Dealer Walk Thru on Delivery Expectations

Hi,

I am wondering what kind of experience to expect when I pick up my new T@B in January.    
I would like to go thru every system, to the level of putting water in the tank, checking the propane etc.
Ideally I would like to run everything and that's going to take a few hours I would expect.  

The dealers are selling a lot of units right now and after the sale I do not expect them to be as friendly.  Maybe I am being negative, but as DaletheMan says "I have low expectations for service and am rarely disappointed". 

Are these checks done by the dealer when the unit arrives prior to the transfer to the owner?
Should I plan for just a quick walk thru with an explanation on how things work?

I understand the trailers are winterized before leaving the factory.
If the dealer performs a systems check of the plumbing is it correct to assume it will be winterized again before leaving the dealer lot in winter?  I will be going from 30-40 temps at the dealer to well below freezing temps at home.

I think I have gone with a good dealer and would like to be as knowledgeable as possible.
I know they are busy and I don't want to waste anyone's time.  I would like to be a good customer and have a good relationship with them.
I want to avoid having false expectations.

I have learned a lot on this site and appreciate the feedback.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

Comments

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I can’t say what dealers are doing now, and my own Tab walkthrough last year may have been shorter than some, since I have plenty of previous RV experience & learn better by reading & doing rather than having someone walk me through things. I do suspect “a few hours” of actual time with a tech inside the trailer is probably setting your expectations quite a bit higher than is realistic even in normal times, and certainly right now. My new car is WAY more complicated than my Tab, the dealer wasn’t particularly busy on a Sunday morning, and that orientation was still only half an hour, because, pandemic. Nothing is normal right now.

My Tab orientation was perhaps 45 minutes, including significant time spent on hitching up as that was my own main concern. We did fast run throughs on everything. Water and propane were already on board and the Tab was plugged in when I arrived so they could have everything ready to demonstrate. Had I been utterly new to RVs and not the type to research everything myself, I would have asked both ahead of time and again on meeting the actual tech if videoing the walkthrough would be OK. 

Honestly, I’d prepare your questions now...and then search for the answers here first. There’s a reasonable likelihood the information you need is here, and equally good odds we have on the forum at least one person (and probably several), who have more in depth and specialized knowledge on the various specific Tab systems than does a tech who has to deal with multiple brands and models of RVs. Figuring out answers to as much as you can prior to delivery will help you recognize and understand the demonstrations as you go through them, and will leave you room during your actual orientation for questions that only come up as you go hands-on with the systems. That way, you don’t have to worry that you’re annoying the tech or wasting their time.

All that said, you really need to contact your dealer with many of these questions. Each dealer handles things differently, and you need to ask them if they test all the systems prior to your arrival, during walkthrough, or at all. Whether or not they winterize again after that, I don’t know as I took delivery in spring, but again, that’s something to inquire about directly rather than assuming one way or another. Normally, dealers perform winterizing as a paid service, so I would also ask if re-winterizing is included in your dealer prep costs, or if there’s an added charge, will they be able to do it while you wait, and how long that will take.

Once you get home, plan to spend a fair amount of time getting to know your new trailer, and know that you can always bring any questions you have back here for help. The owners’ community for these trailers is the best resource you’ll have, and we’re here to help because others have helped us when we were new too. 😊
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    How many car dealers go over every detail before you drive off? Maybe they should (especially to explain you don't need to drive with your fog lights on 24x7)? By the same token I expect most RV dealers only cover the very basics and many probably don't know much more than that themselves. Just like at the NuCamp factory where few actually own and use the campers they build, the same goes for a lot of dealers, they are sales people selling campers. I know a guy that has sold RV's at two dealers, motorcycles and now cars in 24 months, that is often the typical sales person, just no real time to learn a product they are selling. Set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed. Bottom line is going to be lots of learning once you get out there and why often driveway camping is a good first step.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • kkfouchekkfouche Member Posts: 16
    There is a great 3-part video of a dealership walk-through when picking up a 320 S camper. I don't know the couple's names, but the videos were helpful and I appreciate their effort to share info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXjPjP1dcX4&t=50s
    2021 Tab 320 Boondock
    VW Atlas
    Asheville, NC
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    I'd highly recommend you record the delivery walkthru yourself on a GoPro or similar device. There is a lot of information thrown your way and it is highly likely you won't recall all the details. And to be honest, some of the "manuals" provided by equipment suppliers are a bit less than comprehensive.

