Options

keder rail

We have purchased a 1915 TAB Outback and recently an awning for it.
The keder rail (or what we believe is) has a black rubber "cord" along the entire length. Do we just remove this or are we missing something?

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited October 2020
    Welcome, jacksonvictoria. Yes, you remove it to use the keder rail. It's just decorative.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2020
    1915 -wow!  😉
    If you don't remove it, the wind may eventually do it for you while driving down the highway.  That was our experience looking in the mirror & wondering what is that black thing hanging from the end of our trailer.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    1915 Tab. Can’t be many of those out there. :)
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @jacksonvictoria -- GMTA, I just asked this question in another discussion!
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    ybakosybakos Member Posts: 46
    Do you remove it and leave it removed, or do you remove it only when camping and attaching the awning, and putting the black rubber back after removing the awning?

2022 Tab 320 CS-S Boondock
  • Options
    kevenvkevenv Member Posts: 27
    ybakos said:
    Do you remove it and leave it removed, or do you remove it only when camping and attaching the awning, and putting the black rubber back after removing the awning?

@y@ybakos Take it off and throw it away.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    I don’t use an awning, but I removed the black plastic to tighten the screws that hold the keder rail and corner trim in place (plus replace numerous stripped original screws with larger screws). After completing the work, I started to throw away the plastic, then decided to attempt to push it back into the rail. To my surprise, it slipped back into place firmly and without too much effort. I figure it will help insulate the keder rail screws from water intrusion and rust. The plastic has stayed in place in the rail for two years and I see no reason why it won’t continue to do so in the future.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    tphaggertytphaggerty Member Posts: 48
    I have a 2018 400 with the plastic still in. Looks better than the plain rail IMO. Never had an issue with it coming out while towing.
    2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL TV
    2018 T@B 400, 300Ah Renogy LiFePo batteries, 350W Renogy rooftop solar
    Poughquag, NY