Options

Electric heater / air purifier for Tab400

rarewisdomrarewisdom Member Posts: 3
Hello everyone. I've been a long time lurker and have learned a lot from this forum, so thank you for such a helpful resource!

I will be picking up a TAB400 2021 Boondock this week. We are going to be camping the same day through the weekend at a campsite nearby the dealer to learn the ropes, we live in a condo, so don't have the option of driveway camping first. I had a couple questions around heating (we're in the bay area in northern Cali). 

We plan to bring a portable Dyson air purifier and heater (plug-in). We'll be connected to shore power at the camp site. Would this draw too much power to be used in the TAB400? I am trying to understand what the wattage limits, etc. are, and how much wattage the Dyson draws. The reason for this, is that I'm a bit worried we will be without heat since reading up about the alde system, it seems like it doesn't heat up quickly, and takes a few hours? In any case, I just wanted a backup plan just in case we can't figure something out with the alde system (from what I've read it seems complicated). It's going to be my wife and I, and we'll have our 6 month old baby so I'm a bit worried about the heating situation at night time for the little one.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    The Alde will work just fine.  Might take a bit to get warm as you want.  Keep in mind NorCal cold and Nebraska cold are different things!

Look on the back of your Dyson or the instruction manual and look for the specs on the unit.  How many watts does it draw?  From there, you can determine how many amps it will draw on shore power.
    Our Tabs are 30 amp trailers (shore power).  That is "approximately" how many total amps you can draw before you start blowing circuit breakers.
    So, if I want to use my Instant Pot, for example:  On the power label on the back, it says 700 watts.  I am using 120v household current.  700w divided by 120v=5.8a .    (Watts divided by Volts gives you the Amps).
    Well below the 30 amp limit, and you should be able to use your Dyson.  (Check that power label).
    This is really basic......but gives you the general idea. What you need to know about the campground:  what power do they provide at the "pedestal?"  Should be 30 amps.  What cables and adapters might I need to plug in?
    Welcome to the Forums!  Here is a snippet from an RV blog that has another rundown:

Even with a 30 Amp service you need to be selective about what you are using. If you try to use too much the RV will let you know by tripping a breaker in the distribution box and hopefully no harm will be done. There is a short formula that may help you with this. 30 Amps X 120 Volts = 3600 watts. This is the total amount of power you can use before you overload the system. Think of it like this, with 3600 watts you could use 36 one hundred watt light bulbs. When you turn on the 37th light you will probably trip a breaker.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the helpful response and warm welcome.

I did some digging after your post. The campsites are KOA campsites, and I called both up and they're both 30Amp connections for the electric, so it seems to match the teardrop connection. One of them is a water/electric site only (for one night), and the other has full hookups (which I assume means, I have sewage connection too).

I looked at the Dyson specs, on the bottom of the unit it says: 120V 60Hz 12.5Amps. Also looking online, it looks like the wattage ranges based on what fan speed you have, but the max is 1500 watts based on the formula above.

120V(60Hz) x 12.5A = 1500 watts. Based on this I assume it'd be safe to run this at night, if we can't figure out the alde and nothing else is running, I may just run the Dyson heater for an hour or so to warm up and then turn it off. Agreed on that, NorCal seems to be 50s at night only! :)

We're very excited!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    There a couple of review sites for the Dyson and one gives this for watts:
    "In cooling mode, the Dyson Pure Hot+Cool has a power consumption from 36 to 44 watts, which is low enough for an average air purifier. The rated power for heating mode, however, is as high as 1575 watts. You should know that the heating mode can’t be energy-saving, and such power consumption is still better than some console heaters."
    1575 watts would be the maximum the unit would draw, probably at the warmest setting.  If you are running on a lower setting, obviously the draw would be much lower.   Bottom line, though, is you should be able to run this unit easily.
    Look at this thread about power cables and adapters.  Not sure what your dealer will provide.  I was given a power cable when I bought the trailer, and bought the Camco cables later.  The dealer provided cable is certainly workable.  There are discussions about adapters, etc.
    Sewer hoses may also be supplied.   They will also get you through a day or so, but a nicer sewer cable should be on your shopping list

2017 Outback
  • Options
    Thank you for helping to verify. That is great news, and hopefully we won't even need to use the Dyson.

The dealer will provide the power cables, but not sewer. I bought the RhinoFLEX 15', along with a Progressive Industries EMS for spikes/voltage protection. In addition, I also bought two fresh water hoses, regulator and water filter. I also bought some RV Camco toilet paper, and happy campers tank treatment. 

The RV dealer said they have chocks, levelers, etc. and most supplies in case we don't have anything for purchase (in case it's not given for free). And of course all the baby and camping supplies / food. Hopefully this is enough to get us through the first trip!
  • Options
    Good luck!  Send pics!
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2020
    Sounds like you're prepared!

Familiarize yourself with the location of the Tab's breaker box, just in case.

We don't have a 400, but the Alde can take ½ hour to begin to get warm, and then it probably takes no longer than a half-hour more to begin to warm the actual camper, at the outdoor temps that you're expecting.

Also, you could try to familiarize yourself with the Alde controls before you get your Tab, and then start the Alde when you first arrive at your site. You could even simply start it on propane, before you're all settled in and hooked up - not on the road, but once you're in the campground.

One other thing, the Alde system warms up more quickly when in 'propane and electric' mode, combined. It's a noticeable difference. I don't have the digital panel that you'll have, so I can't advise you on the settings for this mode, but perhaps someone here can.

Have a great weekend!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @rarewisdom, although we have a 320 S, we've learned that when exterior temps are very low, (we've experienced-10°F for days) and the alde is taking longer than we'd like to warm the trailer up, just turn on the cooktop burners for a few minutes. Using the cooktop for even 5 minutes, will warm the t@b interior up quickly. -Denise 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited October 2020
    @rarewisdom
    You'll find the Alde very easy to turn on...
    Press the power button on the left...
    Once on, press the Mode button on the right...and from that screen (which is a touch screen):
    -Set the temperature you want the camper to be at
    -Set the power source(s) on or off
    - For Electric power, there are three stages: Off, 1KW, 2KW. If on a 30A hookup, select 2KW
    - Optionally (or if not hooked to any electric), select Propane. It is either Off or On...
    You can select both Electric and Propane at the same time. The fastest heating time is with Propane, but if you're on an Electric hook-up site, I'd use their electricity and save my Propane. But that is up to you of course.

As @dragonsdofly states above, the stove top will heat the cabin rapidly...but is not meant to be used as a heat source (CO concerns). But 5 mins of the burners on will take off almost any amount of chill in the cabin. So maybe make some tea!

You'll also have the option to turn on the Coolcat Heatpump (controlled on/off by the separate Coolcat thermostat, just below the Alde control panel) if the temps allow - which in the Bay area I would think it would. 
    The Coolcat heatpump can be used to take the chill off, while the Alde is getting up to heat. It's a nice option to have. Just remember to remove the exterior Coolcat vinyl cover.

The Alde works beautifully, btw. It's got to be the best RV heating system out there. 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller