Options

Ball height of 2021 Tab 400 (non-Boondock)

TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
Hi all - we have our order placed for our 400 but we are struggling in trying to pre-plan what ball mount we might need.  Our receiver is extremely low (top of receiver is 12" ground) and so we'll need a significant rise, preferably adjustable.  I asked my dealer and he measured a 400 non-BD off his lot as 20-21" to top-of-ball, but to me that seems even higher than some of the ball heights (19" or so) I've seen posted on the BD (which should be higher than non-BD), leading me to believe that his trailer wasn't level when he checked.

Can anyone with a 2021 non-BD 400 that's nice and level measure for me the distance to bottom of your coupler (I assume I just add 2" to this to get top-of-ball)?  I know I'll need to go a little higher than that to accommodate for TV sag but it'll give me a starting point..  

Thanks!
Tom

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    My 2018 Std Tab 400 (same axle/frame as a 2021 std TaB400) was 17.5-18” high.  So top of ball on TV would be 20”.  That said, most dealers sell standard r2” receiver draw bars and 2” balls, and they can work out the correct height.  Our Jeep Truck, with MaX two springs, drops about 2-inches (rear is 2-inches higher than truck frame level) which levels out the truck and holds the trailer level.  So you actually need to hook up the trailer and see what it actually does to the height of the back of your TV.  

The cost of a receiver draw bar and the balls is fairly consistent.  I worked out what I thought I would need, and ended up having to get a different draw bar from the dealer to get the trailer level on the truck.  So go out and buy the 2-inch ball of your choice, and let the dealer fit the correct draw bar.
    cheers.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Thanks @Denny16!  Challenge with my car is the hitch receiver is recessed about 5 inches under the bumper so standard rise mounts won't work because they'll interfere with the bumper.  But that said I might ask the dealer and in the spring go for a test hookup with a unit on their lot.  I may also pile the kids in the trunk and/or stand on a receiver extension and see how the sag looks..

I think with your 18" height to bottom of coupler that's about 21" to top of ball (most have an inch or so between base and ball in addition to ball diameter) so maybe the dealer isn't that far off after all.. I always thought the Boondock height was higher than the standard unit though - not sure how that computes.. unless the BD frame is higher but with same tongue height?  Anyways.. if I'm 12" to top of receiver, with a 2" sag I would be at 10", plus 3" ball (1" base + 2" ball), needing a 8" lift to get to 21"..
  • Options
    Yes, I see your issue.  The BD axle when I had it installed last mont, added approximately 3” height to our trailer, over the original standard non BD axle.
    I also thought the difference was closer to 4”, and got a new draw bar to accommodate that, plus 2”, and it was too high, had to get a 1-inch rise over the 3-inch one I showed up with to pickup out TaB400 from the shop.  Luckily, the dealer had the correct draw bar.  

E-Trailer, com has some extended draw bar setups that might work for you.
    cheers
  • Options
    Actually I made a mistake - your 18" to bottom of coupler means there's an inch of the ball shaft *below* the coupler, so the hitch height is 1" lower, not 1" higher, than I was calculating. Means I only need to find a 6" rise instead of 8" (woo).  I'm considering something like this, if I can confirm it'll clear my bumper: 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B008CE06ZA

Will check out etrailer as well - thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    Tom, that adjustable draw bar will add a lot if extra unnecessary weight, and probably us nit long enough to clear.  Here is what I used on my Jeep Renegade, only with a 5-inch rise:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Brophy/EA60.html

You can get a ball with a 1-inch vase to get you to 6-inches, if needed.
    Cheers

• Options
    edited October 2020
    You are right.  I printed out a scale image of the one I posted and made a cardboard model.  See photo - I'm clipping the bumper ever-so-slightly.. I just like the idea of an adjustable model so I don't need to buy multiple different drawbars if my first guess isn't the right one :). I'll browse etrailer a bit today - I saw ones similar to what you posted, but the higher price of the aluminum ones is a deterrent (especially with our Canadian peso ;)).  Then again Amazon has decent return policies, so maybe..... I'll call the dealer as well and see what they stock if anything..