Options

Do I winterize if I'm using it?

Hello, I recently bought a 2019 Tab400.  I'm away from home and it's going to be in the low 20s for the next several nights here in Bozeman.  I'm wondering if I need to winterize while I'm here or if I can wait until my scheduled appointment in Boise a week from now?  I'm sleeping in the camper and it's above 60 inside.  Is there a rule of thumb of how low I can go below freezing, if I'm keeping it heated?  And is the cabin heat enough to keep my pipes from breaking at 20 degrees?  Thanks!!
Dona & Ben / 2019 T@B 400, no solar, 2008 Tundra / Boise

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    No guarantees here, but the general rule of thumb is you can get away with a few hours of below freezing temperatures.  The fresh water tank pickup and the waste valves are exposed and have potential for freezing.  Inside lines stay warm enough by running the Alde and opening doors to share the heat.  It does take a while for a large amount of water to freeze.  When in doubt, at least drain the Alde water tank and plumbing lines and add antifreeze to the waste gate valves and shower p trap.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DonaDona Member Posts: 35
    thank you for your thorough answer, Sharon! I don’t know how to PM in this forum, so this might add to the stream of msgs.  
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Welcome!  Here is information taken from the top of the Home page (How to Navigate the TaB Forum - Essential for New Members).  At the bottom of the attached document it gives you instructions for sending a PM.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited October 2020

• Options
    I don't need anyone to comment on this...I just learned more from reading the threads...I should've opened those valves.  Thanks. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Dona, don’t forget that we were all Newbies at one time. When I knew I was going to buy my 2014 T@B S Max, I sat down and read every single post on this forum. It’s a bit busier now, but it never hurts to try some reading. Of course we answer questions also, and we might point you toward another discussion. We are here for you. 

Keep your chin up. Sometimes the reason we know what we do is because we or someone else made a mistake and we all learned from it. Because you posted your problem and solution here, someone else will learn from it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”