Options

2021 Tab 400 - Questions about shelf at foot of bed

rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
edited August 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Is there an outlet at the foot of the bed to plug something in besides the TV? Also how far does the TV swing out and is the shelf really all that useful? If anyone could share a pic it would be greatly appreciated.
2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited September 2020
    If you have the Inverter option, their is a 120 VAC Inverter outlet at the foot of the TaB400 2018-2020 models, the 2021 model moved this to the head of the bed.  
    The TV power  cable is hardwired, nor plot, except the plug on the TV the cable connects to.  On the 2018-2020 models with the inverter outlet at the foot of the bed, the same panel can be removed and a 12 VadC plug added.  

Under the bed in the Pax side  cargo hatch us a 120 VAC shore power outlet.  This is at but under the foot of the bed.  One could use this outlet add a 120 VAC shore power outlet to the panel at the foot of the bed the inverter outlet uses.

Here is a photo of the TV and the panel at the foot of the bed, this shot is of the foot of the bed area on a 2021 TaB 400.

The access panel under the bed, is the location of the Inverter outlet on the 2018- early 2020 models and is set at a 45-degree angle to the wall and galley cabinet.  Here it is as a blank panel, on the 2021 units, with the TV connections behind it.

The TV will swing out and be turned towards the dinette area quite easily for viewing from there.  Note the blank 45-degree panel,under the shelf at the foot of the bed, this is where the inverter outlet and control switch is located on earlier model of the 400.  

The shore power outlet on 2018/2019 models is below this panel under the bed, next to the batter cut off switch.  The 2021 model setup is shown above.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Denny16 - thank you for the info. It seems so odd that the television would be hard-wired but nuCamp must have their reasons.
    If anyone with a 2021 has experience getting access to where the television is plugged in on the current model Tab 400, please let me know. I would like to see if it is possible to tap into that and plug in (or hard wire) a small power strip to set on the shelf by the television.

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 473
    @Denny16 as an example of the variety of builds on our 400s, my under shelf angled panel HAS a regular 110 outlet installed (but no switch), so the first owner assumed there was an inverter (he never used it in the year he owned the unit). When I checked there was no inverter under the bed next to the battery box, and only the outlet at the end of bed, which is wired to the rest of the shore power outlets. That panel does come out pretty easily and makes for a easy mod when I do decide to put an inverter in place. There are likely others like my 2019 model.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    rhyno said:
    @Denny16 - thank you for the info. It seems so odd that the television would be hard-wired but nuCamp must have their reasons.
    If anyone with a 2021 has experience getting access to where the television is plugged in on the current model Tab 400, please let me know. I would like to see if it is possible to tap into that and plug in (or hard wire) a small power strip to set on the shelf by the television.

Typically, RV TVs are 12v, which is why they are hardwired. Unless there’s a 110v outlet near that space, the wiring you want to tap into may not exist on the 2021.

If you are ordering rather than buying off the lot, ask if nuCamp can put a 110v outlet there. I’m not sure if that falls within allowable customization nowadays, but you can always ask.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited August 2020
     @rhyno, Victoria is spot on, the Jesnsen TV is 12VDC, not 110/120VAC.  The access panel is shown in the photo I posted, as this is a 2021 model.  Not sure how they are rooting the AC circuits in the 2021 model, so you may or may not have a 120VAC cable behind this panel.  You could pull an add wire from the Galley wall outlet, or the outside 120VAC outlet, they are tied together.  Access is tricky but doable.  Here is the outside outlet revealed with the Galley cabinet back pulled out:

The box in the wall is the 120VAC outlet box, note the wire going up to the counter outlet, power comes in from the front dinette area outlet.  So you could connect a wire here and route it under the cabinet between the water pipes, then pull it up into the area behind the panel at the foot of the bed.  Some dismantling is required. 
    Cheers
  • Options
    Thanks @qhumberd, good to know nüCamp added a Shore power outlet when the Inverter option was not installed.  There are quite a few factory variations, and customer requested mods, you see on used units.  For example, our 2018  TaB400 came without the washroom sink unit, which works for us.
  • Options
    @Denny16 - Thank you for setting me straight... I totally missed that the television was a 12 volt. I will take a look at tying in the AC power where you suggested and maybe run a 12 volt outlet for good measure. 
  • Options
    A 12VDC outlet could be connected to the wires feeding the TV, easy to do.
    the 110/120VAC line will be a little more challenging in a 2021 build.
    cheers
  • Options
    85Redwood85Redwood Member Posts: 52
    @rhyno, why not take the simple route and get a power strip with about a 5' cord that can plug in to the kitchen AC outlet to the left of the sink?  The cord may even fit under the small plexiglass partition just left of the TV.
    2021 T@B 400: boondock, 3-way fridge, microwave, solar
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 L
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,031
    Yes we just run a short extension cord from the bedside cubby over to the shelf at the foot of the bed.  It tucks away nice.  We then turn on the inverter and use if for a coffee pot or computer.  Simple and easy. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    +1 for an extension cord/power strip from the kitchen outlet to the shelf.
    I just installed this one which has two outlets, two usb A ports and a usb C port with PD for fast charging my Pixel phone.
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLBZFDH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Had to remove two screws from the bracket that holds the kitchen pexiglass divider in order to slip it under, but that took about 1 minute.
    Oh, and because NuCamp installs the electrical outlets upside down (to my way of thinking), I had to flip the kitchen outlet so the ground pin is oriented down, not up, due to the angle of the cord on the power strip's plug. Just made for a neater install.

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller