Options

Portable Waste Totes

I'd be interested in the pros and cons of the various portable waste totes that are available. I would imagine a 4 wheel model would be better that a 2 wheel model, but they cost about $100 more for the same capacity. Also, I imagine that I'd want one with a larger capacity than my grey water tank. From what I've seen on line, I kind of like the Tote-N-Store models. Thank you, in advance, for your comments.
2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I've been looking at the 15 gallon Tote-N-Store, for under $100 on Amazon. It's a two wheel model, but I figure I would have trouble handling the next size of 25 gallons. It still has a handle to tow it to the dump station. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BryanRBryanR Member Posts: 32
    I have an 18 gallon Thetford 4 wheel tote. It is extremely well made and has the builtin sewer hose. It is large and expensive but we have utilized on almost all of our  trips. If the the dump station or gray water dump is not within walking distance then be prepared for some heavy lifting to get it in the tow vehicle (full of water it is over 150 lbs). If you go with a larger tote I would recommend the 4 wheel option.
    Bryan & Vicki 2014 T@B CS-S MaXX ** 2016 Chevy Silverado Double Cab
    Transplanted Hoosier in Richmond, VA
    Go Colts!

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Personally, I'd go with a small 5 gallon.  Bigger ones are difficult to store, and I find five gallons to be plenty for my needs for a day or two, and I rarely stay in one place longer than that.  It's very easy to transport to dump.

If I were going to get a larger one, I'd get this one:

http://www.adventurerv.net/barker-folding-tent-camper-totealong-gallon-p-414.html
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Yeah. Not needed IMHO
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    For weekenders, only, not needed. Fir those who will be at a site for an extended length, it is either pack up and take the T@b to the dump station or use some type of portable tank. I tend to agree about the 5 gallon size.  A five gallon water container is not light and I am not always at CGs with dump stations.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I thought I needed a tote but we hardly ever stay in a park that doesn't either have a dump station or sewer hookup.  Initially I searched for one but on seeing the cost for a new one, began looking on craigslist.  I found several but never bought.  If you need one that might work for you.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I was considering one, then I realized it would do me almost no good camping in sites without hookups and with no dump station.  By that I mean, I did not want to start putting a full tote in my TV.  
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Actually, the T@B has a separate tank for black water and it takes quite a while before it needs drained.  It's the grey water that fills up more quickly-but still, we go 3-4 days before we have to drain the grey tank but there are only two of us.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

The one I've been looking at has a handle that you can hook over your ball on the hitch to take it slowly to the dump station.  That is the only way I could handle one.  I certainly could not lift 15 gallons of gray water into the back of the pickup truck!

I think it would help at campgrounds like Atwood Lake where Tearstock will be held, so I don't have to disconnect everything to go to the dump station. Also, the State Parks in Indiana typically don't have sewer connections, so for a long weekend of camping, it would be nice to not have to worry about unhooking everything just to dump the gray water.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”