Options

Do I need an electronic brake controller?

LizAnnLizAnn Member Posts: 9
I just purchased a used 2018 Tab 320 s Boondock and towed it 400 miles home with a 2017 Ford Escape.  We did great!  Do I need to purchase an electronic brake controller or does the trailer "sense" when I apply the brakes on my tow vehicle?

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited October 2020
    You need a brake controller, the Escape does not have one built in. It is illegal in many states to tow a trailer the size of a 320 without using a controller. Not using one likely violates any warranty remaining on your car for conditions that may develop while towing (most cars of that size require use of a brake controller over 1000 pounds), and lack of one can be cause for your insurance to waive any claims in an accident. In other words, get it done immediately.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    LizAnnLizAnn Member Posts: 9
    Victoria - thank you for clarifying!  This information is very helpful.   
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    And in addition it is very dangerous 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    No problem!

You have lots of options. The Escape comes standard with a 4 pin wiring plug, I believe, so I’m guessing you used an adapter for the 7 pin? If so, you’ll need to have some additional wiring run and a proper 7 pin connector installed. Beyond that, you can have your controller hard wired in the car, or go with a “wireless” model (kind of a misnomer, they still require wiring of one form or another, but no hard wired controller inside the car) like the Tekonsha Prodigy RF or the Curt Echo bluetooth.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Beyond the safety, legal & liability concerns, stopping the trailer without using the trailer brakes will tax your TV’brakes to the point of warping the front rotors. FYI.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited October 2020
    I'm in the process of adding a brake controller and upgrading my towing harness from 4 to 7 pole (my Boondock is not going to be delivered until early in the new year.) The harness is an easy change - there are any number of adapters and the only new connections needed are a 12v supply, a ground and a connection to the brake controller.
    With respect to a brake controller, the easiest fix is a wireless unit, with something like the Curt Echo BT mentioned in some replies being essentially a "plug and play" addition. The drawback to the Echo is that it works through your cell phone, which could create problems accessing manual braking for the trailer in an emergency. Other wireless units such as the Prodigy that was also mentioned offer more direct input in an emergency, but require that you stow the manual control unit somewhere in the car's cockpit.
    I'm strongly leaning toward a wired controller, and specifically the Redarc Elite/Liberty. It requires some some wiring - power and ground for example, along with a connection to the brake switch line. That does not seem too daunting however and is really not much more complicated than installing the Prodigy. The big advantage is that the system uses a small control knob that can easily be mounted on the dash, with the main control unit secured elsewhere in the car. Most of the user reviews for the system have also been positive.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Certainly are options, and that's a good thing. The Tekonsha RF Prodigy is what I settled on. It doesn't use bluetooth thru the phone but rather a handheld device plugs into 12V lighter port) and pairs easily wirelessly. 

Another feature I like is that if I decide to change TV's I don't have to do anything. Just plug the handheld into the new TV and you're off. 

A 15yr warranty on the module is a good thing as well. 

Do your homework and you're sure to settle on what works best for you. 

Cheers,

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
  • Options
    AirBoss said:
    Certainly are options, and that's a good thing. The Tekonsha RF Prodigy is what I settled on. It doesn't use bluetooth thru the phone but rather a handheld device plugs into 12V lighter port) and pairs easily wirelessly. 

Another feature I like is that if I decide to change TV's I don't have to do anything. Just plug the handheld into the new TV and you're off. 

A 15yr warranty on the module is a good thing as well. 

Do your homework and you're sure to settle on what works best for you. 

Cheers,

Agreed. I prefer both not having a permanent install, and still having a handheld manual controller when needed. The Echo is a neat concept, but I feel more comfortable personally with the Prodigy RF.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    CharlieRN said:
    I'm in the process of adding a brake controller and upgrading my towing harness from 4 to 7 pole (my Boondock is not going to be delivered until early in the new year.) The harness is an easy change - there are any number of adapters and the only new connections needed are a 12v supply, a ground and a connection to the brake controller.
    With respect to a brake controller, the easiest fix is a wireless unit, with something like the Curt Echo BT mentioned in some replies being essentially a "plug and play" addition. The drawback to the Echo is that it works through your cell phone, which could create problems accessing manual braking for the trailer in an emergency. Other wireless units such as the Prodigy that was also mentioned offer more direct input in an emergency, but require that you stow the manual control unit somewhere in the car's cockpit.
    I'm strongly leaning toward a wired controller, and specifically the Redarc Elite/Liberty. It requires some some wiring - power and ground for example, along with a connection to the brake switch line. That does not seem too daunting however and is really not much more complicated than installing the Prodigy. The big advantage is that the system uses a small control knob that can easily be mounted on the dash, with the main control unit secured elsewhere in the car. Most of the user reviews for the system have also been positive.

When I started pulling a trailer Bluetooth & WIFI hadn’t been invented. I know where the emergency trailer brake button is WHEN I need it. I’d be afraid of a corded dongle not being where it always is in a panic situation (trailer sway between a tractor trailer & a jersey wall, for example)
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    hamrxhamrx Member Posts: 16
    yes you need a controller to stop your self safely.  Especially in rain and down a 5% grade to avoid use of a runoff ramp
    Former 5th wheel and now T@B 320s owner. Amateur Radio Operator. Pulled by 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4 x 4