Options

Trip Planning Fall 2020 - Washington, DC to Salida, CO

ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
edited September 2020 in Camping & Travel
I'm thinking of making this solo trip to see daughter this fall and...HELP!  I haven't gone anywhere at all this year with my T@B and only 2 places last summer so I still consider myself a newbie.  Will be going with the dog and just trying to figure out the best route, much less campgrounds, is putting me into overload.  Am I crazy to do this?  Is there a simple planning tool to use to get me there and back.  I've never driven in a car this far, much less with a trailer.  Any ideas, tips, words of encouragement or "get real, not a good idea" advice appreciated!
Aggie/ 2021T@B320S; Alde Compact 3020 HE/ 2021 Subaru Ascent
Rockville, MD (a D.C. suburb)

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2020
    @ZippyA ; Great idea, and sorry the Canadian border will probably be closed well into 2021.

You could get a hundred T@B owners lined up from the coast to mid-Colorado, and do mooch camping.  Each owner would offer you a driveway plugin and some water to top off your tank.  You'd just have to find the free to $10 dump stations along the way to dump your tanks every week.  For that there's Campendium, RVDumpSites, and plenty of other apps for Android and IOS.  It'd be an interesting way to meet (with masks on, and 10' apart) other T@bbers.

Or you could take a longer route and try to connect a half dozen national parks or state parks along the way.  Most are open for camping and now that September is here, they have plenty of openings.

Perfect timing though to see the start of the fall colors.  Take your time.  Don't do more than 300 miles a day.  Consider spending 2-3 days at each stopover.

P.S. I like:
    • Compendium
    • ParkAdvisor
    • UltimateCampgrounds
    • RoadTrippers
    • RVDumpSites
    ...and keep an eye on travel restrictions with...

https://gds.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2ec42826968d4d0980ccca0fbbfe0c7c&sf122295430=1
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    @ZippyA, When we are trying to 'make tracks' to Colorado from southeast Virginia we take I-64 to I-70. You, of course, would get to I-70 by a different route. I-70 is an easy pull, takes you straight to Colorado and you are always near services, etc. Not saying it is the most adventuresome route, but is an easy path to follow. 

Most importantly, you can do this!

Everyone has a first big trip. Soon enough you'll be at your destination wondering 'where to next'...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    edited September 2020
    Salida is at almost 8000 feet, so you should look closely at the weather forecasts for freezing temps, even in the fall. Think about the possibility of having to winterize.  Holiday RV is in Poncha Springs, a "suburb" of Salida (lol) and they used to sell Tabs.  (Not sure if they still do).  Check with them if they will winterize your trailer.
    Look closely at the route as you hit the Rockies near Denver.  Do not try to drive the roads from the north of Salida off of I-70.  Co-9 and US 24 are slow mountain roads.  Out of Denver, US-285 is an easier drive, still some mountain passes to drive, but wide and smooth.  And, very beautiful.  A longer route, but a little easier, would be Denver south on I-25 to Colorado Springs, to CO 115, then US 50 to Salida. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    Across the Midwest, think corn and soybeans and lots of it.  Then you will enjoy the flat wheat fields of Kansas and Eastern Colorado.  No wonder the Rockies are so beautiful!
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    Thanks @DougH.  I was supposed to get to Mammoth Caves in KY and the Sand Dunes in IN last year but didn't make it so maybe if I make the trek I could stop there.  I'm trying to get to as many national parks as possible.  The only one I haven't been to in CO is Mesa Verde.  Thanks for the app recommendations!
  • Options
    Thanks @pthomas745.  I have driven in the Denver and Salida area and DEFINITELY do not do well on the 2-lane, winding mountain roads in a car and would be white knuckling it if I had to do it with a trailer!  I will see if the Poncha Spring RV place is open.  If I leave the end of September or beginning of October, is it too early for me to get my T@B winterized here before I leave??  

• Options

Thanks @CrabTab!  I've driven on 70 and trying to remember if it ever turns into just 2 lanes of winding roads?  Do I sound nervous about that???  Yup.  
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    ZippyA said:
     If I leave the end of September or beginning of October, is it too early for me to get my T@B winterized here before I leave??  

I wouldn’t; instead, I’d carry what I needed to winterize on the road only if necessary. Winterizing is a very short job when done correctly, and why inconvenience yourself by doing without water and your tanks if you don’t actually need to?

Most people traveling long distances during the fall carry what they need and can winterize or dewinterize several times as the weather changes. It’s an easy task with a small portable compressor such as the Viair 70p (which can also fill your tires) the right adapter, and a jug of RV antifreeze for the drain traps under your sink and shower.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW