YACT (Yet Another Caulking Thread) - 2004 T@B Caulk is everywhere

Now that we've had the T@B about a year and put over 7K miles on her, I'm starting down the maintenance and mod trails.

I have a question on caulking.  I've searched the forums and found a lot of great help and a lot of the recommended maintenance and caulk guides. (Thanks.)

My question is about what caulk is really needed other than the nuCamp maintenance suggestion?  On our T@B, there is caulk on every exterior seam and anything that looks like a seam.  This includes along the all the black molding, where the keeder rails meet the sides, over the wheel fenders, etc etc.  Since T@B is a 2004 and no noticeable water damage, I'm thinking all this caulk is doing a great job.  But...it also looks like it's been there forever (bugs and all), and most of it will rub off with friction from my thumb.

I'd like some thoughts and feed back on reworking this.  I'm thinking I should remove all the existing caulk and recaulk/seal with the DM 4200 sealant.  I think the current caulk is silicone as its clear with dirt shading.  I can only find the DM 4200 in black or white, so I'd have to go with white.  But, putting a white bead everywhere there is a current line would (I think) detract from the clean lines I'm hoping to get back after removing the ancient dirty caulk.

Thoughts and feed back welcome.

Thanks,
Sheryl

2004 T@B 300, 2016 Ford F150 4x4

Comments