Options

Alde touch screen not working

blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
I've already replaced both fuses in the Alde itself. Any other suggestions about what to check?

The touch screen doesn't work both on 12v and 110v power.

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited September 2020
    Just make sure the Alde is plugged in under the bench - although it may be a 12v issue.
    Check/change the fuse for the Alde circuit in the converter box.  If it is ok (I would just change it anyway), and still no go try this:
    If all your other 12v lights and appliances work, just turn the battery switch off - wait a few minutes, then turn it back on.  After a few minutes, try turning on the Alde. 
    If that does not work, remove the 12v wire located between the Alde 2 green fuse holders.  Then after a few minutes reinsert it.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    So I've got 12v to the unit itself and 5v out to the touch screen but the screen isn't lighting up at all. That to me seems to indicate that the screen is bad... Thoughts?
  • Options
    Did you remove then reinsert the 12v Alde cable?
  • Options
    Yes, removed the cable, waited 20 minutes plugged it back in. Also removed all power to the ALDE, waited 20 minutes. I've unplugged and plugged in both ends of the touch screen cable.
  • Options
    This is from the Alde 3020 manual for a control panel failure:  

Panel failure: Moisture is trapped in the control panel. Remove the Alde control panel from the vehicle and air it in a warm, dry place overnight.

And:

NOTICE
    Do not clamp or bind 12V cables or sensor cables together with 120V cables. It is preferable not to place the cables close to each other. If the cables are bundled, the risk of shutdown increases.

It sounds like you have done all the usual things.  Is it possible there is a link or short in the wire to the control panel?

• Options
    I Found this:  A way to check the control panel is to “unplug the white DC power plug (between the two green fuses), then watch the control panel screen as you plug it back in.  If the screen briefly flashes from black to white, the screen is getting power, but the board in the panel is bad. 
  • Options
    I Found this:  A way to check the control panel is to “unplug the white DC power plug (between the two green fuses), then watch the control panel screen as you plug it back in.  If the screen briefly flashes from black to white, the screen is getting power, but the board in the panel is bad. 
    Just ran out there and tested it and that's exactly what happened... Screen flashed and then nothing. So must be a bad board in the touch screen.
  • Options
    Sure sounds like it.  Maybe that would be an easy thing to change out.  Is yours still under warranty?
  • Options
    Sure sounds like it.  Maybe that would be an easy thing to change out.  Is yours still under warranty?
    I don't think so. It's  2018. I'll call my dealer today and see if he can just ship me a new screen.
  • Options
    Just as an update, bought a new touch screen ($300!!!) and it works now. 
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    edited October 2020
    A touch screen should literally last forever....
    So do you have any idea why the unit failed? Was there an event that might have damaged it? 
    Properly designed modern electronics should stand up to ambient voltage surges and certainly drops and live for years.
    All of the plugging in, waiting 20 minutes, changing fuses etc. etc. suggests a marginal design.
    Do you use a surge protector?
    Does anyone return failed electronics to nuCamp for failure analysis?
    There seem to be a significant number of Alde problems reported and troubleshot on this forum and seemingly an acceptance that this is normal. It's not.
    What is really great about the forum is that folks share their troubleshooting experience and knowledge but without field returns and failure analyses the Aldi design robustness will not improve. 
  • Options
    tabiphile said:

There seem to be a significant number of Alde problems reported and troubleshot on this forum and seemingly an acceptance that this is normal. It's not.

Agree, IMHO these ALDE units are not very good quality.