Options

Tab 400 mod - add storage above bed?

Has anyone tried adding storage above the bed on the driver's side? It looks like a good place for a little cabinet, cubby or shelving but I am not finding any examples online. 
2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes it would, you could use the panel the accent lights are on both sides of to support a shelf or open front cabinet.  The EU model has done just that, and has a cabinet instead of the light panel:

You can see the bottom of this cabinet at the top left corner in the shot above.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    That's a really good idea - I'm intersted in this also. How hard would it be to move the  air conditioning duct? It would probably need to go toward the center about a foot. the cabinet/shelf could be put above the speaker. I had warranty work done on the padding over the TV (button popped out) and am not sure how one woud go about securing anything to the walls or the back sloping part by the Star Gazer window.
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited September 2020
    To add a shelf on either side of the Star Gazer window, you would need to find the aluminum frame in the back sloping area.  A stud finder would do the trick.  Then attach braces to the frame.

I have thought about doing the shelf over the end of the bed.  The A/C duct could be pulled in and routed out the bottom of the shelf.  The speaker could go above the A/C duct, mounted to the front left edge of the shelf, To close off the box, recessed in a bit to hide it.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
    Denny16 said:
    To add a shelf on either side of the Star Gazer window, yiumwould need to fine the aluminum frame in the back sloping area.  A stud finder would do the trick.

I have thought about doing the shelf over the end of the bed.  The A/C duct could be pulled in and routed out the bottom of the shelf.  The speaker could go above the A/C duct, mounted to the front left edge of the shelf, To close off the box, recessed in a bit to hide it.
    cheers

@Denny16 that would be a great idea.  That would solve numerous issues.  
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite