Options

a/c on 110?

Our 2021 400 Boondock just arrived. I have been going through checking and learning the systems. I have it plugged in to shore power via a normal outlet. When I took a look at the a/c control the coolcat started kicking out cold air much to my surprise. I turned the a/c off since I'm not sure I should be running it on 110. 

So my question is can you run the coolcat on regular shore power? Will it harm anything or be a risk? It's on a very heavy duty extension cord, btw, so the cord shouldn't overheat at least. I also assume that you wouldn't want to run anything else at the same time that uses shore power. I don't have a 30 amp nearby and don't plan to put one in. 
Troy / 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon / 2021 Tab 400 BD / Sarasota, FL

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited November 2020
    Short answer is yes. Ideally, at home, the best you will find is a 20 amp circuit, but most likly 15 amp. Running the cool cat AND the microwave may be a push, defiantly on a 15 amp circuit. You will be fine, just don’t turn on everything on! Lol Edit: what May happen, if you overload the circuit will be that you pop the house circuit breaker.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    TRobTRob Member Posts: 54
    Thanks. I'll take a look at the circuit tomorrow. It's a heavy duty electric box in an industrial building. 
    Troy / 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon / 2021 Tab 400 BD / Sarasota, FL
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've run my CoolCat on a 15 Amp circuit.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    My garage circuit is 20 amp, and I use a heavy outdoor extension cord and the the adapter to connect to the 30 amp cord. Oddly my particular surge protector will not work on this but as it is my house power I am not as concerned about surges. The Coolcat in my 2019 starts and runs just fine, and we have at times used he microwave as well with no breaker issues

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    FYI - One thing I always do is use a full 30 Amp RV extension cord if needed, then ONLY the 30-15 adapter. I wouldn't trust even a very heavy standard extension cord.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 929
    qhumberd  If your surge protector trips on your home outlet, I would have the outlet or cord wiring checked.  Something is wrong.  The service from a 15 or 20amp outlet should work just as a 30 amp RV connection.  Electrically there is no difference except the maximum amperage available.  Your surge protector is doing what it is supposed to do.  Don't ignore the warning.

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    4ncar said:
     Running the cool cat AND the microwave may be a push, defiantly on a 15 amp circuit. 
    Actually, you can not run the Microwave and the Coolcat (with the compressor running) at the same time even on a 30A hookup...
    And they definitely won't run together on a 15A or 20A circuit.
    But you can run either individually on as little as a 15A circuit, with 20A preferred for the additional overhead.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller