Options

Adult Electric Scooter?

Anyone using an Adult Electric Scooter? Just something to toodle around a campground? I have seen a few on Amazon, one has a seat @$250-$300--Razor E300 Electric Scooter 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085HM3VE/?coliid=I1W7NP1F7LTUM2&colid=10JTC9Y710WAC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

What Brand? Pros/Cons? I am looking for something that is lighter and smaller than an electric pedal assist bike or regular bike. I can't lift a bike up onto a bike rack by myself. Would like something less than 45 lbs that I could put in my trailer or truck.  If there is even such a thing.
2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @lkc001, 40 min of riding time is not very long. While the price is quite attractive, I’m afraid you would be highly disappointed with such low useage times.  My personal
    opinion. 

It is 41 lbs approximately, foldable, costs a bit more than twice what your selection costs, but, you would be able to “toodle” around the campground a lot longer. 

I bought a folding e-bike (basically a no-name, low cost) about 4 years ago to see if I liked it. I love it!  I rode around campgrounds, sometimes 5 miles, never having to worry about running out of power.  I had knobby tires put on it so I could ride on unpacked gravel roads and packed sandy roads.  It weighs about 49 lbs and using two milk crates, I can lift it twice (one to the milk crates, then to the tailgate) to store it folded in the truck bed. 

It still works fine, but I’m ready to step up to a better name brand only because it will go farther and has wider tires for more flexibility in riding surfaces. I’m debating on another folding bike or a “regular” step-thru e-bike. 

So my advice is not to go super inexpensive, but spend a bit more, find out if you want to keep it or if it’s just a passing fancy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @Verna Thanks for the input---I do already have a nice folding electric pedal assist trike from Liberty Trike (you should check them out) and I love it.  So far, I just cannot get it into my truck by myself.  I've been trying to think about some different way to get it into the bed of the truck with a tonneau cover, if it will even fit. 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited November 2020
    lkc001 said:
    @Verna Thanks for the input---I do already have a nice folding electric pedal assist trike from Liberty Trike (you should check them out) and I love it.  So far, I just cannot get it into my truck by myself.  I've been trying to think about some different way to get it into the bed of the truck with a tonneau cover, if it will even fit. 
    Ooh, I was looking at the Liberty trike a couple of years ago. Doesn’t it also come apart into two pieces, so you only have to lift half the weight at a time?

I do agree with Verna, if you’re going to go with a scooter, spend a bit to get a highly rated and well reviewed one. From everything I’ve read, the cheaper ones break down pretty quickly.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    @lkc001, what I have toyed with, is rolling the new 70+  lb bike up an aluminum folding ramp from Harbor Freight, then folding it on the tailgate—no lifting. But, there’s nothing wrong with my current eBike, so I’ll probably keep it for another season to see how I feel about it this time next year. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    I have a non-folding Rad Rover electric bike that fits into the back of my Ford Expedition.  I use a folding ramp to get it in and out of the vehicle.  This website seems to have a wide selection and great prices.

https://www.discountramps.com/aluminum-motocross-folding-ramp/p/DBF-8206/

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    @Tabaz , which model did you get?  I keep looking at the step through non-folding, but I don’t think my truck shell is tall enough for it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @VictoriaP.  Yes if you cut the cable ties off the seat post then unplug the big battery plug in you can completely separate the front & back part--. Then when you hook the front & back together use small velcro straps to hold the wiring cable onto the seat post.  The back end is still pretty heavy.  The bike weighs @ 70 lbs I think. I have a tonneau cover on my truck bed-- I just don't know if the back end is too tall for the tonneau cover.  I would not be able to lift the back section into the bed of my truck by myself.  I do LOVE it-- it will go a very long way on a charge & my little fur baby loves to ride in the front basket -- I got a purple one.   Excellent quality & the company is super responsive.  I purchased a refurbished one & saved $200-300 & still got the one year warranty-. It only had 10 miles on it--was like new!  I need to do some more testing & think outside the box to get it in my truck or trailer so I can take it with me camping.

Woohoo!
  • Options
    @Tabaz . Thanks for the link!

