Options

Has anyone replaced the 3-way with a large 2-way fridge in a 400?

We are finalizing the options we want so we can put in an order on a 400 BD. We have it all figured out except the refrigerator. I've read countless threads on the differences between the two. The technology of the 2 way seems to be better at low battery consumption and keeping the temp cool on hot days. Problem is, it's smaller and located down by the floor. We would happily spend some $$ to put a large 2 way in where the three way is located. We would order with the three way then take it out and sell it off. Replace with the big 2 way. 

Has anyone done this? Are there 2 way refrigerators that would fit in and fill the space? What are the downsides (assuming it would work)? I guess we would have useless vents on the side of the camper for one. 
Troy / 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon / 2021 Tab 400 BD / Sarasota, FL

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited October 2020
    I did a search last month on this, and did not find one that was an exact fit, neither has nüCamp.  The TaB400 Solo has a large 2-way compressor fridge, the twin size berth can be made up as a RV Queen, one inch wider than the Std. Tab.  If you want the larger 3.+cu ft fridge, that this is the way to go — get the Solo.  You at least you gan more clothes storage to replace the wardrobe locker, which the bigger 3-way fridge does not, you retain then drawer under the 3-way fridge option.   

The 3-way only gains about 1cu ft (or less) more space, as the new 2-way fridge in the galley counter is now 2.3 cu ft  (up from 1.7 in older 400s) Isotherm Cruise fridge with the Danfoss compressor.  If you want the rear fixed bunk, that just get it with the new 2-way fridge, and forget the larger wardrobe replacement fridge.  

Rob, if you decide you want to do the required cabinet work to make a larger 2-way to fit, than start off with the Wardrobe model, easier to do the required mod, and yiu do not end up with extra holes in the trailer side you do not need.

Another option is to add a small drawer type 2- way fridge in place of the drawer under the wardrobe, to supplement the under counter 2-way.  A few other options out there.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TRobTRob Member Posts: 54
    Thanks. Good ideas.
  • Options
    Just found an entire thread on this already. On my way to work through that one.
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    We will be doing this mod this winter. The best fit and quality (in our opinion) is the Isotherm Cruise Elegance 85. Though it's considered a 3.0 cu. ft. fridge, it looks like it will hold what the 3-way holds (inefficient drawer). RV shop is willing and able to do the work. After removal they will need to seal off bottom vent as the compressor and fan of Isotherm is back, top, right. Then build out slightly the two sidewalls, so flanges can be screwed in. I will make a 5/8" birch plywood "top" as there will be approximately 6" of usable space in cabinet opening.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    I look forward to seeing how it works out for you. We won't have ours until next spring I'm sure. Are you getting some wood or stain from nucamp for the opening? Or just going to match it on your own?
  • Options
    We will be doing this mod this winter. The best fit and quality (in our opinion) is the Isotherm Cruise Elegance 85. Though it's considered a 3.0 cu. ft. fridge, it looks like it will hold what the 3-way holds (inefficient drawer). RV shop is willing and able to do the work. After removal they will need to seal off bottom vent as the compressor and fan of Isotherm is back, top, right. Then build out slightly the two sidewalls, so flanges can be screwed in. I will make a 5/8" birch plywood "top" as there will be approximately 6" of usable space in cabinet opening.
    What did you think of their Freeline 115 model? Looks like it would fit at first glance.
  • Options
    TRob said:
    What did you think of their Freeline 115 model? Looks like it would fit at first glance.
    Ha, that model eluded me! Even more energy efficient than the CE 85. Likely no need to build out sides. Haven't looked at price, but will. Looks like DC only... which is OK with me. We're pretty much boondock only due to our Nat. Forest and Wilderness surroundings. I will get exact model number from Fabio at Indel-Webasto and pass it on. Thanks for the catch!

• Options
    Cool! It looks like a pretty good fit. Any downside to DC only? Seems the batteries would be charged if you are plugged in to shore power anyway.
  • Options
    TRob said:
    Cool! It looks like a pretty good fit. Any downside to DC only? Seems the batteries would be charged if you are plugged in to shore power anyway.
    There is an AC/DC option. About $100 more. Short search -- Defender Marine has a "MAP" price of $1338. Shipping is likely on top of that. It prices in with other AC/DC fridge options that are close to 3.6 cu. ft. The Freeline Elegance is a little over 4 cu. ft. with a monster freezer.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Below is schematic of Freeline 115 Elegance. It only comes in flushmount. Not a problem given extra space to depth. It anchors via clever system through sides of fridge.
    @TRob, since nuCamp isn't inclined to substitute a 2-way for Norcold 3-way, might they consider building the cabinet as normal and leaving the Norcold out? That would at least save the expense of the refrigerator. Note that compressor on this fridge is at bottom of backside. Maybe leave bottom wall vent as is and close off top vent?