Options

T@B 400 USB outlet

This discussion was created from comments split from: USB phone Charger.

Comments

• Options
    GiotaGiota Member Posts: 57
    In my TAB 400 2021, you can easily make those two USB plugs function by turning on the inverter. Mine work perfectly when I do that. I thought that design was intentional.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    If you are referring to the combo USB/AC outlet by the bed on the new TaB400, yes, this is an Inverter On only connection, and the USB ports are powered from the AC outlet, like you would find in a home.  It would have been nice to have has two outlets here, one inverter and one direct to the shore AC circuit, and the USB feed from 12VDC side, so you have options of using them without having to turn on the inverter.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited October 2020
    Giota said:
    In my TAB 400 2021, you can easily make those two USB plugs function by turning on the inverter. Mine work perfectly when I do that. I thought that design was intentional.
    For the 2021 model, the bedroom AC (and USB) outlets also functions when on Shore Power, without the Inverter.
    That's a change from prior years, where the inverter had to be on, even when on Shore Power.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    That was a good change, thanks Chris.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    I actually just had to address this in my 2018 400. The USB by the bed and under the dinette both work on battery without shore power. The one in the bed cubby died so I replaced it with a 3 port USB and am in the process of moving the one under the dinette to the sidewall by the dometic for convenience. 
    2018 T@B 400
    2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
  • Options
    dvgibsondvgibson Member Posts: 33
    Jax0913, can you give us more details? I have a 2018 400 and the USB socket on the one by the bed broke, I am trying to figure out how to get the cover off, without breaking it, and then what to get to replace it. Photos?
    T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5
  • Options
    Jax0913Jax0913 Member Posts: 64
    @dvgibson absolutely! So I used a utility knife very gently to get between the silver cover and the wood, anything really thin would work and slowly popped it around the edges until I could grab it. Then I unscrewed both the outlet and the USB so I could see the wiring I realized the outlet was 110v but the USB was battery and should be working. I bought two different replacements. Both are bigger then the black trim for the round outlet. I used a forstner bit on my drill press to widen the hole since the USB’s I bought were 1-1/8” in diameter rather then 1”. Here is what I bought: 12V USB Aluminum Car Charger... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QR9CRK4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

i just spliced into the black and red and used wire nuts and tape since I didn’t have crimps. I also added a USB to the front dinette next to the domestic vent since we like having the table down and the USB outlet there is useless.
    2018 T@B 400
    2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab