Options

I hope I didn’t make a mistake !!!!

HaroloHarolo Member Posts: 30
Last July I bought a 2021Tab 400 BDL and drove about 1500 miles with my Tacoma 2020 Off-road ...I’m planning to drive from NH to CA in few weeks ....it’s a long trip and I’ve decided to installed a WDH ..so today,I bought on line a WHD Fastway e2 round bars 800 ( 8,000)....want to make sure I didn’t make a mistake choosing 800 instead of 6,000 (600) I will order Plate Bal /norco for C-Channel ....
Please, let me know if I should cancelled the order and go with the 600.
Thanks,my head is spinning 👍😱🇺🇸🇨🇦
Harold
2021 Tab 400 BDL 
2020 Tacoma offroad 

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    @Harolo, Did you have any issues towing it the previous 1500 miles?  If not, I would not get a WDH for a trailer that weighs less than my TV.  You truck is rusted for 6-7K towing weight, which gives you 600-700 lbs on the tongue.  Your Tacoma als weighs in at 4200-4500 lbs, compared to the TaB 400 being 3500 lbs maz,(rating of the axle).

A WDH takes all the weight on the the trailer axle  and the weight on the TV axles, and distributes it equally across all three axles.  So with the Tacoma Off Road, you are shifting some of the truck weight to the TaB, which is a bad idea.  A WHD is good when the trailer weight is equal to or greater than than the TV, and you want to distribute some of the trailer weight to both Axles on the TV, instead of it all being on the rear axle.  Also the WHD places added strain on the front of the trailer frame where is connects to the trailer.  A heavy vehicle on a light trailer could result in frame damage down the road, or not, depending on the frame in question.

Your towing capacity is 1.5 to 2X the weight of the TaB, so I do not think you are going to benefit from a WDH.  If you are having sway issues, than an anti-sway bar is a better option.  I would also contact nüCamp customer wrvice before using a WDH, and get their recommendation.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HaroloHarolo Member Posts: 30
    Thanks  Denny for good advice !