Woohoo!
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    My DW has the Rad City - Step-Through.
    Great bike! Great responsive company.
    Verna said:
    ..... which model did you get?  I keep looking at the step through non-folding, but I don’t think my truck shell is tall enough for it. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I use one of my Segway ramps. Sold in pairs and way too expensive for this application. The Harbor Freight ramps are big and very heavy. I have to take the front tire off before loading it into the Ford. I have a front fork bracket permanently mounted to the floor of the Ford. Works great.
  • Options
    Thanks, @Tabaz , Frank. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ChanW: Not to go off topic, but the folding or step-through Rad is more practical than the model I have. It is huge. However, I do enjoy wearing my Viking helmet with horns while riding. Men cower in fear, women faint, and children run for cover.
  • Options

@ChanW, the RadRover step-Thru is the non-folding one I like, but the folding step-Thru is actually more practical to me. Decisions, decisions.... 

But, @lkc001, have we helped you?  Actually that Segway scooter looks pretty good to me!  I would definitely wear a helmet, as I do on my bike. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - there was a folding Rad at T@Bazona last year. I was very impressed and wished I had bought it instead of the Rover. Much lower seat height, smaller tires, etc. If I had to stop quickly on my bike and plant both feet on the ground, I would be singing Soprano upon discharge from the hospital.
  • Options
    @Tabaz , RadCity Mini Step Thru makes the most sense for me. It’s a folder and I can reach the ground, just as I can on the bike I have. 

You wouldn’t be you with a soprano voice, by the way....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Verna. Yes!  Thank you all!   I’m going to try a few other ideas including your thoughts of getting it up on the tailgate via a ramp or something then folding it—or something— experiments—-and as always the funny stories are always great!!  We need more laughs right now🙂
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    @Tabaz , my RadCity, white, full size, step-Thru eBike has been shipped. Yippee!  I decided to keep my folding unknown name Amazon eBike for travel, but I wanted a stronger frame bike for biking the trails around here. It’s time to find out more about this town that Zi live outside of and what better way than by riding around on a bike. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I bought a Rad Mini folding bike a few months ago. Really, really like it. No longer use the Rad Rover. I strongly suggest getting a “step-thru” electric bike for easier mounts and dismounts.
  • Options
    @Tabaz, step-Thru is the only way for we “senior” riders!  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2021
    A step through electric is nice, but I am still trundling along on my hard tail mountain bike, great exercise.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny - I have a $2,500 REI mountain bike an equally expensive Trek road bike. All I can say is that the electrics are SOO much more fun to ride! I’m actually getting more exercise because I keep looking for ways to use my bike instead of my truck. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2021
    Yes, I hear you, Tabaz. I sold my road bikes last year, with the intention to get an electric, but Covid squashed those plans, the bike I wanted was back ordered.  Still might happen next year, but meanwhile, I am just pedaling along... 

I got to test ride one of the first electric, bikes, when Chrysler came out with one some odd 10 years ago, it was fun to ride, but heavy compared to my road bike.
    cheers.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    I’ve got a Segway ninebot that I use in state parks when I’m too lazy to ride or walk to the showers.   I love it as I also use it at home going between my daughters house and ours.  The downside is no suspension so the ride can be bumpy and you have to avoid grooved pavements.   Battery life, speed, and distances between charges is excellent.   I also use it when I tour historic districts for my photography adventures!  
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I bought a "lectric" folding fat tire bike.  I only have 200 miles on it so far, but it is working out great.  I fold it and haul it in the back of my Jeep Wrangler standing up and tied down.  This leaves room for the cooler next to it.  A Phoenix, AZ based company.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    Ron - please send a link to that retailer.  I ALWAYS try to buy from local vendors.  Dance with the one that brung ya as they say.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    lectricebikes.com.   You can demo ride at their Phoenix location. I picked mine up there and took it home. 
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    Wow - great pricing.  $500 less than what I paid for my e-Bikes from Washington state.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I know this is a little of topic, but may be something to consider. I no longer trail ride. Because I have a knee that no longer works very well. I do like touring through the camp ground, but walking any distance doesn’t work either. So I was looking for a way to get a little exercise, and an electric scooter seemed counterproductive. I settled on this. It rolls quite easily with little effort. Even up slight inclines. Light weight, fairly easy to load and carry.

Mongoose Expo Youth Scooter, Front and Rear Caliper Brakes, Rear Axle Pegs
    by Amazon.com
    Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FB5VFGM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_imm_awdb_AG7QTX9JJD4W48V6NGGX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Hey, @Dalehelman, did you get the pink one for your better half?😂😂😂

Seriously, I think the scooter is a great idea for you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited May 2021
    @Ron, DH and me have been looking at the lectric bikes. Did you get the recent upgrade X2? Or is yours the first version or step thru model? -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.