Options

Towing Vehicle comfort

2»

Comments

• Options
    FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2020
    I tow my T@B with a 2011 Subaru Outback with the 3.6(six cylinder) engine and a transmission cooler I had installed. It does not have the CVT transmission. I live in Denver, so I take my T@b into the Rockies obviously. The Outback would be perfect for flat areas with gentle rolling hills, but for out West it is too scrawny, even for the T@B. I do save money by not driving a truck(not on gas). I must take it slow up the big passes and I have an off-market monitoring device to keep an eye on the car vitals, especially the engine temp. During July and August it will heat up pretty quickly, if I am going over 50 mph on I70 or 287 - on the passes. Recently, my wife an I took two weeks up in MT. The car did what it was supposed to. The cooler weather was perfect for it, but the car really didn't have the horses for such a long trip with so many miles. Going up from Denver through WY on those grueling, drawn out hills was a real slog - guzzled gas so quickly I almost ran out once! It's nice to think an Outback can pull these lighter campers easily, but it just ain't so. They aren't made for it. I was going to buy a Tacoma but after reading these posts, I think I will get a Tundra for comfort. Now don't get me wrong - the Outback has performed as advertised. I have camped all over CO with very few problems other than having to go slowly at certain times and pull over to let the engine cool rarely. It is a super reliable vehicle and I enjoy driving it. For Highway travel these days in the West pulling a camper, it is barely adequate. Backroads = very nice. The truth is that , I would rather go slow than fork out $40k for a truck right now..:)
    2019 Tacoma Off Road
    2014 T@B S Wet Bath Max Plus

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited September 2020
    If you don't mind waiting a while, this vehicle will be available:
    Reported to have sports car level road performance, excellent off-road manners, gets great mileage with low maintenance costs, can tow over 10,000 lbs and is priced about the same as a higher-end 1/2 ton pickup. Can't vouch for comfort but it is likely to be (nearly) fully self-driving by the time you can take delivery. A very modest deposit saves you a place in line . . .

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
    I'll pass on that Tesla until it has been severely vetted.  :s  
    2019 Tacoma Off Road
    2014 T@B S Wet Bath Max Plus

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    One in the the hand is better than two in the bush.... 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.