Options

Gravel forest roads

sbhtennissbhtennis Member Posts: 67
a planning a trip to Walupt lake CG
its a long gravel road maybe 15 miles. It’s supposed to be in fairly good shape except the last 4 miles are washboardy and a couple potholes I have the T@B Max S 2016.  Do you think it will be ok. Any advice on securing things or minimizing a bumpy unhappy tow 

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    I've been on many long Forest Service roads that were reasonably well maintained.  At a "reasonable" speed I had no real issues.  Washboards were another story.....my "reasonable speed" was just too fast, and some things got bounced around inside the trailer that had not moved on the maintained roads.  My cabinet doors, etc, all held shut, so that wasn't an issue.  Kitchen things and food in the fridge moved around.
    Some have issues with dust entering the trailer.  Have a good look at wheel wells or the space around the outdoor shower ( if you have one). Under my fridge is a "vent" that sometimes takes in a little dust. 

Best advice? Go slow on the washboards.  Step out occasionally and have a look inside the trailer, since you might be going too fast!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited August 2020
    A regular aTaB should weather gravel,and graded dirt roads without any major issues.  Just go slow, at a reasonable speed for the conditions, if in doubt, go slow.
    Our standard TaB 400 spent quite some time on dirt/gravel roads in NorCal.  As a result, the under closet area and Alde compartment were full dust when we got it.  The right pax side compartments were clean!  Go figure.  We are having it converted to a Boondock, and the tech thinks the dust came in around the left wheel well, so he is removing both wheel wells and resealing the lot, along with checking the side/bottom seams.
    When done, we should be dust free whilst going down gravel and dirt roads, which we will be doing.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.