Security of camper while hitched and not directly supervised

Good afternoon folks.  We have just ordered a 400 and besides our insurance want to get your take on security between tow vehicle and camper trailer.  Thanks.  

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    They can break into the TV and get 2 for the price of 1.  Put your stabilizers down and wheel lock on - anything to make it more difficult.  My father had a dump truck and tractor on a trailer stolen like that.  Recovered before it got dumped into a quarry.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    You can also get a lock that locks the hitch to the receiver.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    At the extreme end, you can get 12V networked surveillance cameras (that double as wildlife cameras) for the roof.

The one I have does 360 degree rotation, is pan tilt zoom 5MP 30X.  Sees at night to 450 feet with focusing IR lamps.  It can identify humans, and will automatically track them, while recording to SD or to the cloud.  Uses WiFi or direct wiring to an NVR.  So you can control the camera from anywhere in the world. Doesn't use much electricity if you have solar.

It also uses an open protocol, so you can feed the camera attitude during tracking events to a separate inexpensive pan tilt table or two that support whatever you wish to put on it.  But fully implementing that, while inexpensive, is not legal in all jurisdictions.  Even if only defending the camper from rodents. Better yet, you can just trigger an audio alarm.

The 5-10X zoom ones with all the same auto tracking features are half this size.

And they do double as good game cameras for elk, deer, or whatever triggers the configurable motion alarm.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    The folks at Technomadia via camera, caught someone in the act of burglarizing their boat!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Mariah400Mariah400 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks much fellow adventurers.  
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    Tesla's have video cameras embedded to one day facilitate full self-driving; until then, you'll have to be satisfied with footage via Sentry Mode. The system activates the cameras when something suspicious is sensed and the Tesla Cam video allows you to keep a remote eye on things. It's helped foil or find thieves on several occasions and in some cases, the video even captured a nearby vehicle being broken into or stolen and was used to help find the culprit.

The Model Y can tow 3,500 lbs; the coming CyberTruck will be able to handle 10,000+ lbs in dual-motor trim. Full disclosure: I have a pre-order in for an AWD CT and the wait (2022 delivery? 2023?) is killing me.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We have stopped at the occasional hotel for overnighting when we're heading to a distant destination and the camper is to full to overnight in it. We just try and park in a place where it wouldn't be easy to pull the trailer out from behind the truck. It is locked to the tow vehicle. We have had no issues, except for a missing license plate one time. But not really sure if it was taken or fell off. (This was the old style plastic tabs under the brake light). We have since replaced it with a standard bolt in license plate bracket.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2020
    I am going to get one of these. About $350 and supposedly impossible to get off the trailer. I spoke with the owner for 1/2 hour and he convinced me. I was in the wilds of MT with my wife this year and I can't imagine coming back to an empty camper space. The $350 is worth the piece of mind. Right now I use a pin lock, a gorilla guard coupler lock, and two trimax wheel chock locks. All of these can be defeated fairly quickly by a dedicated thief with a grinder, crowbar, and a chain. A thief can also take off the trailer coupler by merely removing the bolts, unless you have them welded. This is a worry, if you are parked in a hotel parking lot overnight with the vehicle unattended. It sounds fantastic to have to reason through all of this, but these campers are expensive and highly coveted. A clever(relative term - anyone who can watch Youtube) thief has seen all of these semi-effective Amazon locks and has a plan for them.

https://brahmalock.com

I will add that I have a solar panel that I lock to the camper with a heavy duty cable and padlock. 4 years of using the T@B and I have never had anything stolen. Take the precautions you can, have insurance, then don't worry about it. 

2019 Tacoma Off Road
    2014 T@B S Wet Bath Max Plus

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    I wonder how quick a skilled thief could pick the Brahma, or with a 50V portable cutoff wheel get it off noisily in two minutes.  Those things go through hardened steel like butter.  Having several obstacles to drive the naer-do-wells to an easier target like you have always seems like the best approach.

I have one Trimax and coupler lock now and am also looking at the Brahmalock.  It just seems to send a stronger message with visual appearance alone saying, "Don't bother."
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• FinchyFinchy Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2020
    @DougH , The lock is in an awkward location so nearly impossible to pick. I feel most RV thieves are not into picking locks regardless. The owner told me you can't cut it off with a grinder. He said the only close-to successful theft happened with a trailer that was in a completely abandoned location for a long time. They gave up, but I believe the lock was slightly bent and the RV have been jerked around the yard. Give the owner a call. He'll talk your ear off. :)

And thank you for the camera info.
    2019 Tacoma Off Road
    2014 T@B S Wet Bath Max Plus

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    -Mark Twain