Options

Asleep At The Wheel

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
edited October 2014 in Tips & Tricks

Lately, I find myself fighting drowsiness when I'm behind the wheel, not always, but sometimes.  I know the dangers, to myself and others, so I stop and walk the dog whenever the feeling begins.  I was wondering if some of you might have some tips/tricks to alleviate the problem.  I've tried:

-Turning up the music volume and singing along (this keeps the dog awake, but not always me).

-Eating sunflower seeds (this sometimes helps, but a person can only eat so many of those things, and besides, I don't think passing cars appreciate having hulls spit onto their windshield).

-Drink lots of coffee/Red Bull (very temporary fix, but it makes me stop more often...which I guess is another way to stay awake come to think of it).

-A clothes pin on the earlobe (I know, but seriously, I'll try anything).

Anybody tried something that works for you?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Larry, I've found that laying off of the caffeine helps me more than anything with the drowsiness.  I try not to drink Cokes (I don't drink coffee), but just bottled water while driving.  The drowsiness doesn't hit me very often now.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    We have a queen bed in the back of the truck. Anytime I get drowsy (and it can strike at any time, day or night) I pull off at the first convenient place to do so and just climb in the back, drop the curtains and take a nap. I think the longest I've ever slept like that is about 2 hours but most of the time it's about 30 minutes and I wake up feeling like I slept for 5 hours. Most often we leave the Atlanta area between 10 pm and midnight so that we can get clear of the congestion of the larger cities heading north or west and then pull over at a rest area, climb in back and take a nice long nap and then "start" the trip the next morning.

I have a history and innate ability to "power-drive" when I have to. As a sales rep for 4 years, I averaged 1500 miles a week. I've driven non stop from Connecticut to Georgia and once drove non-stop from home to Cheyene, WY. in 27 hours. I do find that strong coffee helps as well as the occassional 5-Hour Energy drink but not to excess. Also, like Verna says, drinking lots of water and keeping hydrated has many beneficial things going for it also.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Rzrbug, the 2 sure fire tricks for me are to put the window down and to get out and walk or do something to get your blood flowing. If you have Bluetooth, phone a friend.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Will have a chance to try all these tips out starting Tuesday on my trip out west.  Looks like about seven or eight full days of travel time, in addition to time spent driving around and sightseeing.  I MUST remind myself that I am not in a hurry and can stop whenever I need to.  My cell phone is paired with my truck automatically so that when I'm on the phone the conversation plays over stereo speakers and I talk hands free.  Also finally got a smart phone last week (Samsung Galaxy S4), so we'll see how all the new gadgets work out.  I'm already impressed with the camera.  Ain't technology wonderful?!  Beam me up, Scotty.... >-)

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    hey, Larry, keep an eye out for us. We are headed west next Sunday evening. Keep that honey and peanut butter under wraps. 
    I'll have my bear bells handy. Richard calls them "Bear Bait". 
    Those new phones have a learning curve. We have the same phone. Love it. 
    We also have a new GPS. It's the big 7" screen. Thought it would be too big but we like it.
    I can't remember the color of your T@B.  
    Safe travels. 
    bel and rich
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    LOL.  The peanut butter stays home on this trip.  I use honey in my coffee, so may have to sneak a little along.  I'm liking the phone better as I get used to it, and don't know how I ever make it without the GPS.  I plan to be in the Black Hills until about the 2nd or 3rd, then head to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons for a couple of days.  We just may run into each other.  My T@B is white with red trim, pulled by a red GMC Sierra.  If you come up behind me, you will see a "RZRBUG" sign on back in red letters and "Happy Trails Y'all" underneath in white letters.  It would be great if we could at least say hello.  Safe travels to you and Richard.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    Yea, that hello is gonna be close, we may have to holler. Cody on the 5th, Yellowstone-Fishing Bridge 6,7,8, Tetons-Colter Bay 9,10 11th. Jackson12,13th. On to Idaho and beyond. 
    We are silver with black trim. The new trim is glued on so maybe we will still be trimmed in black. We do not have any signage. Our tv is a pearl white Ford Explorer. 
    Our dog is white with black dots and a few brown dots. English Setter. 
    We discovered a new cute rv song called "M House". Cute lyrics. The tune should keep you awake on those long stretches of road. 
    Safe travels to you and Booger, as well.
    Belva and Richard
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Since I am retired and travel via "destination unknown" I too get tired behind the wheel on these long cross-country journeys.  For the most part I stop, get out and walk and take the dog out for a break as well.  But if you start to nod while driving (which has happened to me) It is best to just pull over, hop in the back and take a power nap as that will refresh you and will make your trip much more safe.  I'm selective as to where I do stop but travel during daylight hours doesn't pose much rsk if you can stop in a rest area and catch some sleep.  That is the beauty of these small trailers in that you do have the ability top rest when you have to as long as the cabin area isn't too cluttered up with gear.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