Heating and cooling power source?

I am trying to understand how the various systems are powered when hookups are available and when boondocking or camping without typical campground conveniences.

I understand the cooking is propane.  Case closed.  I don't plan to order a microwave as we have never had one.  Shocking I know.

It seems the refrigerator depends on the style:
2 way 12v or 110. The 12v power being stored in the batteries and generally supplied by solar unless plugged into shore power or a generator, at which point the batteries are charged by the Victron controller I assume?

3 way refrigerator runs on 12v,110, or propane.

Surprisingly at least to me it seems that the 12v is a better choice for off grid use.  I assumed the ability of the 3 way to operate on propane,12v. or 110 was more versatile but it seems I am mistaken.

I am unclear on the heating and air-condition power sources?
Also the manner in which the water is heated? Hot water heater?
Can anyone educate us on these systems?

I am working towards purchasing a 400 boondock edition that we would like to be able to use outside of campgrounds on occasion and want to make sure we make the right choice.  Being self sufficient is important to us and I hope will open up the opportunity to stay in unique and peaceful locations.

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The two way fridges are a compressor type and are very efficient. The three ways may be better off grid on propane but use a tremendous amount of battery on 12v, look up gas absorbsotion fridge to learn how they work which is nothing like the two ways or your home fridge.

Air conditioning works on 120v only, so a plug in or generator only.

Heat and hot water are using an Alde hot water boiler system. The heat source can be 120v if you have that or propane. On propane, you still need some battery power for the controls, combustion fan and circulation pump, but it is a very stingy user of battery power.

I personally have a 400 with a two way fridge and solar from the factory. So far great combo and solar keeps up, so as long as sun is out even partially, I think it is almost an unlimited run time. Three way fridge on propane will run quite a while too.

Keep in mind there are compromises, especially in a small unit like the 400. Three way fridge you loose the wardrobe, but gain drawers, the glycol expansion tank gets moved from the wardrobe area to up in a front window, more difficult to access and the water pump and associated plumbing is a bit harder to access IMO. The smaller two way fridge doesn't hold as much so that is the compermise there. You just need to decide what works best for you. I am happy with the smaller fridge and the wardrobe and would do the same again.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited October 2020
    Here is an Alde FAQ that answers a few questions about how much 12V power the Alde uses,  how much propane, etc.  It is a very efficient system.  You can also find the Alde manuals at the link, which will give you an idea of how the system operates.

There are now several different models of fridge scattered across the different years.  When comparing fridges, it is important to try to keep the fridge models straight and compare apples to apples.

Here is a thread from about a month ago that discusses the fridge power consumption in "real world" conditions.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    On al, the new TaB400s since 2020, the Alde glycol tank is in the front driver’s  side dinette window area, regardless of the fridge configuration.  Water pumps and Alde systems are the same setup also.  The big difference between 2020 and 2021 are first the Air8 A/C on the 2020 model, that is having issues keeping the trailer cool in hot weather.  The 2021 went back to the CoolCat A/C which can adequately cool the trailer.  The 2021 also has the relocated axle to compensate for the added front weight of the CoolCat.  The rear window has been moved up higher on the roof, to give more room in the rear bunk area.

On the 2020 and. 2021 models the wardrobe locker was changed, and a drawer added under the wardrobe locker, to compensate for the locker loss on the galle side where the AC/DC converter was moved to.  On early 2020 this was moved to the pax side dinette under seat locker area.  The WaCo AC/DC converter runs the trailer power when connected to the shore power mains hookup, and charges the battery. The Victron only charges the battery from the Solar system, included on the current Boondock edition.

Both the 2020/2021 have the Nautilus water system.  

The 2018/2019 had options for the factory Solar panels, which had 193 watt PV panels.  The 2021 has a smaller solar panel, but both seem to keep up with normal power use when boondocking.  The 2018 had a single 220 amp AGM, from 2019 on they have two 6-volt AGMs for slightly larger capacity.  The 2018/2019 had a larger wardrobe locker with the WaCo power converter under the wardrobe locker.  Inside the wardrobe was the Alde tank, easy to get to.  A hatch in the wardrobe floor gave easy access to the water pump and outside shower cur off valves, along with the water tank connections.  

On the 2020/2021, the water pump was moved to the rear under bunk locker, where the Alde system is, and the back of the Nautilus system connections, along with the Alde pressure relief valve (same location for all TaB400s).  This made this area a little more crowded from 2018/2019.  From 2019 on the Alde Flo was added for additional water heating.

This is a quick overview of the various TaB 400 models.  A new floor pan option was added in late 2019 for the TaB400 Solo model.  This version replaced the rear double (RV Queen) bunk for a twin bunk running fore/aft, that could be made into a larger RV Queen size bunk.  The new bunk arrangement eliminated the wardrobe licker, as the bunk now occupied this area, and the Alde and water pump systems are located under this bunk.  The Solo comes with a larger 2-way fridge, that is similar to the 3-way option on the standard rear bunk layout, but it is a compressor 2-way fridge.  

Here is the new standard floor plan:

Here is the Solo flour plan:

cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.