for a 5 night stay in Septemberw with full hook ups.  With the Y connector I will not have to mess with the waste hose for the time we are there.

if it is a short stay without hookups there is no advantage to the Y.  It would just complicate the trip to the dump station.

As for storage, I have a waste bin in my TV where the connector and two short additional hoses will be stored.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    So Rad - It's really only convenient and worth it if you have a sewer connection at the campgrounds it sounds. I've only been in one small site in NM that had that and I was there for only a night so did't seem worth even hooking up.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    PXLated said:
    So Rad - It's really only convenient and worth it if you have a sewer connection at the campgrounds it sounds. I've only been in one small site in NM that had that and I was there for only a night so did't seem worth even hooking up.
    I would say that is a fair statement.  However, if a person did the permanent  conversion as Bgkirk did that would make the dumping process neat and clean all the time.  I'm still considering the permanent  solution.  
  • Options
    I like the idea of just one but the permanent crossover makes me nervous as the gray line sits so low - I've managed to wipe out one so far. Probably easier to fix/replace one on the road then the duelly.
  • Options
    JustJohn said:
    John, I'm concerned about being fumbly-fingered (especially the first few times) and dripping the black tank "contents" before I can get it onto the gray tank connection. After seeing the big setup, it looked so much easier than the one Sofitel setup that I've seen with two separate pipes.

Believe it or not, I've never been inside a T@B and poked around, nor have I poked around on the outside, except seeing the gray and black pipes next to the tongue on a Sofitel. I wouldn't have known what it all meant without some of the lessons from here.  Pictures have been telling me more than a million words ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Verna said:
    JustJohn said:
    John, I'm concerned about being fumbly-fingered (especially the first few times) and dripping the black tank "contents" before I can get it onto the gray tank connection. After seeing the big setup, it looked so much easier than the one Sofitel setup that I've seen with two separate pipes.

Believe it or not, I've never been inside a T@B and poked around, nor have I poked around on the outside, except seeing the gray and black pipes next to the tongue on a Sofitel. I wouldn't have known what it all meant without some of the lessons from here.  Pictures have been telling me more than a million words ;)
    The dripping issue is a valid concern. If the Y connector was permanent, I can see an advantage to the single point of connection but looks like a pretty involved mod. I hope the learning curve for the T@B is as much fun as it was for my SS.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    Everything is as much fun as you make it, John....except a dripping black water pipe ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Honestly, when I have full hook ups, I leave the grey connected and open and then if needed, I switch the hose from the grey to black (takes about 20 seconds) and empty, then switch it back. It is really not difficult. The way to avoid drip is to hold the lid under the opening.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I guess practice will make perfect.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    If you're worried about a few drips, put a small bowl down to collect. Every dump station I've been at has a wash down hose so easily cleaned. I usually go inside while the hose is still connected and pour a half gallon of fresh water down the toilet to flush the connector end so the couple times I've had a drip it's been clear.
    One thing to watch out for is disconnecting the hose and laying it down in the ground - depending on the angle it might discharge whatever is lurking in the hose back at you - saw some poor slob do this. I always raise the hose high and make sure everything has run out before lowering and connecting to the gray valve.
  • Options
    I screwed it up the first time and then was fine after that.  It is a lot scarier before you do it than after the first time through.