1/2 ton truck and tailgate clearance

I expect to take delivery next month on our new 320s.  I will be towing with a Ford F150.  Question for others with this combination: Does the truck tailgate clear the trailer jack hand crank?  

Comments

• jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    It probably won't clear the jack. I have a F150 with a 400 and its not even close. 
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    It doesn't on mine either. I make sure to place items I will need for setup in the bed so that I can reach them with the tailgate closed.
    I have a board I cut that I lean on the jack handle for the tailgate to rest on if I really need to open the tailgate with the trailer connected.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited November 2020
    When I first picked up our 320 with my lifted F350, it's tailgate would clear the jack height wise.  I soon realized we needed a smaller truck to properly tow a nuCamp trailer (after reading the sticker on the trailer). 

We bought a Colorado to use as a TV. It's tailgate doesn't clear. We bought a Jack-E-Up to make the jack removeable. Alas, it wouldn't fit the trailer without serious modification because the boondock platform interfered.

Ultimately we purchased a 12" hitch extender. The tailgate now clears the jack, I've read that the extender does reduce the TV tongue weight capacity by about half. Even so, it is well within specs with a truck. Our trailer tongue weight is 222LB. The halved capacity of the TV is 350LB (rated at 700LB without the extender). Hope this helps...

12 in. Hitch Extender (harborfreight.com)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    Hmm.  Thanks for the information guys.  I am using a variable height hitch - so the ball is essentially on an extension already.  The receiver bar has dual holes for the retainer, one gives an additional two inches of extension.  Guess I will just have to wait and see.  The F150 has plenty tongue weight capacity, so an extended hitch isn't going to be an issue there.
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    We tow our 400 with a Nissan  Titan and the tailgate clears everything. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited November 2020
    Most PU trucks have a setting for lowering the tailgate half way, I use thst with our setup, it allows access to the bed, without hitting the tailgate on the trailer jack.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No, your tailgate will not clear your tongue Jack handle. But, if you use Dale Helman’s mod for replacing the handle with a bolt, the tailgate will clear the tongue Jack. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    edited November 2020
    2018 Chevy Colorado tailgate wouldn't clear tongue jack handle on 2018 Tab 320S BD. First I did the @DaleHelman power tongue jack conversion mod. Still not enough clearance. I found a Curt Class 4 ball mount with a 9-3/8" long reach. Tailgate now clears jack by a half inch on flat ground. A typical Class 3 ball mount has about an 8-1/4" long reach. This gives a 1-1/4" extension with out using a hitch extender.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
    edited November 2020
    Be careful, the greater the distance between the TV axle and the hitch ball, the more unstable the towing rig may become.  Adding a hitch extension not only increases this distance, it also reduces your max tongue weight capacity.   You can compensate for this by reducing your towing speeds, but adding more distance get the hitch ball and TV axle, changes the towing dynamics of the TV and trailer.   But again, this is a modification I would not do.
    cheers
    @tybladesmith, I had to get a 14” ball mount from etrailer, with the guarantee it would not affect my towing capacity. That and performing the @Dalehelman mod allowed me the ability to lay my tailgate down flat. No sway, no ill effects with the 400 or with the new 320.  Tows like a dream. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    Went with a Jack E Up on for use with my Ridgeline. Made quick disconnects for the wiring. Like not having to worry about jack foot too. Small hassle taking it off and putting it in the bed when traveling but not that big a deal. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
    I also think rcarlson1957 the Jack E Up is a better solution, solves both issues at one go. Cheers
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    I used the Jack-E-Up but cut out these areas, love it on my Jeep. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    Nice work @gulfarea. What have you done with your spare now that it isn't on the platform?

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    CrabTab I use the Tab spare on the Jeep with this adapter, that way I only have to carry 1 spare tire and can use it on Jeep or TAB, it is mounted on the back of the Jeep not on the TAB. In the second photo you can see the TAB tire on the Jeep. I took the Jeep up to 75 MPH to test it all went OK. The adapter only cost me about 32 dollars.  Difference in tire size of the two rear wheels was handled very well by the differential like the Jeep was going in a very big circle. Be careful if you put it on front of Jeep as when hard breaking the wheel is out past where it normally rides and will pull to that side when breaking hard like having a flat tire and braking. I don't recommend going on cross country with this set up but it sure can get me to a place to get a new tire and it answers the question of what to do with the spare!. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    @CrabTab, where did you find the info on the tongue weight reduction versus length of extender?
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
    @jimcenname, this is for a “hitch extender” https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Curt/C45795.html. Read the info and it does say it will cut the “towing capacity” by 50%.

