Options

What is the vent under the T@B 400

GrayGhostGrayGhost Member Posts: 23
edited November 2020 in Camping & Travel
I have a 2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite.  I was looking under the trailer behind the right (door) side behind the wheel. I saw a vent (scoop) under the trailer;  Does anyone what this vent is and what it is for?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If the vent is directly under the batteries, it may be part of the venting for the batteries. 

My 2019 T@B 400 had a vent in the sidewall, but others have reported a hole drilled in the floor under the battery box.  

Look at the cargo door behind the tire, then to the small square vent to the upper right of the cargo door. That was my battery vent. 

If you don’t have this vent, then it would make sense that your vent is under the 400.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    I have the same model and year. That vent is directly below the battery box, so I suspect it is ventilation for the batteries. My year has two 6 volt AGMs wired to make 12 volts. If you open the access door to the battery shutoff you will see the flexible tube that exits the top of the case and goes to the white vent on the side of the trailer. This would be to vent hydrogen or some other dangerous gas build up in that box. But one of the engineers here will likely know the "why" of that system. I have read that that vent can be an entry point when towing on very dusty roads.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    I have the battery vent on the side of the RV, also.  Plus the vent underneath the RV.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    I am assuming that the two vents create the ability for any gas to exit up or down and during driving the scoop may create a suction effect leading fresh air into the battery box. Just guessing here.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited November 2020
    Yes, it is a battery vent on TaBs that have a sealed battery box around the batteries.  Our late 2018 was built the month before the battery cover and vents were added.  We have the battery cover and vent on order, going to give the bottom vent a miss, as it can suck dust up into the battery box when going down dirt roads.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thank everyone for thier answers, they all make sense.