Options

Aggressive dogs/vaccinated dogs at KOAs and other campgrounds

ZippyAZippyA Member Posts: 59
On my last trip a few weeks ago, a KOA in NY asked to see the vaccination records for my dog.  I've only stayed in about 7 or 8 different KOAs and this is the FIRST time it was requested, although the KOA sites say that owners should bring proof of shots.  I carry mine with me and was GLAD that someone asked to see them.  The KOA manager there says she hears this often from campers - that they are hardly ever asked to produce proof at KOAs.

I have also seen a few large dogs throughout the campgrounds when I walk my little guy.  Some looked aggressive and would leap and bark at my dog and thankfully most were chained. Some were sitting next to their owners and not sure if they were secured.   However, because of an incident that happened on my recent camping trip, I am a lot more nervous about aggressive dogs we may encounter on the campground.

We were not at the campground, but had taken off to explore a nearby park.  My dog was standing by me on his leash in the parking lot and out of the blue a pit bull jumped out of truck in the parking lot and attacked my dog.  My dog suffered three broken ribs and multiple wounds and was in the pet hospital there for 3 days.  The owner immediately tried to get his pit off of my dog and it could have been much worse.  We are home and he is still under the care of a vet and it will take quite some time for his ribs to heal.  Trying to keep a once very active dog who loved to hike immobile is really, really hard!  But he is on the mend.

My PTSD might be worse than his...don't know yet because he hasn't been around other dogs yet.  But I am definitely nervous about campgrounds now.  There doesn't appear to be any policies/practices about not allowing aggressive dogs (I lived in an apartment where certain breeds were NOT allowed).  And there certainly doesn't seem to be any consistency in checking to see if dogs are vaccinated.  

I don't want one incident to put a damper on future travel, but the image of my 10-lber in the jaws of a pitbull that would not release him, the image of my dog being shaken violently and thrown in the air, and then attacked again is something that I can't erase from my memory any time soon.   The owner of the pit said they were packing up to leave when a child opened the car door and the pit jumped out.  I guess a momentary lapse can happen anywhere which is why I now have trepidations about venturing out again.  My dog is 10 years old and two days before the attack he had summited a very rocky 4000' mountain in the Adirondacks when it was cold, icy, muddy, and extremely windy.  Now he's bandaged up, on 3 different meds, going to the vet every 3 days!

Any advice, insights?  Thx all! 
Aggie/ 2021T@B320S; Alde Compact 3020 HE/ 2021 Subaru Ascent
Rockville, MD (a D.C. suburb)

Comments

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    That is a very unfortunate occurrence. No advice really...just comments. NYS and many other states require vaccination records for pets brought into campgrounds. You will also need to present these records if you travel into Canada. Soooo, if you travel with a pet, bring the pets records along.
    WRT to aggressive dogs. This can literally happen anywhere. Dogs will be dogs. In the case of food, territory, etc. they will revert to whatever behavior their particular breeds might be known for...and it's not just Staffordshire breeds...a Dachshund will chase a German Sheppard given the chance. The only controlling factor are the owners. They need to anticipate and plan for "events". Campgrounds are a really tough environment. Most owners think that their pets are the best and most well behaved. Many allow their dogs to roam unleashed on their sites. They will tell you that their pet will never run away etc. It's nonsense and if the campground does not enforce the leash requirement, anything can happen. And, most campgrounds only enforce the rules after there is a complaint or a problem. 
    You encounter the same thing on trails....folks let their dogs run. I'm sorry, I am not interested in having your soaking wet beast jump up on me and cover me with mud...yes, I know that he's harmless and friendly...this is not my dog so keep him leashed and controlled. 
    If you are worried about your pet you need to decide if he really is a travelling companion. If you decide to bring your pet, try to anticipate problems and expect that other pet owners will be totally irresponsible. Act accordingly.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2020
    Ho boy, that's pretty awful. I'm sorry about your pup. You have every reason to be traumatized!
    I hope the owner of the other dog is covering your vet bills. I'm not sue-happy, but their cost of owning this dog should go up with every incident like this. Helps them to remember to restrain their dog, at a minimum.
    I have to agree with @tabiphile, that campgrounds are known to be crowded, often with unleashed dogs who have owners that feel they are 'out in the wilderness'. So we'll have to expect it, even though we don't like it.
    The public parks/campgrounds seem to be better, and enforce the rules more.
    Irresponsible dog owners... Argh.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    I am sorry for the experience you and your dog went through. We too have dogs. That unfortunate scenario you described should give anyone pause.
    I have never thought about what to do in the case of menacing and powerful dog. I know my impulse would be to intervene... and get injured, perhaps badly, in the process.
    Thinking about that reminded me of workers handling less than easy going cattle in work facilities. The "hotshot" cattle prod, used only when absolutely needed, saved many cattle hands from serious injury. To my surprise, there is a website for "dog repelling stun guns". Further down in the list is a practical hiking stick which quickly and easily becomes device that should make an aggressive dog yelp and run. Below are links to dog-specific and cattle devices.

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Rocky experienced an attempted attack by a big dog this summer at a campground...I stood between Rocky and the other dog. We were walking down the campground road when the other dog bolted (yes, that dog had a leash) and charged at Rocky. I yelled very loudly at the other dog and realized that I had my hand clenched to intervene. That might not be smart, but Rocky was a fraction of the other dog's size. Interestingly enough, Rocky barked right back at that growling, menacing dog, because he thought the dog was a risk, to me. We have also been harassed by off leash dogs where the owner wasn't even in sight.

I see a lot of emphasis on leashes, and I get why, but they can provide a false sense of security, especially when the dog can overpower the human and break free. A leash is a supplement for a trained (or dog in training), not a substitute for training a dog.

I did not take Rocky camping during his first year because I was not confident that he would not bark and I wanted him overall to be better trained. Why? Not for me, but out of common courtesy for other campers. I actively trained Rocky, but didn't think he was quite ready. If I had to do it again, I might take a pup with me, but I would need to be confident of their behavior.

Bottom line, we can only be responsible for ourselves and our dogs. Practice the Golden Rule.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014