This is for a 14 3/4” long hitch, with no cautions about weight reductions:
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    edited December 2020
    @verna @jimcenname I use a similar hitch as Verna and reviewing the etrailer information the distance from hole to ball is 10 3/4” compared to the hitch extender which is 14” hole to hole and keeping in mind that you still need to add a hitch which would add x inches hole to ball. So it is no surprise that the warning is given about the towing capacity reduction.  I tow with a Tundra and the longer hitch and the tailgate just clears the Jack-it bracket around the jack. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    edited December 2020
    @Verna @jimcenname I checked my actual equipment and found the hitch I used is 12.5” hole to ball, my previous hitch is 7.5” hole to ball. So by picking up 5 inches in length my tailgate clears my Jack/Jack-it. The listed hitch capacity is 7500 # and tongue weight of 750# which is suitable for my needs.  
    Just to put the extender/capacity in perspective ,
    If I used the extender with my original hitch it would increase the distance to the ball by 14” (total 21.5”) while the longer hitch is only 5” longer at 12.5”.  The decreased capacity with the extender makes sense if it increases the length by 280% compared to the longer hitch. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    edited December 2020
    @jimcenname

Below are images showing torque applied to a bolt. Think of the the weight as your trailer tongue and the bolt head as the vehicle. When the trailer ball moves further away from the vehicle it takes less weight to reach the same torque value (maximum tongue capacity ).

This is why the trailer being longer distance from the vehicle frame reduces the tongue capacity.

Here is one reference:

How to Figure Weight Capacity When Using a Hitch Extender or Extra Long Ball Mount | etrailer.com

My understanding is the distance of the ball from the vehicle and not the type of extender is what reduces capacity.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    @Verna @DenisP Thanks for the elaboration. When I picked up my T@B from the dealer I used a borrowed hitch shank which was shorter by a few inches than the Curt shank I later purchased. Having studied mechanical engineering in college I realized the consequences. I agree that a longer hitch shank produces more torque on the TV's hitch receiver and therefore reduces the TV's capacity. Also, the increase in torque will increase trailer sway because that extra torque will provide more upward force on the TV's front wheels. (Think see-saw, push down harder on one end of a see-saw and the other end lifts more). 
    2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
    @Dennisp, the weight rating on the Curtis hitch, is the max load the hitch coupler/ball mount can hold, and has nothing to do with the TV tongue weight/tow capacity.  You want to make sure all the parts of the hitch are rated for or exceed the TV tow specifications.  A TV with 500/5000 lbs rating still has this rating (500/5000) with a hitch draw bar/ball mount of 7500 lbs.  When you extend the hitch ball back past the standard 6-7” draw bar length, you are increasing the lever, and reducing yiur TV tongue weight rating.
    cheers
    @Denny16
    my Tundra has 9600 # towing and the tongue weight is not an issue. For my setup the longer hitch is not an issue. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    We installed an "Ultimate Jack" on our 320 to give us clearance for tailgate drop or hatch opening . 
    Works like a charm, and is not all "wonky" loose like the Jack E Up can be . The Ultimate Hitch is a solid mounting hitch style that has a pin lock , so you can adjust the height of the jack, or even
    completely remove it on the fly . We love ours . Works perfect . 

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Ultimate-Jack/322-RDJ-2K.html

Ultimate Trailer Jackjpg
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
    2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
    2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
    2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

That Ultimate Jack looks great.  I think my adjustable hitch with a mildly long 12.5 inch hole to ball length may give me all the tailgate clearance I need, but if not this is definitely my go-to.
    @Dennisp, the longer he distance from the rear axle of the TV to the trailer hitch ball connection, the more unstable a trailer can become whilst towing.  The trailer can become more likely to sway or fishtail more easily, than with a closer TV axle to ball distance.  This is why 5th wheel rigs with the trailer pin over the rear axle are the most stable.  Something to be aware of when towing any trailer.
    cheers
    The standard Curt hitch I have used for years has a 2 inch drop and it measures 11" from the shank hole to the center of the ball.  Measure yours and see what you get.  The hitches we are talking about measure 12.5 inches from hole to ball.  Not significant enough to dangerously compromise a full size pickup factory hitch . . . but it does appear to give us just enough clearance to allow us to fully lower the tailgate and avoid conflict with the trailer jack.    These are not hitch extenders, which can add 6, 8, even 12 inches to the hitch length and involve inserting an additional tube between the truck receiver and the ball mount and I do agree could cause some problems.
    @TerryHutchinson, I agree with you. My hitch is 12 3/4” from one end to the another. Not one of those added “extenders”. 

Towing the 400 and now the 320 with the F-150, I have never encountered any sway or fishtailing.  

There is a difference between a hitch and an extender. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    edited December 2020
    @TerryHutchinson and @Verna I have towed my 400 with the  Curt hitch with 12.5 hole to ball for over 22,000 miles under different conditions and elevations without noticeable sway, porpoising or issues.  I tow at 60-62 mph with my 2013 Tundra which has ample tow capacity and has been a nice combination.  I have a Jack-it bike rack and the tailgate clears it without issue. YRMV
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
    Yes, thus us grand.  Towing with a larger TV does have its advantages, and a draw bar receiver to ball distance of 7-12 inches seems to be standard.  Mine is a straight drawbar, and is around 7.5 inches long.  I also do not fp have any issues towing the 400, with my current setup.   I was previously discussing general towing theory.  I agree there is a big difference with a draw bar that is 12-inches or less, vs a hitch receiver extender, which can be problematic.
    cheers