Options

Trip Planning - Denver to Sugarcreek Late September 2020

jpi68jpi68 Member Posts: 80
Hi everybody, I am sitting down to plan our trip back to Sugarcreek where we have an appointment to get our factory solar installed, My criteria for the trip is to avoid all major cities, try to stay on scenic byways (two lane if possible). We will be traveling through Eastern Colorado, Kansas, Southern Missouri, Tip of Southern Illinois, Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky, South central Ohio. If anyone has traveled through some of these states/areas and has specific highways that they can recommend it would be helpful. On our way out we are headed to Sugarcreek, on the way home we will need to dip down into northern Tennessee for an appointment with our second opinion Doc at Tennessee Oncology, Nashville (Sarah Canon Cancer Institute). Therefore suggested routes are welcome. I will issue a full report on our final route when we get back in October..  

Comments

• Options
    nmdreamnmdream Member Posts: 27
    Old 40 through Kansas used to be a LONG peaceful drive, Ohio - try SR 21 down and out  ( and don't forget Heini's Cheese when you get to Sugarcreek) I grew up in the area north of there. WV going south is tricky ALL Interstate going south unless you really add drive time ( Old 19 or 21 ) lots of twists and turns and Hills and "Holler's" but beautiful . Good Sam has a pretty nice road trip planner - I am heading to S California for last wishes on my brother in a few days. The planner has been essential for me.  Travelled a lot of roads over the years , always preferred off the beaten path.  Amis Mill Eatery is a wonderful little place to eat ( worth the drive)  in Rogersville TN. I go back and forth from the south to Ohio a few times a year.
    I am truly sorry to see the reason for the trip , blessing and hopes and prayers for a positive journey.
    I will gladly assist if possible.
    2020 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate 181 HP w/Hayden 678 Rapid Cool
    2019 T@B 320 S 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    There are a couple of options that could be interesting if you would consider a more northern route. You could pick up the Lincoln Highway (US 30) all of the way from NE to OH. US 6 is also another route. If you like history, they could be interesting.

I make the trip from OH to Denver, often, and have found the southern route (along I 70) to be less preferable. There are fewer places where free overnight parking is available and mostly more expensive camping along the way. There are some less expensive and even free camping options along the northern route.

I found the old route 66 sections not very interesting in then ountry's midsection a d can't recommend it.

I did find a nice COE campground in Manhattan Kansas.

In Sugarcreek, Amish Country Donuts must be sampled and Bahler Street Pizza is awesome. Wallhouse Coffee, in a small plaza by the McDonald's near the factory is very good.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    US 20 is great through NE and Iowa.  

US 60 may be too far south for you, but it is one of the most scenic of all routes from Northern Arizona to Southern Indiana.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Verna, it looks interesting.... I’m going to investigate a route takes us onto 60 probably in Oklahoma thru Southern Kansas and then on up to Indiana, where we could  pop over to Ohio.... we are trying to minimize traveling through any large cities. Let’s see what I can do. We were in Columbus Indiana just over a year ago, we were considering moving there from Colorado. The Denver area is just getting too crowded. However, I don’t know if I could live with the humidity in Indiana, having lived in Colorado for the past 40 years. Originally from South Bend Indiana.
  • Options
    @jpi68, I’ve lived in Indiana for all but 3 years of my life and I’m as used to the humidity as I’ll ever get!  I’m new to the Columbus area, and it is a lot slower pace than Indianapolis.  It’s so nice out here in the country. 

I have found a route from South Central Indiana to Sugarcreek that is a lot less stressful. Make your way over to I-71 on the northern suburbs of Cincinnati. Indiana 46 will take you through Columbus, Indiana to I-74 and then follow your map or GPS around Cincinnati. Take I-71 to Columbus, Ohio, to I-270 and then finally to some 2 lane state roads into Sugarcreek. 

This is a much less hectic route than hopping on I-70 from Indianapolis. It saves me about 50 miles, also. And saves a lot of super busy cities. 

You could also go to the east side of Columbus, Ohio to I-75, get off at the State Rd 39 and go west to Sugarcreek. I-75 seems to be a lesser traveled interstate than I-70, too. But this route depends on whether you really want to go through Columbus, Ohio. 30 minutes of stress to totally enjoying the last two legs of your trip,
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, I’ve taken your advice, we’re taking The southern route. Our first night out from Denver will be in Dodge city Kansas, and then we drop down into Oklahoma and pick up route 60. Head over through Missouri to Sikeston Missouri, and then up for a night at a Cracker Barrel in Seymour Indiana. From Seymour over to Sugarcreek. On the way home we’re going to take the more northern route. Through Cape Girardeau, and 36 across Kansas back to Colorado. At least that’s the plan for now. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    You have picked one of my favorite routes!  Good luck and safe travels!  
    Verna, Columbus, IN