Ask questions! Don't be afraid to say "I'm not familiar with that" or "Tell me again why this is important." 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    You guys are implying that the dealer gives the buyer information. When we arrived to pick up our t@b, they sent a trainee salesperson into the bay which held our trailer. She handed me the keys and asked "any questions?" I asked where's the alde? She answered "what's that?" I replied "never mind". She left. We hooked up and left. We didn't bother to tell them we were gone. That was the extent of all information exchange. The OP may get one of those dealers. And we are all here to help.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Honestly, you really should insist that all things work on your walkthrough, check all trim, fittings, doors, etc for good fit. Spray water on it, and see if there are any leaks. Make sure all systems work on power, battery, propane, electric. Make sure water systems work on city water and the water tank. You should "dump" the tanks, etc., etc. You should hitch and unhitch. You should run the stabilizers up and down. You should open and shut all windows, and should run all the fans, check all the lights, and plug something into all the plugs. Test, the ground fault. Test the lights. Test the TV/radio, test the smoke alarm, test the propane CO2 sensor. check all the cushions for looks, fit. check the door locks. Check all this for getting stuff fixed before you leave with it. Open and shut all cabinet doors for fit, and adjustment, etc. Check your running lights. If you are not local on your purchase, camp for a couple of days nearby, then have an appointment for any last minute tweaks before heading home.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @dragonsdofly
    Wow...that's pathetic. Trust nuCamp was made aware as it reflects on them in addition to the dealer. Hopefully your experience is the exception to the rule. 

I can say my walk-thru was comprehensive and answered many questions. That said, I do wish I had recorded it. But as you say...."we are all here to help." 

This forum serves as a walkthru on steroids! Just after-the-fact....
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• runaway30runaway30 Member Posts: 86
    All good advice thank you.
    I have been looking at the 400 for over a year and so have done a fair amount of research.  Since I made the purchase I might be spending a little more time on the forum. Ha Ha I probably have watched all the utube videos at least once, and downloaded all the manuals.  So I feel I am starting to understand how the systems operate.
    I went to several dealerships shopping and did experience different levels of knowledge on the salesman's part.  But it understandable as they are selling multiple brands that change yearly, and might have just started working as was pointed out.
    No big deal I know what I am looking for.

I guess as much as anything I just expect them to go thru everything with me to verify it works.  Even if that means unwinterizing and rewiterizing it.  And if it comes to it I feel confident I can winterize her after all of the information in the forum on that topic.

Going straight to a RV park while still in a temperate climate to test everything out is an interesting idea.  Big Sur CA is in range.

Thanks again for all of the help

• pakpak Member Posts: 113
    My orientation was basically a non starter. The normal guy for t@bs was out for the day. Since we live 110 miles from the dealer we were not inclined to reschedule. The fellow we had was not very familiar with t@bs and did not know much other than the basics. He also knew zero about the alde system. That said the learning curve was pretty steep. This site and many of you helped an immeasurable amount. I also think that because t@bs are on the low end of the overall market with regard to price and sales commissions there is not much effort applied to them.
  • TabRookieTabRookie Member Posts: 26
    Seems like our delivery was better than most but not perfect. We were introduced to the dedicated delivery guy and gave us all the time we wanted.  I think we were there for two hours or more.  He was patient with us and seemed to know a lot about trailers in general but stumbled when it came to Tab 400 specific things like the Alde.  Even admitting as much during the conversation.  I can't say I was surprised because the dealership sold a lot of brands and Nucamp was a small percentage of their inventory.  

This was our first trailer and we researched it to death before committing so I think we were better informed than he was.  I'm not saying it was unpleasant but it sure would have been nice to have the orientation done by someone with expert knowledge of the specific model.  Maybe you can get that from a dealer that only sells Nucamp products.  
  • JabGopherJabGopher Member Posts: 63
    I've mainly relied on YT tech walk throughs, this forum, and experimentation to learn my 320.

Rather than a walkthrough, I would prioritize checking everything at delivery.
    2021 Tab 320 S Boondock | 2021 Ram 1500