Options

Cover or not?

Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
I live in the PNW. A bit wet but mostly light rain and rare small hail. I am at sea level so it seldom snows. I am a bit confused about the benefit of covering the T@B if the weather is moderate.  If covering is a necessary option for protection than I am willing to do so just don’t know how essential it is. I have a cover that has a door zipper so  I could use it but I would lose that toasty warm feeling I get on the days that are sunny. Will using a cover be of any long term benefit with regards to maintaining my exterior or is ok to skip it?
Kr@cken
2020 T@B 320 Boondock
Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
Clueless about everything electronic
2020 Subaru Ascent 
Bainbridge Island, Wa

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Around my place, I’d cover due to tree sap and bird poop. Having a carport means I don’t have to worry about that, so mine stays uncovered year round. If I eventually take it to visit family in AZ, I’ll cover it to protect from sun while in storage down there.

A cover doesn’t protect from hail, and snow will still have to be cleared off if it’s heavy. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 492
    Following as I am in a similar situation.  I am hoping to use my trailer even in winter and getting the cover on and off (mostly on) is not fun, and then what do you do with it when it is wet when you take it off? It is rather large to hang somewhere to dry.  :s
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    tombeauxtombeaux Member Posts: 60
    We use a cover. I can take it on and off by myself with a step ladder. The idea is to protect the unit from UV when we aren't camping. It won't protect from hail (I wish!), but it keeps the worst of the dirt off and slows fading. (Tip for putting it on... spread the cover on the ground next to the trailer, front to back. Roll each side toward the middle. Carry that bundle up the ladder and place on top of the tab. Then pull the side closest to you down. Put the ladder on the other side of the trailer and pull that side down. Voila!
    2018 T@B 320S. 2017 Toyota Highlander AWD
  • Options
    @tombeaux -- I have a Boondock and the cover gets caught on the Yakima rack.  I'm going to have to get out a ladder  :)

• Options
    JerseyJersey Member Posts: 21
    I use a cover but will take it off if using and no rain expected for multiple days. I also like the protection from sun, dirt, leaves, bird poo, and hail (at least some protection). Still able to get in and out with door zipper. Be advised, however, the cover is not waterproof (Classic Accessories, can't speak for Pahaque). I also throw a cheap $10 tarp over it for true water protection. I just don't like the idea of constant rain hitting it...camper is well sealed but worry about water infiltration; which I already had around back brakelight.  The cover +tarp combo gives good protection and peace of mind for me.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    We use a cover down here in FL.

One reason to protect the TAB from the sun/UV.

Another to protect it from dirt, birds, etc.

The cover allowed me to crack the windows open to the first/security opening and kept the rain out.  I used a generic damp rid inside to suck up the moisture (went thru 2).  And being in FL, we had heavy rains most of the summer.

A cover definitely cuts down on dirt.  We took the cover off, It had been on from February until last week.  There was some mildew on the inside of cover and some on the TAB.  The mildew on the TAB washed right off.  I soaked the cover in the tub and the water turned black, so it did keep the camper clean.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    I just received my Pahaque cover and it looks heavy-duty. I haven't tried putting it on yet and I'm sure there is a trick. I'll have to check out some tips. My T@B is stored under a simple lean-to that I built against the house over a concrete slab I had poured. That alone is pretty good protection and worked perfectly during some hail last weekend. I just feel it is better protected with a cover, but I have nothing to base that on. I'll let you know how I'm feeling about it over time. If it breeds mold, that will be a concern. 
  • Options
    I would love some feedback after you try the cover on. I will be putting in on and taking it off solo on a ladder on gravel. Is it lined? I heard some might have flannel. Mold is a big issue up here so I am concerned covering might make it worse.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    @Kr@cken -- I bought my 2018 from a private seller in Port Townsend in September.  They included the Pahaque cover and mentioned the cover did have some mildew on it.  After looking at the cover, and verifying the presence of mildew, I emailed Pahaque with questions.  Here are my questions and their answers, perhaps you will find them useful, too.

Q:  The cover appears to have some mildew on it.  Any suggestions for how to clean the cover?

A:  Mildew can be cleaned off if it hasn't been there too long. Use warm water and a little dish soap with a soft sponge. Don't use anything else.  If it has set into the fabric too much it's irreversible and there's nothing you can do about it. It will eventually deteriorate the fabric and it'll start to crumble or tear very easily.

Q:  Since I live in a rainy climate (hello, Seattle), is mildew just a problem I will have to live with?

A:  Anywhere there's water, mildew is just a problem we all have to deal with.

Q:  Should the cover be used in wet conditions?  Can the cover be put on a wet trailer or should the trailer and cover be dry when the cover is put on?  Note, my trailer is currently stored in the open, not in a garage.

A:  These Covers are meant to be used in the rain. It's an outdoor item that's it's sole purpose. The material is made to breathe a little, as to minimize mildew. But I'd make sure the trailer is dry before putting in on, yes.

Q:  Any tips for putting the cover on the trailer?

A:  There's no real tips. Just put it on. It's much easier to do with two people.

Q:  Do you sell storage bags for the covers?

A:  We do not currently make storage bags.

Q:  How do I care for the cover?  Cleaning, storage, etc.

A:  Keep it dry when not in use.

• Options
    Thanks got into, Getting it on a dry trailer. Hmmmm. Mine is an Over Drive pro and says it is water resistant. I may need to upgrade if I decide to cover. 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143

T@B Cover Comments                                           October 26, 2020 

Interesting comments so far! Our T@B has wintered both in Minnesota and Alaska where we now live. Both locations get lots of snow and long winters. We are also subject to frequent windstorms here coming down our glacial Matanuska River valley that bring glacial dust with them that tends to coat everything. It’s snowing now in Palmer, AK as I type this. 

As an RV “newbie” lacking experience I opted to get by with as little an investment as possible and bought a Classic Accessories PolyPRO3 cover back in 2015 when we purchased the T@B and were still in Southern Minnesota. Since I wanted to get one to fit over the entire camper, including the spare tire that I had mounted on the front behind the jack, I ordered one for the R-Pod that would fit up to a 17 foot trailer. The picture below taken in Minnesota shows how this works. The zippered door is a little displaced to the front, but really doesn’t interfere much with access. I also use old rags and towels with bungy cords to cushion some sharp edges on the hitch and step to reduce wear on the cover. 

Now that we live in South Central Alaska and I am dealing with back problems in my 80’s, I have developed a method of installing it similar to that described by “tombeaux” using a short stepladder on one side and a taller one on the other. One difference is that when I take it off, I reverse the process to roll up each side while it still is on the camper, pull it off and then roll it up with the yellow “front” tag showing when done. Then in the spring I take the whole bundle up to the roof and unroll it from there. I still make a number of side-to-side trips on each ladder to do this, but at my age I’m in no hurry and I don’t need another person to help! 

We are going into our sixth winter and the cover has held up pretty well, although I have seen some wear spots which were created by wind buffeting. So far, no noticeable mold. I seal the trailer up pretty well, cover the exterior A/C opening and use a bucket of dehumidifier compound as others have mentioned. I probably will have to replace the cover in another year or two, but in terms of the “bang for the buck” I have been very satisfied. 

Hope this helps other “newbies”! 

Fergie

• Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    I should have mentioned the post back in 2017 I made on covers. There also was a lot of information from other posts. Searching on "Covers" should yield a lot of info on the subject. In the end you have to make your own decision based on your winter climate, your physical abilities, your RV'ing life style and your finances.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/56950#Comment_56950

Fergie