Options

Progressive Industries meter thingie

I've read where some are using this meter thingie to check power.  ???  My husband says I should get this.  Hate to sound d__b, but what is it? what does it do? why do/should I need one?  And which one should I get? 
Martha '15 T@B CS Maxi

Comments

• Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Martha, do you mean the surge protector? If you are going to frequent RV parks with power hookups you will need this. It basically protects your camper if the power at the park is not installed correctly. 
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited June 2015
    Or, do you mean a little meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and moniters the charge state of your battery?
    Both the surge protector and the battery are good things to have.
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    Gosh, they all sound scary and something I might need.  Yikes!  Thank you all for your help.
  • Options
    You can also find them in most RV shops.
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    thanks, PXLated.  Hubby and I have been talking about taking a ride to Camping World (about a 2hr drive) someday with paper and pencil and see what's out there.  That should be fun!
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I just installed the Progressive Industry, EMS-HW30C last weekend.  It was not too hard.  I use Bogart Engineering Trimetric 2025-RV to monitor my batteries.  

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I added one, and love it. I know what amount of power my items use, and I have zero fear about plugging into old power towers. This past week it did block me from getting power when plugged into my friend's outlet. Turns out his extension cord had the ground plug snapped off. We went another route. (Don't worry, I was only running the fantastic fan and charging my phone and the battery!)
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    jcfaber1 said:
    I just installed the Progressive Industry, EMS-HW30C last weekend.  It was not too hard.  I use Bogart Engineering Trimetric 2025-RV to monitor my batteries.  

@jcfaber1or @XPADREXI think I am ready to think about installing a higher quality battery monitor. Am I correct in my understanding that the shunt needs to connect directly to the battery? So, in my case, The connection would go from the battery to the shunt and from the shunt to the battery cut off switch and then into the T@b where the Progressive surge protector is installed. Is that correct? Thanks

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    You guys - you're addicted to gizmos :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    You guys - you're addicted to gizmos :-)

What? It's an upgrade (major) to my current battery meter. :) It drives me nuts to not know the true charge state without unplugging everything or turning it off.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Just razin ya cuz I have a minimal system and get along fine :-)
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    The shunt is installed between the negative on the battery and all of the negative leads.  Check out Bogart Engineering Trimetric meter.  They are very helpful in installing their meter.  The Progressive Industry device I purchased is to protect from wiring faults on the 120 voltage AC side not on management of the batteries 12 V side.  We are camping  and it got down to 28 last night.  After running the 12V fridge, furnace, and CPAP we are at 85% of capacity this morning.  Gizmo crazy maybe, but it is nice knowing the state of charge.  Now our 200 watt solar will get it back to 100% today.  :)

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Haven't hit quite that low yet but did hit 32 a couple days ago. Don't have a CPAP but ran the Alde and fridge all night, woke up to 12.4 on my cheapy meter. Bright sun so my 120w got everything back to full before I packed up and hit the road.
    Here's another gizmo you guys need :-) ... Was in a truck stop this morning, saw a 1,500w inverter with a smartphone app for setting/monitoring.
  • Options
    jcfaber1 said:
    The shunt is installed between the negative on the battery and all of the negative leads.  Check out Bogart Engineering Trimetric meter.  They are very helpful in installing their meter.  The Progressive Industry device I purchased is to protect from wiring faults on the 120 voltage AC side not on management of the batteries 12 V side.  We are camping  and it got down to 28 last night.  After running the 12V fridge, furnace, and CPAP we are at 85% of capacity this morning.  Gizmo crazy maybe, but it is nice knowing the state of charge.  Now our 200 watt solar will get it back to 100% today.  :)
    Thanks! I knew that about the surge protector but just forgot. :)

I am looking at the Victronic, which also seems pretty easy but will look at Bogart.

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Haven't hit quite that low yet but did hit 32 a couple days ago. Don't have a CPAP but ran the Alde and fridge all night, woke up to 12.4 on my cheapy meter. Bright sun so my 120w got everything back to full before I packed up and hit the road.
    Here's another gizmo you guys need :-) ... Was in a truck stop this morning, saw a 1,500w inverter with a smartphone app for setting/monitoring.
    I do my best to avoid using an inverter ad they are energy hogs. Would rather get a generator.

• Options
    Ya, they are but when you have good solar you don't have to mess with hauling out the generator - especially for a one nighter.